Mountain Mission Plane Choice

FlyinRhino

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyinRhino
I'm working on narrowing my plane choice down for my intended mission. Colorado (GUC) to California (SMF) 700nm 2 souls + light luggage. Trying to stay under $400k needs:
  • modern avionics
  • Turbo
  • FIKI
  • Reasonable fuel burn (likely single engine)
  • Min Cruise Speed 185knts

On the short list: Mooney Acclaim, Cirrus SR22T, Piper Malibu, Bonanza (Tornado Alley Turbo).

Would love to hear your thoughts on a good, fast, economical mountain flying option to consider!

Last edited:
P210? Or do you not mind breathing through a tube?

The Cirrus, BO and Mooney aren't pressurized are they? I thought turbo centurions could hit the cruise speed or ever so close to it?

Also TTx.

If by 2 pax you mean: pilot + 1 passenger or two people total..I would think the Mooney would be at the top of the list.

Seems twin territory (baron, etc) except for fuel burn.

Why not a twin?
Flying regularly over the Rockies I think I'd want a twin.

P210? Or do you not mind breathing through a tube?

P210 only has a structural cruise speed of 167knts. I think for my price point I'll be breathing out of a tube.

Why not a twin?
Flying regularly over the Rockies I think I'd want a twin.

In my research the main benefits of the twin (beyond the safety) is an increase in available load (which I don't need) which comes at a cost of excessive fuel burn compared to a single engine turbo.

The Cirrus, BO and Mooney aren't pressurized are they? I thought turbo centurions could hit the cruise speed or ever so close to it?

Also TTx.

If by 2 pax you mean: pilot + 1 passenger or two people total..I would think the Mooney would be at the top of the list.

Seems twin territory (baron, etc) except for fuel burn.
Yes, two people total. TTX is a great call out. Looks like the cruise speed for the centurion is only 157knts. Thanks!

I'm working on narrowing my plane choice down for my intended mission. Colorado (GUC) to California (SMF) 700nm 2 souls + light luggage. Trying to stay under $400k needs:
  • modern avionics
  • Turbo
  • FIKI
  • Reasonable fuel burn (likely single engine)
  • Min Cruise Speed 185knts

On the short list: Mooney Acclaim, Cirrus SR22T, Piper Malibu, Bonanza (Tornado Alley Turbo).

Would love to hear your thoughts on a good, fast, economical mountain flying option to consider!

Nothing on your list is economical, but the least economical from an acquisition and operational cost will be the Malibu.

Insurance in the pa46 is an eye opener. Ditto for annual maintenance.

Difference between 167 and 185 knots on a 700 nm trip is 24 minutes. Just saying.

In my research the main benefits of the twin (beyond the safety) is an increase in available load (which I don't need) which comes at a cost of excessive fuel burn compared to a single engine turbo.
You're right but I meant for safety reasons. Fiki ifr over the Rockies is not something I'd want to do from a safety perspective routinely. Personally I'd sacrifice a little speed and fuel burn for a more than 5% chance of survival in an emergency.
With a 400k budget you could grab a nice Baron and still have some coin for the additional fuel and maint.

Yes, two people total. TTX is a great call out. Looks like the cruise speed for the centurion is only 157knts. Thanks!
From my understanding, once you get into the later, retract strutless models you should be seeing cruise speeds around 180kts from 10K up into the teens and nearly 200 kts (196kts) at 20,000.

There was a guy a while back who busted a Bravo (Denver or Vegas). He was flying a 210 and I was drooling over his ads-b tracks where he was hitting 170kts pretty easily. Were trying to avoid retracts as we get older but that one is pretty sweet if you can tolerate a high wing but no strut :)

Turbo Toga?

Malibu is spot-on but not for under $400
Asking because no clue...do all Saratoga and Lance's have FIKI?

I would think the high cruise speed, low fuel burn 4 seat only Mooney is hard to beat for just 2 seats filled.

Can a SR22T really be found under $400k with a nice panel.

Lancair 4P or Baron 58P
Lancair 4P is a sweet plane. Was worried a bit about its aggressive wing, seems like a slippery beast to tame. Have you had any experiences flying that airframe?

I am not current on price. But DA-42 had the same operating cost and roughly similar acquisition cost as an SR22 when I was looking three years ago.

Tim

I am not current on price. But DA-42 had the same operating cost and roughly similar acquisition cost as an SR22 when I was looking three years ago.

Tim
Da-42 cruise is 176kts vs SR22T 213kts. It's a sweet looking plane for sure. Love the technology they put into the powerplant.

Insurance in the pa46 is an eye opener. Ditto for annual maintenance.

Difference between 167 and 185 knots on a 700 nm trip is 24 minutes. Just saying.
Guy at our field just got an nice matrix after finishing his ppl. Wanted to get a meridian but insurance refused to insure. The matrix I think was north of 10k for insurance
OP mission makes no mention of needing 6 seats.

Da-42 cruise is 176kts vs SR22T 213kts. It's a sweet looking plane for sure. Love the technology they put into the powerplant.

Depends on the version; the -VI is a good 190KTAS. In addition, who flies the SR22T at that altitude to get that performance? Be realistic; flight at 18K is rare enough.

Tim

Back