GA trends in the Caribbean Survey - help appreciated!

Student_GA

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Student_GA
GA trends in the Caribbean Survey - help appreciated!
renderTimingPixel.png

Hello Pilots of America.

I'm an MBA student from the Caribbean (not a pilot unfortunately!) and I'm doing a research project on General Aviation trends. The project is focused mostly on the motivations for North American GA Pilots to fly to the Caribbean (and Jamaica in particular) to try to identify the cause of the decline in GA in Jamaica over the last decade and what strategies can be proposed to revive the industry in Jamaica. (The findings could also apply to other island countries too!)

As one aspect of the research I have created a survey to help answer this question.

I would greatly appreciate if you participate. If you are not based in North America - No problem! Your input is still valuable.

Its a Qualtrics survey and here is the link:

https://qfreeaccountssjc1.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0rIPbW6SkO86cg6

Happy Flying

Just a heads up that most people, myself included, will be reluctant to click on a link from a new user.

I recommend you use the survey feature in POA instead if you want feedback.

Last edited:
Yup, not clicking on the link but the reason I'm not flying to Jamaica or any other Caribbean island is because I don't have two engines and there is too much water in between. Once I have a second engine on a future aircraft of mine, I am looking forward to go island hopping, including Jamaica where I actually happen to know a few people :)

Just a heads up that most people, myself included,, will be reluctant to click on a link from a new user.

I recommend you use the survey feature in POA instead if you want feedback.

Hello Tom Wells. You're a real pilot for sure! :) Playing it safe! Nothing wrong with that of course.

The survey is a bit complicated so I had to do it on the Qualtrics platform since it has some smart functions built in. I posted it on PPRune and Reddit r/flying already you can see their feedback there. I assure you it's as clean as a whistle but I understand your hesitance.

A trusted user here (or a moderator) could copy the link text into a virus/scam testing website to verify that it's clean and report back here.

I will check out the POA survey feature as you said, but my survey is 25 questions with some smart functions built in that will be another piece of work to translate and break out and I'm very worn down at this stage of the semester. Took me a week to put it together, but let me know if you would reconsider if a trusted user tested the link.

Regards

Yup, not clicking on the link but the reason I'm not flying to Jamaica or any other Caribbean island is because I don't have two engines and there is too much water in between. Once I have a second engine on a future aircraft of mine, I am looking forward to go island hopping, including Jamaica where I actually happen to know a few people :)

Thanks for your feedback. See I'm no pilot, (mechanical engineer actually) and I'm actually now learning that the twin engine is a big factor in flying over the sea. Didn't know that but it's a similar theme in the feedback I got from Reddit pilots. If I understand it flying twin engine requires a higher license, and is a different level of expense? Good stuff.

I won't click on the link either, but I will tell you that one of the main reasons why people may try to avoid flying to places like Jamaica or the Cayman Islands is the tax to fly over Cuba. Nothing that can be fixed from Jamaica, I am afraid.

I like talking with the Bahamas table at Oshkosh, thinking about a trip. No, 50 miles of relatively warmer water is no biggie. Back in the day I went fishing in Canada a handful of times, did AK too. Border crossing hassles are the main reason I’m hesitant now, though went to Canada a few years ago.

Yes, I know once familiar, not a excessive deal.

How much is the overflight tax?

So if I overfly in a lighter than air, there's no charge? Nice!

So if I overfly in a lighter than air, there's no charge? Nice!
Aircraft MGTOW: Maximum Gross TakeOff Weight. Good luck convincing the Cuban Government that a balloon MGTOW is < 0. Also, they only accept IFR flight plans... :rolleyes:

I won't click on the link either, but I will tell you that one of the main reasons why people may try to avoid flying to places like Jamaica or the Cayman Islands is the tax to fly over Cuba. Nothing that can be fixed from Jamaica, I am afraid.

I believe the Cuban overflight requirements will be lifted soon:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022...ght-routes-to-cuba-in-latest-restriction-lift

The thing is we had a thriving industry up to the mid-late 2000's, Cuban overflight and all, and then things started declining after that.

Cayman actually has lot of registered aircraft because it's a tax haven. Our registered aircraft have declined to single digits! Pilots and operators are registering their planes elsewhere, because of our inflexible GA regulations.

Hmm. Interesting, are you saying that the CARICOM eAPIS system is lacking?

PS
Aww man I would love you guys to be on my survey!

Looking to see if I could an experienced user or a moderator to vouch that the link is fine. Tom and Chris! I'm doing this for you! lol

I believe the Cuban overflight requirements will be lifted soon:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022...ght-routes-to-cuba-in-latest-restriction-lift

The thing is we had a thriving industry up to the mid-late 2000's, Cuban overflight and all, and then things started declining after that.

Cayman actually has lot of registered aircraft because it's a tax haven. Our registered aircraft have declined to single digits! Pilots and operators are registering their planes elsewhere, because of our inflexible GA regulations.

There was a time when light aircrafts where exempted from the overflight fee, but that was terminated in 2020, and honestly I don't see any sign that the Cuban Government is changing stance:
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2020/july/07/cuba-ends-free-overflight-permits-for-ga
The Cayman Islands may have a fair number of registered jets, but none of them ever visits the island. In fact, GA in Grand Cayman is quite depressing and a quick visit at the airport would confirm that. I would say that if you want to grow GA in Jamaica the Cayman Islands are the last model you want to pick.

Hmm. Interesting, are you saying that the CARICOM eAPIS system is lacking?

PS
Aww man I would love you guys to be on my survey!

Looking to see if I could an experienced user or a moderator to vouch that the link is fine. Tom and Chris! I'm doing this for you! lol
I shouldn't have to ask permission to leave my country, permission to reenter, and threats of huge fines because of a typo on the paperwork.

The Bahamas offer many islands, beautiful beaches, great fishing and scuba diving, plus it’s an easy flight, there’s no need to overfly Cuba, and they allow Basic Med.

Why would I want to fly to Jamaica instead?

I just googled "can i fly my private plane to jamaica". There was no useful information in the first two pages of websites. Maybe a website site listing the requirements and fees to fly to Jamaica may help attract more traffic.

I just googled "can i fly my private plane to jamaica". There was no useful information in the first two pages of websites. Maybe a website site listing the requirements and fees to fly to Jamaica may help attract more traffic.

And then try "can i fly my private plane to jamaica using basic med." The first hit is this:

upload_2022-8-1_17-42-54.png

The second hit is this:

upload_2022-8-1_17-43-56.png

Guess where those of us flying with Basic Med will choose to go....

I’m not a moderator but I tested the link with a security check and it was clear. I did the survey. It’s not too invasive. Jamaica, to me, doesn’t hold the prestige of the airports/adventures throughout the islands of the Bahamas.

The project is focused mostly on the motivations for North American GA Pilots to fly to the Caribbean (and Jamaica in particular) to try to identify the cause of the decline in GA in Jamaica over the last decade and what strategies can be proposed to revive the industry in Jamaica.

I completed the survey. It does a very poor job of addressing this stated purpose. There's nothing that gets to the question of why I would choose not to fly to Jamaica. Nothing about Cuban overflight, nothing about Jamaica not accepting Basic Med, and nothing about why a pilot might choose a different destination.

I don't see that Jamaica offers anything I can't find elsewhere for less hassle.

I completed the survey. It does a very poor job of addressing this stated purpose. There's nothing that gets to the question of why I would choose not to fly to Jamaica. Nothing about Cuban overflight, nothing about Jamaica not accepting Basic Med, and nothing about why a pilot might choose a different destination.

I don't see that Jamaica offers anything I can't find elsewhere for less hassle.

Thanks for doing the survey, Half Fast. Appreciate it.

It's in there!
I set it so that the section detailing what deters you from flying to Jamaica (the Cuban overflight and about a dozen other issues) is only visible depending on your first set of answers.

That section in question will show for those respondents who selected that they have flown to Jamaica, or are aware (of the ins and outs), or are/were interested to fly there. So that section is biased towards those groups to see why the "product/experience" was rejected/not used more after serious interest was shown. If I remember correctly there is something like this for the Caribbean too.

Noted the basic Med issue you brought up. I certainly didn't have that in there. Thanks.

Pilot's of America. Really grateful for the feedback.

Back