Person jumps from aircraft landing at RDU

The flightaware data looks like it was possibly a jump plane with lots of circling around Raeford West Airport, then a flight to RDU at 3500 feet. With all the windows on each side of the cabin, I would have guessed you could see the missing wheel/gear leg without going outside. I don't think you would jump from that altitude without a chute either...but I was not there...my 2 cents.

You think maybe the copilot was…high?

well, he missed. The area they reported finding the body is halfway between two large lakes. He didn’t hit either.

it keeps getting weirder.

I’ll bet they find a GoPro or three on the body.

I can envision a scenario where the copilot has some personal issues or ‘history’ and after botching the landing that damaged the plane, figures he’s fired and decides to end it. Seems more plausible than publicity stunt.
I’m hearing it was a suicide after the hard landing incident. Unconfirmed but as you say… plausible.

I’m hearing it was a suicide after the hard landing incident. Unconfirmed but as you say… plausible.
Maybe. Young guy hoping for a career in aviation thinks it just went bye bye. Unfortunate because while serious, I don't think this is a career killer.

Apparently the DTSB has concluded it’s investigation and Gryder has spoken.

Apparently the DTSB has concluded it’s investigation and Gryder has spoken.
I'm getting real tired of DG pointing to his cap. That said, the accident theory [sent back by the captain to assess damage and falls out] gets my vote. He explains the accident scenario from his apparent familiarity with the aircraft and its characteristics.

Not sure “sad” is the right thing. Maybe what was this guy thinking would happen?

I'm getting real tired of DG pointing to his cap. That said, the accident theory [sent back by the captain to assess damage and falls out] gets my vote. He explains the accident scenario from his apparent familiarity with the aircraft and its characteristics.

Except I’m pretty certain DG is operating on pure speculation here, if for no other reason than dead men tale no tales so we already have only one version of what went on here.

Second, I’m real curious why somebody would be around an open ramp with no harness on, but if you just were party to breaking a plane, I guess your mental state is going to be a little off.

Maybe. Young guy hoping for a career in aviation thinks it just went bye bye. Unfortunate because while serious, I don't think this is a career killer.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that he intentionally jumped because of this.

Possibly distraught after the hard landing, perhaps he was at the controls and thought his career is over. Flying mil jumpers, probably special ops at that age (23?) Is pretty damn cool. Maybe he had a connection within the company/contractor community who got him the job and he bends the airplane, causing a rush of guilt and embarrassment. In my line of work I've seen a new young pilot in his dream job rip the gears straight out of a Gulfstream by landing too short after the captain let him land it himself. He was devastated and stopped flying.

Whole lot of speculation. For all we know the PIC gave him a shove. We only get one side of the story.

If we're speculating, I'm going to go with "went to the back to investigate, and slipped or lost his grip and went out". Thinking that he was more focused on the aircraft than his own safety. That it would make sense to want to see what was going on with the gear to be able to prepare for a landing with the gear damaged.

Whole lot of speculation. For all we know the PIC gave him a shove. We only get one side of the story.

Reminds me of the flight scene in the Broken Arrow movie.

I wonder if they’ll go through text messages, emails, etc looking for a motive, NTSB doesn’t often investigate crimes.

Any landing you can jump away from...

I take it the pilot isn't talking? I haven't heard a thing from the one person most likely to know what happened.

..and this makes the whole situation even more mysterious. The whole thing is pretty hard to believe, then add in a mute witness and it looks pretty bad.

The pilot isn’t blabbing about it on the internet or to the press. I’m sure he’s talking to the appropriate people.
Imagine being that guy. Your buddy falls out of the plane, then you still have to land it with one wheel missing. Talk about having a bad day.

wonder if they waived the landing fee....

Spore shares the mailbox with Rampart. Lots of flights around Ft Bragg. Looks like its still part of the contractor world.

I know the owner of Rampart from serving in the same Army unit, and have had some dealings with his company. These aircraft are mostly used for parachute ops at Bragg. Cheaper and more available than a C130. Also highly suitable for dirt strips, so you can cycle a whole bunch of jumpers through with minimum drop time. Bragg does a lot of HALO currency and refresher jumps at Raeford DZ.

If we're speculating, I'm going to go with "went to the back to investigate, and slipped or lost his grip and went out". Thinking that he was more focused on the aircraft than his own safety. That it would make sense to want to see what was going on with the gear to be able to prepare for a landing with the gear damaged.
Certainly the most likely. I'd personally like to see what safety equipment was available, if any, such as a harness.

It was a skydiving plane, they fly with the door open regularly.

CASA 212 jumps are almost always out the ramp. The ramp would be lowered for the jump and raised afterwards. There are some photos on the internet of foreign troops doing door jumps from a CASA, but I cannot fathom why.

Most likely he was trying to get a look at the gear by laying on the floor and sticking his head around the corner of the ramp opening.

Here is a good look at the door setup. I don't recall having the left door open on ramp jumps, though it appears that is a thing now. The right door is an emergency exit and not suitable for jumps. All doors are closed in the post-accident photos at RDU, which leads me to surmise it was the ramp.

doors.PNG

Last edited:
Wow. If suicide is the next step after a career setback, then the attrition rate would be much higher.

Poking around the back of a Shorts in flight without proper restraint is suicide...

Back