Getting home from Oshkosh - the long way round

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Stopped in Iowa for a pit stop on the way home this morning. Plane was running fine. Taxied out to the runway and did the run up - no prop control. Told the wife, eh, this’ll be an easy fix, prop control probably broke somehow.

No such luck. Control works just fine, but governor doesn’t do squat. Doesn’t even slow it it down a little.

Talked to the local mechanic and came up with a plan, grabbed a rental, and started the 18 hour drive home….

Internal failure in the prop governor.

That sucks! I hope they get it fixed quickly for you.. Is it just me? Seems a lot of mechanical issues with P32s on this board lately. I realize this is not a fair assumption, just seems that way lately.

Sorry. But good that it didn't break while in the air.

How many hours on the prop?

That sucks! I hope they get it fixed quickly for you.. Is it just me? Seems a lot of mechanical issues with P32s on this board lately. I realize this is not a fair assumption, just seems that way lately.
That was mostly just me :oops:

Keep us updated @Salty. Maybe we can do an airbridge to get you back up there to pick her up when she's fixed. I'd be happy to take you the last leg if some of our southeasterners can get you closer up here.

Sorry. But good that it didn't break while in the air.

How many hours on the prop?
The prop is less than 200 since overhaul if my memory is correct. The governor was recently overhauled for a similar issue. Was the last thing done by the previous owner. Less than 100 hours.

Keep us updated @Salty. Maybe we can do an airbridge to get you back up there to pick her up when she's fixed. I'd be happy to take you the last leg if some of our southeasterners can get you closer up here.
Thanks. I might just do that. Especially that last leg could be helpful since it’s kinda in the middle of nowhere, can’t get a commercial flight there easily.

Ehh, annual before last my dad's needed to have the accessory case sent to Divco after a thumbnail size chunk was found in the screen. Granted not an AOG situation.

Whatever shop Salty found needs some recognition for getting after it this fast.

Ehh, annual before last my dad's needed to have the accessory case sent to Divco after a thumbnail size chunk was found in the screen. Granted not an AOG situation.

Whatever shop Salty found needs some recognition for getting after it this fast.
Well, they haven’t actually done anything yet. It’s just a plan. Lol

Thanks. I might just do that. Especially that last leg could be helpful since it’s kinda in the middle of nowhere, can’t get a commercial flight there easily.

Yeah, alternative transportation sux in that part of the world...

road-3566256__340.jpg

There's usually pretty cheap flights into bmi and pia from your neighborhood.

But it's been diagnosed? So they looked at it. That's... something
Nobody but me has looked at it. But here’s not really anything to tell by looking at it while installed. I did remote troubleshooting with my mechanic on the phone to make sure it wasn’t anything simple.

Assuming my plane is airworthy and available, let me know how I can help from Central IL to/from Iowa.

That sucks, I'd be eyeballing a new prop, but that's me.

Any oil leaks or anything? If not, I'd just treat it as a fixed pitch prop and fly it home.

Any oil leaks or anything? If not, I'd just treat it as a fixed pitch prop and fly it home.
Tried that. Won’t regulate at all. It spun up to 3000 before I quickly yanked it back. Had to pull it so far back to keep the revs in check there was no power left.

Last edited:
No oil leaks and no loss of oil.

Where did you leave it if you don't mind us asking? Might be able to help you out, or know someone that can.

Sorry this happened. Happy to sign up as a midwesterner for the airlift. I’m in Chicago.

Stopping in Macon for the night. Wife can’t deal with driving and I pushed it so hard all week at air venture I can’t keep going.

Yes, they didn’t have a mechanic there, but jet air had one nearby that I talked to on the phone.

Yes, they didn’t have a mechanic there, but jet air had one nearby that I talked to on the phone.
Jet Air has FBOs at Galesburg and Iowa City. Burlington isn't too far to get one there. I know a mechanic in Galesburg too but I don't think he's with anyone right now.

Damn, sorry. I'd offer help but I'm nowhere near you

I'd sign up for the middle 1/3 of the shuttle if you can put together the other thirds...

Jet Air has FBOs at Galesburg and Iowa City. Burlington isn't too far to get one there. I know a mechanic in Galesburg too but I don't think he's with anyone right now.

Darn, I used to know a mechanic at Keokuk, just up the road from there. But he left for the dark side...FAA.

BRL has Cape Air service currently, which can be connected through American Airlines. Just an option.

You guys are awesome. I will reach out when she fixed and I’m ready to go back and bring her home.

@kyleb If you can get him to FGU or relatively close, I can fly the leg up toward @Jim K if the schedules align!

So, I'd need to do the first of the 3 legs. No big deal. Where's Salty's home base? I didn't see it in his profile.

Back