Seattle Washington airplane rental recommendations?

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
I'll be travelling to the Seattle WA area for work next week. I'd like to rent a plane and go up with a CFI to do some flying. I'm a current private pilot working on my instrument rating. Any suggestions?

Depends on where exactly you're gonna be. If you're gonna be north of downtown, you might look at Paine field (KPAE), there's are a couple of FBOs that'll be happy to check you out in one of their aircraft. I'd suggest you bring your passport and plenty of money. If you're in downtown proper, look at Boeing Field (KBFI) or Renton (KRNT) same story for both of those locations. Further south, you have Pierce County (KPLU), or Tacoma Narrows (KTIW), same deal. As far as I know, they're all similar in price and availability, though if you ask them, they'll each tell you why they're the best.

By the way, if you're actually gonna be well north of Seattle, at KBVS, about 70 miles north of Seattle's Ship-Canal-Bridge, there's an outstanding little FBO called Cascade aviation. My friend Ken Davies runs a nice little organization, with friendly staff and instructors. His fleet isn't shiny and new. But, they fly well and are well maintained.

Wilkersk, thank you for the feedback. I am going to be staying in Kent. I really just want to go up with a CFI, and burn some holes in the sky. I don't even really need to do a checkout, as I am not going to be up in the area all that frequently. If I do come back for a longer trip, I'll check out your friend's place at KBVS. Thank you for the input!

For a great sport aviation field that will be a good test of your skills, try S43, Harvey Field in Snohomish. They can also take into into Paine, where the Boeing 747-77-87 were made.

Near Kent: (Check AirNav.com)

Crest Airpark (S36) -- I think the name changed in the last few years.
Renton (KRNT)
Boeing Field (KBFI)

Wilkersk, thank you for the feedback. I am going to be staying in Kent. I really just want to go up with a CFI, and burn some holes in the sky. I don't even really need to do a checkout, as I am not going to be up in the area all that frequently. If I do come back for a longer trip, I'll check out your friend's place at KBVS. Thank you for the input!

Yep, Either Renton Or Auburn would be easiest for you then. Check out these guys. I always hear good things about them:

https://www.rainierflightservice.com/

https://spanaflight.com/

I grew up in Kent and I'm shocked at how much the place has changed. No longer the quiet little town where you could hunt within walking distance of my home on the east hill...
I have nothing to add except that I know people at both Spanaflight and Rainier Flight Service and you can't go wrong with either. Get on the schedule now because they keep those planes moving.

Just to fill everyone in, I rented a 172 from Rainier Flight Service in Renton. I flew with a CFI on a nice scenic flight around the sound, then came back to Renton. About 1.3 hours for $299. Rather pricey, but it was incredibly beautiful. It's so much more green than the desert here in AZ.

That makes the $200/hr dual I paid for a 172 in Hawaii look "cheap". Of course, that was in 2007. Makes the club I belong to at KOLM look downright cheap today.

Glad you made it up here, had a good flight, and good weather.
You would have paid a lot more for a helicopter tour.

The reason it's green is November through June.

Last edited:
Back