First Oshkosh '22 Incident?

Steve Costello

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SteveCostello
Saw on the Vintage cam emergency services hauling toward the approach end of 36L... and on Ultralight cam, looks like something departed the runway after the purple dot. Hoping everyone is okay.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 5.19.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 5.19.29 PM.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 260
Sounds like there's FOD on the runway, as they're sending a power sweep down to the area of the incident. Rough way to start a show that hasn't even started yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 5.49.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 5.49.47 PM.png
    478.2 KB · Views: 90
Bally Bomber (scale B17) just got towed off the runway.

Aw crap indeed. Cool plane, hope it and the pilot are OK.

Heard it, didn't see it. I know that the odds are in favor of something happening with this many takeoffs and landings, but it stinks to have one of the best weeks of your aviation life ruined by something like this. I totally feel for the pilot.

Sunday was not a good day. Gusty crosswinds resulted in a couple prop strikes, somebody pranged a 310, and I think Sundays total was 4-6. Terrible way to start your airventure

The question is, how many mishaps are normal for Oshkosh? Both wrinkled planes and fatalities.

It's rare to get fatalities. I think in the 30 years I've been coming we've had only a few. The TBM chewed up a RV one year, a Moonie in the mass arrival looped into an Oshkosh truck, there were two collisions during the airshow/demonstration that resulted in fatalities.

Each year we get maybe ten incidents: ground loops, nose overs, gear that fails to come down/collapses on roll out, etc...

Almost all are ground (landing, etc..) issues. Other than the air race demo crash and one pattern midair, I can't remember a "nearby" in air crash/fatality.

There are always a few crashes far out where people "en route" to the show do something stupid.

Sunday was not a good day. Gusty crosswinds resulted in a couple prop strikes, somebody pranged a 310, and I think Sundays total was 4-6. Terrible way to start your airventure

We were alongside 27 on Sunday, watching arrivals. An RV taxied off the runway, THEN nosed over. Small tires, a little too much power, too little up elevator, I guess. Parts of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were challenging for arrivals with SW winds at 15 +/- for much of the day.

The scary thing for me is that in any of the approaches that require a low, tight 180 to final, there are always people who scare me with their nearness to a stall/spin accident. Overshooting and using bottom rudder to 'bring 'er around, getting slow and tightening a turn, I see that a lot on the 180's. In 2019, I saw a guy in a Thorpe stall and drop a wing twice making the 180 to 27. He landed safely, but damn.

One of the challenges this year was the winds from the SW. For both the 18 and the 27 arrivals, that meant a tight 180 in one direction, immediately changing into a bank into the other direction to do a sideslip and crosswind correction. I made a crummy landing on 18 'cause I didn't make that transition well.

Last edited:
There are always a few crashes far out where people "en route" to the show do something stupid.

Doesn't even have to be THAT stupid. There was an Arrow from KRAC a handful of years ago with a 33,000 hour atp/cfi and new ppl. They hit wake turbulence that led to a breakup. Ended up in Lake Michigan.

I think that there are more incidents/ accidents that we know at OSH each year. I do remember some really bad accidents over the years.

Those low tight base to final turns scare me just watching them, I did watch a lance air stall and spin in low on a tight turn one year long ago,no one survived that one.

Cessna 180 - very minor ground loop (no, not me) plane & pilot all good.
L19 ground loop into a ditch- Totalled - pilot okay
Cessna 310 - Gear collapse
RV - Nosed over in the grass
Bally Bomber - nosed over
RV taxied into another RV.
Lots of control surface damage among homebuilts during the storm (due to direction of parking & prevailing winds)

No fatalities or serious injuries that I know of, but a fair amount of bent metal this year.

Here's video for a couple of heartbreakers ...

Did the 180 blow a tire?

I don’t think so. I saw the loop and after watched it taxi under its own power south towards vintage/S40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a mustang go for a ride off the runway.....blowing dirt and debris. No metal was bent.

I think that there are more incidents/ accidents that we know at OSH each year. I do remember some really bad accidents over the years.

Those low tight base to final turns scare me just watching them, I did watch a lance air stall and spin in low on a tight turn one year long ago,no one survived that one.

I was holding short of 27 watching for departure when that happened almost right in front of us. 2008 if I remember right. Was a somber ride home.

Saw a Big Cessna Twin go off the side of 36 Sunday afternoon. Came down hard, lost a wheel and off into the ditch he went. Looked expensive. Shut down the runway for a long time.

The one in Steingar's second photo had the right gear leg collapse. From photos taken from one of the other EAA photographers, it wasn't locked when he was on final, but the pilot didn't know that. Not sure if he had three greens or not. He said he felt it collapsing and pulled the mixture, but it was too late. I was on the backside of the airport and saw it up close, tore up the tip tank and bent the prop up.

For that tail wheel that dragged a wingtip, can they fly after that or do they need an A&P to inspect it?

I always thought a ground loop was 180 degree (or more) change of direction.

Ones I remember

A person flying to or from Oshkosh, scud running in a 172, hit a wind turbine. Late 90s early 2000s

Glasair on final did S turns because plane ahead slowed down too much, in violation of the NOTAM. Stalled, spun, crashed. 1999. Pilot was a friend. I was in the T-34 standing on the wing when the smoke started. I found out later I knew the person.

Year 2000 the mishap during the warbirds takeoff between a couple of Corsairs and a Bearcat or two.

For that tail wheel that dragged a wingtip, can they fly after that or do they need an A&P to inspect it?

If all that happened was drag the wingtip, it may still be airworthy/flyable, but I’d sure want an A&P to look at it first to make a determination.

If all it did was touch the wingtip and the pilot got it back under control, I wouldn’t call that a ground loop.

By definition, a ground loop is the rotation of a fixed-wing aircraft in the horizontal plane while on the ground. You can strike a wingtip without rotation.

Ground loop wingtip strikes typically occur later in the rotation.

Last edited:

At a bare minimum you should have the gear and spar attachment points inspected thoroughly. Not uncommon for there to be some twisting or cracks, which can get ugly later.

Back