vfr flight following

beechcraft flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
beech pilot
Usually out of courtesy i request a vfr descent to my destination , i do this to let approach know i would like to start my decent and avoid any other traffic that may interfere with my descent. 90 pct of the time approach will say "vfr descent approved descent at your descretion" , the other 10 percent the approach controller will say " no need to ask drscend at own discretion " so the question is whats the correct procedure? thanks

Would you rather be chided for asking something you don't need to ask, or doing something they did not expect you to do?
Think your 90/10 ratio is also a clue.

Let them know. My numbers are about the same as yours 90-10. Often they thank me for the information. No data but my guess is the same 10% would be the ones chiding you for not saying your intentions as well…

Usually out of courtesy i request a vfr descent to my destination , i do this to let approach know i would like to start my decent and avoid any other traffic that may interfere with my descent. 90 pct of the time approach will say "vfr descent approved descent at your descretion" , the other 10 percent the approach controller will say " no need to ask drscend at own discretion " so the question is whats the correct procedure? thanks
Don't request. Just tell them you are going to descend. Then all they have to say is Roger. If you request then they gotta say more words. Like descent approved or something like that, OR, give you the speech about how "no need to ask drscend at own discretion."

I'll inform the controller like others have said. 99% of the time they've simply acknowledged or said VFR descent at my discretion. However, one time they requested I maintain at or above a certain altitude due to traffic.

I'll inform the controller like others have said. 99% of the time they've simply acknowledged or said VFR descent at my discretion. However, one time they requested I maintain at or above a certain altitude due to traffic.
Yeah. Good idea to tell if them you’re going to descend before pulling the throttle than pull the throttle and then tell them you have begun descent.

Like others have said, just tell them. Nxxxx begining vfr descent. If it's a problem they'll tell you. If they don't answer you don't have to wait. If they told you previously to maintain an altitude, you need permission.

Usually out of courtesy i request a vfr descent to my destination

Yup. 4-1-15 b. 2.
“…Pilots should also inform the controller when changing VFR cruising altitude…”

Also note it says "should" and not "must and "inform" not "request"

If your call to ATC rquires anything other than a response of "thank you" by the controller, you have made a request, not informed.

The controller is correct, absent previous altitude restrictions no need to REQUEST anything but the proper courtesy call to ATC is "NorCal...Slylane 345 starting VFR descent for Podunk". If they need something from you for traffic they will let ya know.

"VFR altitude at pilots' discretion" response means just that...it is their way to acknowledge the call with giving "permission" or instruction and your discretion to descend where you want to still within the regulations and hemispherical rules.

Last edited:
When I get VFR flight following most of the time ATC asks me to advise of any altitude changes. That implies that I should inform them when I am ready to do my VFR descent. Sometimes they ask me not to descend at this time, or to descend no lower than a certain altitude or descend to a certain altitude and no higher to avoid traffic. Isn't that why you asked for VFR flight following in the 1st place?

Back