Mitigating disruption to a rally/demonstration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
This is a purely technical/practical question.

I was at an event today where a number of people were giving speeches to a passionate crowd. As is common at this particular kind of event, a handful of people from a particular cult had shown up with a battery powered PA system and were doing their best to disrupt the event, chant hatred, etc.

I'm interested in the collected ideas of the group about mitigating this. There are 2 main success factors:
1) Maximum disruption to the cult.
2) Minimum collateral disruption to the original event.

I'm interested in keeping ideas legal, or at least plausibly deniable in terms of legality.

So far, a few ideas:

1) 30' x 7' white tarp with a few poles along the length, which can be held up by a couple of volunteers as a visual barrier in front of the cult. When they move, it moves. https://a1tarps.com/07-x-30-white-medium-duty-tarp-actual-size-0606x2906/
2) Powerful megaphone (have found a well-priced 50W model), to directionally play white noise, "Baby Shark", etc as close to the cult speaker as possible. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Megapho...004HJ754O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
2b) Add a parabolic microphone to the setup, so the megaphone is playing their own words back at them with a slight delay.

Other ideas:
- Small home-made EMP devices seem impractical, looking like needing to be within a few inches of the target electronics to have an effect.
- Speakers can apparently be disrupted using a 10m wavelength transmitter setup (https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/k62sc/comment/c2hyp6r/). However, my knowledge of HAM radio is almost nothing, and it looks like it could be relatively expensive as well as maybe not terribly portable.

The idea of dressing up in 70s gear with a huge boombox and blasting disco at them is appealing but probably fails against success factor 2.

So, if you were looking to be as much of a dick as possible to the cult, what would you be doing? :D

Water hose? Air horn? Can of Silly String? Is there anything legal in the UK?

Passionate crowd? in England? I've been following the Insulate Britain crowd. Or is this the won't pay utilities protest? Or the protest about the anti-protest law?

Last edited:
Anything physical is out, as satisfying as it would be. Police monitoring the event. Assume US laws, for the purpose of the exercise!

2b) Add a parabolic microphone to the setup, so the megaphone is playing their own words back at them with a slight delay

they probably like that because it would make them sound like this

Anything physical is out, as satisfying as it would be. Police monitoring the event. Assume US laws, for the purpose of the exercise!
Air horn, like the air horn the best. The insulate britain crowd do seem particularly annoying. Britian doesn't have insulation?

2b) Add a parabolic microphone to the setup, so the megaphone is playing their own words back at them with a slight delay.

I think this idea is brilliant, and I like it a lot. If you've ever had an echo of your own voice on a cellphone call, or done some audio work where something isn't quite working right and it does the same thing, you know it's extremely disorienting. Due to the slight delay between when you say something and when you hear it (in this case through the megaphone), it's hard to concentrate and to get the words out. You can probably train yourself to get used to it, and basically "turn off" your ears, but in your situation here, I think it would be a very effective "surprise attack", and quite disruptive to the speaker!

We used Patriot Guard to keep a certain group away from service members funerals and their families…but they are a different kind of special group but if the cause is true and right they will make sure order and respect are maintained…no strong arm or violence just able to maintain distance…if this is England or anywhere in the UK I have a few lads from Sunderland that are happy to maintain the peace…probably need to pop for a pint or two afterwards but happy to help. HaWay Lads…

Assume US laws, for the purpose of the exercise!

Okay.

Surround the cult with people wearing camouflage and body armor and holding AR15s. Maximize your use of intimidation. This can be enhanced by conspicuously taking photos of the cult members and their vehicles. Make them feel unsafe without making any actual threats.

Okay.

Surround the cult with people wearing camouflage and body armor and holding AR15s. Maximize your use of intimidation. This can be enhanced by conspicuously taking photos of the cult members and their vehicles. Make them feel unsafe without making any actual threats.
Works for me.

I’d be looking inward and wondering why I want to be a dick. Publicly announcing it’s important to you to become the worst of the worst possible type of is disgusting.

Uhhh, right.

Anyway...

Okay.

What if this is the cult?

In the US, there are some laws that can be invoked by the LEOs…if the original group has a permit, then the cult is disturbing the peace, assembling & protesting without a permit, so it’s time to request the cops to deal with it by dispersing the cult members.

Right. Sure. Of course they will.

If the cult is on private property, the LEOs can disperse them due to tresspassing laws.

See above.

Unfortunately, there really isn’t much you can do.

Uhhh, right.

Anyway...

Nobody’s ever become a better person by trying to out a-hole other a-holes.

You used to share your journeys here and talk about all the great people you encountered. You rely on the grace of strangers in those endeavors. That’s the polar opposite of somebody who endeavors to be a dick to people.

Or, you just suck as a human.

Nobody’s ever become a better person by trying to out a-hole other a-holes.

You used to share your journeys here and talk about all the great people you encountered. You rely on the grace of strangers in those endeavors. That’s the polar opposite of somebody who endeavors to be a dick to people.

Or, you just suck as a human.
THIS! OMG THIS! So many people no longer understand this...I can't tell you how often people say to me, "Why are you being nice, when they are being an ****ole?" Well, I'll tell you why: I don't let others (especially a-holes) dictate my behavior! That's why!
To the OP: Your plan for these people is to "out-dick" them? Do you think that will win some hearts and minds? If that's the case then it sounds like the purpose of your assembly isn't to change anyone's mind, but instead to just virtue-signal with each other..."Look how great we are that we hold this opinion! Any difference of opinion is hate or a cult!" Sounds already like the hate is coming from both sides (as usual). Funny that you said you're passionate, but they are a cult. Passion is one of the words I'd use to describe a cult!

Last edited:
THIS! OMG THIS! So many people no longer understand this...I can't tell you how often people say to me, "Why are you being nice, when they are being an ****ole?" Well, I'll tell you why: I don't let others (especially a-holes) dictate my behavior! That's why!
To the OP: Your plan for these people is to "out-dick" them? Do you think that will win some hearts and minds? If that's the case then it sounds like the purpose of your assembly isn't to change anyone's mind, but instead to just virtue-signal with each other..."Look how great we are that we hold this opinion! Any difference of opinion is hate or a cult!" Sounds already like the hate is coming from both sides (as usual). Funny that you said you're passionate, but they are a cult. Passion is one of the words I'd use to describe a cult!
So do nothing?

So do nothing?
I have better things to do with my time. Seriously, I don't see the point in the original group, or the "cult" group being there. Nobody is changing anyone's mind by doing what they are doing. Neither will the "third" group trying to disrupt the "cult" group change anyones mind, in fact, it's more likely to create a wider chasm between the groups.

It's not like there are people out there going "Geee, I'm glad they protested, I had no idea that was happening. I agree!"

I have better things to do with my time. Seriously, I don't see the point in the original group, or the "cult" group being there. Nobody is changing anyone's mind by doing what they are doing. Neither will the "third" group trying to disrupt the "cult" group change anyones mind, in fact, it's more likely to create a wider chasm between the groups.

It's not like there are people out there going "Geee, I'm glad they protested, I had no idea that was happening. I agree!"
True, so let the disruptions continue and hope they go away? Everything is is fine until it affects the person individually. Have compassion until you are the one. Until you can’t get to the hospital because some group of passionate nutjobs are blocking the highway.
What would your solution be?

So in our world today, we can either A) be a bigger dick, or B) do nothing...no other options? Wow.
@Katamarino didnt say he wanted to kill or hurt anyone. All he did was ask for some of those other options you speak of. Got any suggestions for him?

@Katamarino didnt say he wanted to kill or hurt anyone. All he did was ask for some of those other options you speak of. Got any suggestions for him?
He asked how to "be as much of a dick as possible". For that, my only suggestion is to be better than that (which I thought my first post explained).

Last edited:
I think this idea is brilliant, and I like it a lot. If you've ever had an echo of your own voice on a cellphone call, or done some audio work where something isn't quite working right and it does the same thing, you know it's extremely disorienting. Due to the slight delay between when you say something and when you hear it (in this case through the megaphone), it's hard to concentrate and to get the words out. You can probably train yourself to get used to it, and basically "turn off" your ears, but in your situation here, I think it would be a very effective "surprise attack", and quite disruptive to the speaker!
They have an app that will repeat what your saying with a slight Delay that actually screws up your ability to talk. Your brain can handle the slight delay and you are someone incapacitated to talk. It’s a fun party trick.

I find it interesting how you’re unhappy with the actions of a certain group, but are okay turning around and doing the same type of things to them. That doesn’t make you a better person, that just puts you on their level. I always imagined that you were better than this. <sigh>

I find it interesting how you’re unhappy with the actions of a certain group, but are okay turning around and doing the same type of things to them. That doesn’t make you a better person, that just puts you on their level. I always imagined that you were better than this. <sigh>

If someone takes a shot at you, would shooting back be sinking to their level?

@Katamarino isn’t suggesting a disruption of the cult’s rallies, which would be retaliation and sinking to their level. He’s asking how to stop the cult from disrupting his event, which is self defense.

Self defense is justified. Retaliation is not.

@Katamarino isn’t suggesting a disruption of the cult’s rallies, which would be retaliation and sinking to their level. He’s asking how to stop the cult from disrupting his event, which is self defense.

That's quite a (false/straw man / apples vs oranges) comparison to justify the bad behavior!

It’s possible that I misread, but I didn’t see any mention that this was his event. It seems to me, this was an event that he was a part of and some ‘cult’ members who opposed the rally showed up. This reads like one side vs the other type behavior and deliberately trying to be as much of a dick as possible in response to their actions, only brings you down to their level.

He asked how to "be as much of a dick as possible". For that, my only suggestion is to be better than that (which I thought my first post explained).
Yeah, I sort of forgot he said that. But at least he said he wanted to TRY to keep it legal. He wasn't advocating throwing rocks or setting cars on fire. I figured he just wanted a way to stop the agitators from agitating. I have no problem with that.

Nope. There’s a difference between starting a fire and fighting fire with fire. Sorry you don’t see that.
I'm sympathetic to what you are saying, but that's a false equivalence. There's a difference between dealing with people and fires.

I'm sympathetic to what you are saying, but that's a false equivalence. There's a difference between dealing with people and fires.
You know darn well that "fighting fire with fire" is just a phrase that is not necessarily to be taken literally. It applies to more than just fires. Those people that were interrupting a legitimate rally are not going to just stop if you ask them politely.

what would you be doing? :D

Seems like there might be an opportunity for some kind of ANR setup. Bounce a cancellation signal back at them????????? Obviously not as easy to do and effective as inside a headset but maybe worth some research.

You know darn well that "fighting fire with fire" is just a phrase that is not necessarily to be taken literally. It applies to more than just fires. Those people that were interrupting a legitimate rally are not going to just stop if you ask them politely.
If it is just a phrase, then it really doesn't convey any useful suggestions to a specific situation, does it?

Yeah, I sort of forgot he said that. But at least he said he wanted to TRY to keep it legal. He wasn't advocating throwing rocks or setting cars on fire. I figured he just wanted a way to stop the agitators from agitating. I have no problem with that.
If you’re *trying* to keep things legal, you let law enforcement get involved, rather than try to take matters into your own hands. Responding in such ways to folks like these, most always doesn’t end by them just “going away”. You’re playing partisan games by doing what @Katamarino is suggesting and we all know the usual outcome from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back