Sling Aircraft inching their way to Oshkosh, big brass ones.

So, are they planning to fly them back home now that Oshkosh is over?

(I assume not...)

One of them had the propeller off and the engine area clearly attended to. It seems that not all went well.

They completed the journey and landed safely at the destination. That's pretty "all went well" in my book!!

One of them had the propeller off and the engine area clearly attended to. It seems that not all went well.
The large tent they originally had them under collapsed during the storm on Saturday night and struck (and damaged) several of the aircraft. Decent chance they were attending to some of the damage that was wrought by the tent collapse. I saw some pretty significant body damage (appeared to not cause airworthiness issues, but still...), and it wouldn't surprise me that a part of the tent structure pranged a prop pretty badly.

That actually begs the question... does a prop strike on a stationary prop still require the level of inspection that one would need with a rotating prop?

That actually begs the question... does a prop strike on a stationary prop still require the level of inspection that one would need with a rotating prop?

Potentially, yes. Just ask all those folks who encountered a collapsed hangar or a hurricane while tied down.

The large tent they originally had them under collapsed during the storm on Saturday night and struck (and damaged) several of the aircraft. Decent chance they were attending to some of the damage that was wrought by the tent collapse. I saw some pretty significant body damage (appeared to not cause airworthiness issues, but still...), and it wouldn't surprise me that a part of the tent structure pranged a prop pretty badly.

The storm happened 4 or 5 days before the high wings arrived.

does a prop strike on a stationary prop still require the level of inspection that one would need with a rotating prop?
FYI (apparently not totally relevant in this case, but...)
On a Rotax 912/914 the prop is not connected to the crankshaft - so if there were a a stationary event damage would likely be limited to the gearbox. With the engine running, most have an overload clutch in the gearbox that can protect the crank. The procedure in the event of a sudden stoppage involves removing the gearbox, putting a protractor on the crank and checking that the crankshaft is not twisted (you put a "stopper" in the plug holes and look for deviations from 0 / 180 degrees in each cylinder).

So, are they planning to fly them back home now that Oshkosh is over?

(I assume not...)

The factory plane ZU-SHW, will return via the Atlantic again. This time headed to London first and then making its way back to SA. Linda’s Sling will prolly head back to the Southeast where she is based. JP’s base will be Reno, but he will be traveling the world at some point in the near future, in his High Wing.

Back