Recurrent Corneal Erosion

S

Some Pilot

I’ve been waking up maybe once a week with intense eye pain similar to when you scratch your eye. This is followed by about 10 minutes of watering. Eventually the pain goes away and I’m “back to normal”.

I visited an optometrist today and they told me I have recurrent corneal erosion. They indicated this can be a lifelong condition but can also resolve over 6 months or so if everything goes well. Has anyone experienced this? Any idea how much of an issue this is for first class medical?

Thank you.

Lubricants- read up on type and frequency.
EDTA chelaton. 50% success rate
PTK laser. 90% success rate

So only a proportion suffer long term symptoms and they most commonly have map dot fingerprint dystrophy.

And of that small proportion most if not all will eventually resolve due scarring.

No idea about the effect in a class 1

I got a nasty corneal scratch (below my sight line, fortunately) some years back, which caused symptoms just like the OP reported. Especially in dry climates, my eyelid would just slightly stick closed overnight, and while it would open without real effort in the morning, it caused a lot of pain and intense eye watering each time.
On advice of my eye doctor, I put just a speck of Systane Nightime Lubricant (eyeball grease, as I call it) on the lower eyelid before bed, and it works great. No morning pain. There are other brands, and lubricant drops, with which I have no experience. As noted above, best to consult with your eye doctor for the specifics.
Systane is the most expensive petroleum-jelly-cut-with-a-bit-of-mineral-oil that you will ever encounter, but a little tube does last a long time.

Thanks for the replies. I’m trying to learn how the FAA is going to view my condition. The decision considerations say the following requires an FAA decision:

“Congenital or acquired conditions (whether acute or chronic), of either eye or adnexa that may interfere with visual functions, may progress to that degree, or may be aggravated by flying…”

This certainly could be considered an “acquired condition that may interfere with visual function.”

Is the FAA going to give me a hard time on this?

The episodes do seem to be increasing and not decreasing. So far only at night though. I am working on an appointment with an ophthalmologist and have been following the advice of my optometrist using ointment at night and drops during the day and it seems to do absolutely nothing—or is even making it worse.

Sight first, flight later.

Go see a top rated ophthalmologist and get a solid opinion on eye health.

Dry eye issues. Not closing eyes all the way while sleeping often the culprit. You dry the epithelium of the cornea and when to open your eye in the am you tear the epithelium. Highly rec the dry eye goggles they have at eye office at night. Can help heal snd more importantly prevent!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back