This is why I like doing young eagles flights

Cool!

I don't know how you handle your throttles that way. Although @Jim K doesn't know how I do mine the way I do either. :dunno:

To be honest I never even noticed I do it that way before.

One instructor that I flew with a lot of hours was always nagging me about bracing my hand on something to work the throttle "because in turbulence you can't do it that way". So I developed the habit. So in a Piper with the throttle quadrant (like Salty's) I do it that way also.

This is how I work throttle quadrants except the Cirrus, which is where I pick up bad habits. The throttle is further aft in the Cirrus so it’s just hand on top for me. I also like yoking down the friction lock.

edit: also - really cool that you share your time like this!

That pic catches the spirit of it all!

It’s my favorite day of the year! Our sleepy lil airport becomes a bustling hub of activity. The kids amazement is so awesome. I think we flew 160 kids or so this year.

I took one after the event ended as he was too young and his mom didn’t realize it. He was heartbroken, so once I was no longer flying young eagles i loaded him n his mom up and he’s was just one of those magical kids! He told me if we didn’t have a name for the plane it should be Sparkles :)

Is there an minimum hour requirement to fly? I tried a search but couldn’t find anything. My kids fall asleep every time I take them somewhere. Might be fun to see the awe and wonder side of it.

Is there an minimum hour requirement to fly? I tried a search but couldn’t find anything. My kids fall asleep every time I take them somewhere. Might be fun to see the awe and wonder side of it.

You have to be an EAA member & pass their Youth Protection background check. Otherwise no minimum pilot requirements other than at least a Private Pilot & be current. If you're proficient too that's a real plus. It's really a lot of fun & helps introduce youth to aviation.

I don’t think so. You need to be an EAA member, get background checked and take a short training regarding child protection, and I think have insurance to a certain amount. I also fly YEs … it’s a wonderful experience hearing the ooohs and ahhhhs.

I’ll have to take an in-flight picture one of these days but here is a post-flight pic:

upload_2022-7-30_22-27-50.jpeg

While not a YE flight, these are two exchange students we hosted on their first GA flight last year:

upload_2022-7-30_22-29-39.jpeg

My eldest daughter isn’t a fan. She did one lap around the pattern and asked to land. My younger daughter flew once or twice with me but then shipped off to the Navy. I’m going to try to convince her to use the GI Bill to become a pilot (if she’s interested).

That poor girl on your left must have gotten attacked by a badger at some point. Shorts all ripped up and all.

Thanks for flying YEs. Just a quick reminder as a YE coordinator/chapter leader. Thanks to lawyers the photo release is no longer part of the standard waiver that is signed and is now it's own separate waiver so be careful with taking pictures with the youth on your own.

Thanks for flying YEs. Just a quick reminder as a YE coordinator/chapter leader. Thanks to lawyers the photo release is no longer part of the standard waiver that is signed and is now it's own separate waiver so be careful with taking pictures with the youth on your own.
Hmmm…did not know that. As the coordinator for our chapter, I need to let our photographer know. We take photos of each kid with the pilot and airplane for our website, but never put names on the photos.

Thanks for doing this!!

And that's how I use the throttle in the Arrowe, as well. Hand/fingers on the TQ and then sort of manipulate the throttle with the C made by my thumb and index finger... I don't think I have ever used that T-shaped throttle like it was thrust levers on a 737.... too hard to make fine adjustments, for me anyway.

Side note - the t-shaped throttle control looks much cooler than the push/pull knobby thingies.

The pic was taken by her mother. Lol

Thinking seriously about signing up for this - have a local YE event coming up in a few weeks. Thought I'd use the club 150 - then it's only dealing with 1 kid at a time ;)

One at a time is the best way. I won't be doing many (if any) YE with the Lance. I'm not comfortable with kids way back there without supervision, and it's just too much $$ to fly with 1 kid. Only reason I agreed to this one was because the mother came along to supervise in the back.

Thinking seriously about signing up for this - have a local YE event coming up in a few weeks. Thought I'd use the club 150 - then it's only dealing with 1 kid at a time ;)

Fly what you like and only bring as many extra headsets as you wish to fly with you. Personally, and I don’t know why this is, I prefer a max of two.

Local guy flies them in a cub. Pretty cool experience for the kids flying with the door open. Pretty cheap for him on a per- hour basis, although on a per-kid basis 3 in a 172 is probably the most efficient. There's also a zenith 650 I often see.

Local guy flies them in a cub. Pretty cool experience for the kids flying with the door open. Pretty cheap for him on a per- hour basis, although on a per-kid basis 3 in a 172 is probably the most efficient. There's also a zenith 650 I often see.
I think I saw in our chapter newsletter that one dude in the Champaign chapter has been flying them in his Cirrus jet!

That's awesome! Nothing like giving back and inspiring youth with flight, especially if it's their very first flight ever.

@Salty , after flying @Jim K 's Lance, I now know why you do the throttle that way. My Lance is a completely different feel. It was weird.

Back