Philips Sonicare vs. OralB

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
Thinking about an electric toothbrush. Is there much difference?

Since using the Sonicare I have noticed that the hygienist spends a whole lot less time scraping that metal pick on my teeth.

Got the Sonicare & a water flosser (Waterpik). Take care of them tooths and they last a lifetime ... :biggrin:

Reactions: Feh
I've used the Oral B on the advice of my dentist, but it really only seemed to be effective on surface plaque, and was useless for cleaning in between the teeth. If anything, the hygienist spends less time cleaning my teeth if I use a brush instead of the electric. I suppose it depends on what heads you use. I use the deepest reach possible.

The sonicare for me was a game changer as far as cleanings go. My cleanings are simple now. Minimal scraping. Takes a little getting used to. Hard fees like buzzing after first week or two.

My wife has an Oral B, I use a Sonicare. The Oral B relies more on mechanical brushing, not nearly as high frequency. The Sonicare is like a little handheld ultrasonic cleaner. Heads are easily replaced on both. Battery is simple in the Oral B, the Sonicare is a bit more complicated, a soldering iron is involved.

Neither of us ever get that "Geez, I gotta go get my teeth cleaned" feeling anymore.

My wife has an Oral B, I use a Sonicare. The Oral B relies more on mechanical brushing, not nearly as high frequency. The Sonicare is like a little handheld ultrasonic cleaner. Heads are easily replaced on both. Battery is simple in the Oral B, the Sonicare is a bit more complicated, a soldering iron is involved.

Neither of us ever get that "Geez, I gotta go get my teeth cleaned" feeling anymore.

Thanks! Someone with experience with both.

My teeth have never been great, in the past I'd need a filling every 1-2 years on average. I got a cheap sonicare to try it out, that was probably almost 10 years back and I haven't had a cavity since then. YMMV, but my experience with it has been very positive.

My Dad got everyone Sonicare brushes for Christmas probably 25 years ago. When my mom got Alzheimer’s it made brushing her teeth easier.

The battery wore out on mine and I replaced it years ago. I use it once a day and I like the way it makes my teeth feel. According to my hygenicist, it doesn’t make any difference to the amount of plaque she needs to remove.

My wife thinks it aggravates her tinnitus so she uses an Oral B.

Sonicare for the wife and I. Don't remember the model but they were $150-$180/ea but have lasted just fine for a few years. Supposedly they even Bluetooth to a phone app of some sort but I've never found a reason to want to do that.

I’ve used both; for comparable features and benefits, there is no significant differences at each price point.

When people make the step to the e-brushes, they are also likely to change other behaviors (use a water flosser, brush after meals, etc.) that result in overall better oral health.

I've used oral b for a long time. That and regular old fashioned floss and my teeth and hygienist are happy. The hand pieces eventually die, and the new ones aren't as nice as the old ones. The gears are rougher. But they work fine. I used waterpic also for a while, but have been OK with just flossing. At least for my teeth either floss or wp are required.

Back