Back in the Left Seat Post Amputation

3Y3Flyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
3Y3Flyer
I posted awhile back about my battle with cancer in my knee and right leg amputation...at that time I was just looking for the path to get me back in the air. Update....I am 9 months post op and have been in an AK prosthetic since 15 Jan 22. We tried flying with one leg 32 days post op, by just jumping back and forth between the rudder pedals....doable, not ideal. Then I built a hand control for the right rudder...great on the ground, TO, and flight. Sucked on landing, way too much going on in that phase of flight to make the right hand work a rudder as well. Finally, this week, I made a leather strap and plate that attaches to the left rudder of my PA28-180, that allows a push/pull method of operating the rudder.

It is very intuitive, simple, and I completed 7 TO's unassisted, 5 Landings unassisted, slow flight, stalls, steep turns, holds, taxi, and go arounds. This will work! More time, more practice, more brain reprogramming....but I will be back solo in the soup on the long XC before long! Thanks be to God! Follow the story on Instagram @theamputatedamerican for pictures and updates.

Cool! What do you do to actuate the toe brakes?

Thanks for posting…always like a happy ending…congrats

Congratulations! You cannot win without a fight, and if the first try fails try again. Your persistence and ingenuity are the bridge to success. Very happy for you.

I have a couple of relatives with missing appendages, and a similar attitude. Never try to tell them that they cannot do something that they really want to do.

My sons best friend was born missing his left hand. They've been friends for 12 years and I always forget he's unusually abeled. Taught him to water-skiing last summer. No problem (but it took me a second to understand why his mom was crying with joy). He's just that good at doing whatever he wants to do.
Edit; I told his mom "Honestly, I just never even think about his hand". She smiled even more.

Last edited:
I posted awhile back about my battle with cancer in my knee and right leg amputation...at that time I was just looking for the path to get me back in the air. Update....I am 9 months post op and have been in an AK prosthetic since 15 Jan 22. We tried flying with one leg 32 days post op, by just jumping back and forth between the rudder pedals....doable, not ideal. Then I built a hand control for the right rudder...great on the ground, TO, and flight. Sucked on landing, way too much going on in that phase of flight to make the right hand work a rudder as well. Finally, this week, I made a leather strap and plate that attaches to the left rudder of my PA28-180, that allows a push/pull method of operating the rudder.

It is very intuitive, simple, and I completed 7 TO's unassisted, 5 Landings unassisted, slow flight, stalls, steep turns, holds, taxi, and go arounds. This will work! More time, more practice, more brain reprogramming....but I will be back solo in the soup on the long XC before long! Thanks be to God! Follow the story on Instagram @theamputatedamerican for pictures and updates.
That’s a great story. Any chance you could post a pic of the gadget here for those of us who don’t have instagram? It would be interesting to see.

upload_2022-7-28_18-47-15.png
That’s a great story. Any chance you could post a pic of the gadget here for those of us who don’t have instagram? It would be interesting to see.

That might worry me a bit for an emergency egress. Can you slip your foot out easily?

Fabricating some sort of cup that you could slip your foot in and out of might be a bit safer.
I can slip in and out with minimal effort.

Ah, but the important question is, would you have done this if the radio didn't work? :)

Just kidding of course, really impressive story. Very happy you are flying again!

Back