What's the point of the G5 GPS?

MonkeyClaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timothy Miller
From what I've read, the G5 comes with a built-in GPS. It allows the G5 to compute ground speed and bearing (I think). But it can't provide moving map features or anything like that. It also can't feed an external interface, as far as I can tell. Is there any other reason for the G5 having the GPS? And do I just need an antenna to feed it? I will have an iFly 740b mounted, so I'm not sure if I need or care about the G5 GPS for a VFR-only aircraft.

The G5 uses GPS and airspeed data to provide the most accurate attitude information augmenting the built-in ADAHRs. The GPS also provides heading, track, and ground speed info. It will interface with the G3X system via the CAN bus to be a backup PFD/HSI and A/P controller and can be connected to IFR navigators like the GTN 650/750. Or as a stand-alone unit it's a PFD/HSI and Garmin autopilot controller. Unlike the certified models, the experimental G5 version is both PFD and HSI in the same unit.

The G5 uses GPS and airspeed data to provide the most accurate attitude information augmenting the built-in ADAHRs. The GPS also provides heading, track, and ground speed info. It will interface with the G3X system via the CAN bus to be a backup PFD/HSI and A/P controller and can be connected to IFR navigators like the GTN 650/750. Or as a stand-alone unit it's a PFD/HSI and Garmin autopilot controller. Unlike the certified models, the experimental G5 version is both PFD and HSI in the same unit.
I can see track and ground speed. But I can’t see how GPS can give you heading and attitude.

I can see track and ground speed. But I can’t see how GPS can give you heading and attitude.

It's the same in the G3X. I don't how exactly the computer uses the data in conjunction with airdata for the attitude presentation, but it does according to the Garmin manuals. Apparently for the G5 a loss of GPS won't significantly impact attitude accuracy, just it won't be the best it can be if it has a GPS signal. In the non-touch G3X, a loss of both GPS and Magnetometer data will red-X the PFD.

Last edited:
Thanks, but it was over my head. Can you dummy it down for me. How can GPS tell if the plane is pitched up or down, wings level or not, or which way the nose of the plane is pointed?

GPS doesn't provide the attitude solution - the built-in ADAHRS computer and accelerometers does that. What I believe the GPS does is provide velocity and positional data that augments but does not replace the accelerometer data. With GPS data available you get a best vs better attitude solution. Kinda sorta (but not exaclty) like how the position on a map on your phone or tablet is within a certain area using WiFi only, but turn on GPS and the accuracy is improved.

Last edited:
How can GPS tell if the plane is pitched up or down, wings level or not, or which way the nose of the plane is pointed?
The GPS is not doing that, vehicle velocities and accelerations (3 axis) from the GPS are used to augment the inertial measurement unit that senses attitudes with unknown errors. In general you can't measure attitude (very well, anyway) with a GPS and you *can* estimate attitude without a GPS, but you can get a better estimate of attitude using the GPS with other attitude systems.

Nauga,
closed loop

The GPS is not doing that, vehicle velocities and accelerations (3 axis) from the GPS are used to augment the inertial measurement unit that senses attitudes with unknown errors. In general you can't measure attitude (very well, anyway) with a GPS and you *can* estimate attitude without a GPS, but you can get a better estimate of attitude using the GPS with other attitude systems.

Nauga,
closed loop
Augment how? Does the GPS actually input info that will change the pitch and roll indications on the AI?

Sound like magic and witchcraft to me. I'm in! Can I use a splitter on the GPS antenna I'm using for the iFly? Or does it take a special or dedicated antenna?

Great info, BTW. Thanks!

Augment how? Does the GPS actually input info that will change the pitch and roll indications on the AI?
Yes, indirectly. Attitudes are not measured and output by the GPS, the linear rates and accelerations provided by the GPS are part of filter that calculates (actually estimates) attitude when/because the simple inertial attitude measurement (estimate) is inaccurate or too low a sample rate.

Nauga,
who needs another piece of paper

Can I use a splitter on the GPS antenna I'm using for the iFly? Or does it take a special or dedicated antenna?
I can't say about a splitter but it does have an internal antenna which was good enough in my installation. There are provisions for an external antenna, but I did not use one. My G5 also gets GPS data from two other sources, and while I have my suspicions I honestly don't know which source it uses for the augmentation.

Nauga,
who might be looking up at the ground

This is all good information to know, and it would have saved me time yesterday when I asked these same questions at the shop (dropped my plane off to have a G5 AI installed!).

This is all good information to know, and it would have saved me time yesterday when I asked these same questions at the shop (dropped my plane off to have a G5 AI installed!).
You might find (I sure have) that a lot of shops wouldn't have known the details listed above anyway. They generally tend to be quite unaware of the engineering that happened behind the scenes at the manufacturer

You might find (I sure have) that a lot of shops wouldn't have known the details listed above anyway. They generally tend to be quite unaware of the engineering that happened behind the scenes at the manufacturer
"How's it work?"
"FBM"

...and sometimes that's all you need to know.

Nauga,
and the magic smoke

"How's it work?"
"FBM"

...and sometimes that's all you need to know.
Couldn't be more true. Honestly I'd just be happy if they said "I dunno, I just follow the manual" but that'd be a lie too, because they all to often don't.

I can't say about a splitter but it does have an internal antenna which was good enough in my installation. There are provisions for an external antenna, but I did not use one. My G5 also gets GPS data from two other sources, and while I have my suspicions I honestly don't know which source it uses for the augmentation.

Nauga,
who might be looking up at the ground

I love your sign-offs! Is that an app?

My G5 is tucked under the sunshade on my panel and I was told it doesn't get the GPS signal very well. I guess I'll find out when I fly it.

Thanks again for all of the info and replies!

Yes, indirectly. Attitudes are not measured and output by the GPS, the linear rates and accelerations provided by the GPS are part of filter that calculates (actually estimates) attitude when/because the simple inertial attitude measurement (estimate) is inaccurate or too low a sample rate.

Nauga,
who needs another piece of paper
So if GPS, by tracking you, sees that you are turning left, it will assume the wings are rolled to the left? And if your ground speed is increasing it will assume the nose is pitching down? Ground speed decreasing, assume the nose is pitching up?

So if GPS, by tracking you, sees that you are turning left, it will assume the wings are rolled to the left? And if your ground speed is increasing it will assume the nose is pitching down? Ground speed decreasing, assume the nose is pitching up?
It's far more complex than that, and I'm not confident I can simplify it enough without making some glaring error that's going to further confuse the issue. GPS, accelerometer, and gyro (solid-state these days) data are all collected and used to partially populate a model of the system (in this case a 3-variable attitude state-space model) which is then numerically solved which will provide (among other things) an estimate of the attitude of the airplane that is more accurate than that measured by the inertial 'attitude' sensors alone. While the GPS inputs may resolve into e.g. 'moving left so must be banked left' etc, the model assumptions are not (or 'should not be') that simple, and the system, if implemented correctly, can handle unusual attitudes.

Nauga,
decoupled

It's far more complex than that, and I'm not confident I can simplify it enough without making some glaring error that's going to further confuse the issue. GPS, accelerometer, and gyro (solid-state these days) data are all collected and used to partially populate a model of the system (in this case a 3-variable attitude state-space model) which is then numerically solved which will provide (among other things) an estimate of the attitude of the airplane that is more accurate than that measured by the inertial 'attitude' sensors alone. While the GPS inputs may resolve into e.g. 'moving left so must be banked left' etc, the model assumptions are not (or 'should not be') that simple, and the system, if implemented correctly, can handle unusual attitudes.

Nauga,
decoupled
Ok. It still doesn't completely pass the logic with me, but it's far from the first I just didn't have enough Bytes between my ears to grasp the logic. Thanks for taking the time to take a stab it.

Ok. It still doesn't completely pass the logic with me, but it's far from the first I just didn't have enough Bytes between my ears to grasp the logic. Thanks for taking the time to take a stab it.
Gps recievers are a few dollars, and all they do is output a stream of character data regarding calculated data points. There are many apps for phones that will show the NEMA data streams and its quite impressive.

The attitude indicator is run by simple strain gauge type accelerometers (sorry, no solid state gyros at this level, and no ring laser gyros either).

Take a OSS Stratux. The GPS is a USB dongle and the AHRS sensors are another USB dongle.... Quite simple to add a library to take the standard outputs and use it to drive a quasi accurate display.

Its all done with less then $5 worth of silicon.

Gps recievers are a few dollars, and all they do is output a stream of character data regarding calculated data points. There are many apps for phones that will show the NEMA data streams and its quite impressive.

The attitude indicator is run by simple strain gauge type accelerometers (sorry, no solid state gyros at this level, and no ring laser gyros either).

Take a OSS Stratux. The GPS is a USB dongle and the AHRS sensors are another USB dongle.... Quite simple to add a library to take the standard outputs and use it to drive a quasi accurate display.

Its all done with less then $5 worth of silicon.
I get how the ‘display’ has a a lot of info on it. And it comes from different sources. Never heard of NEMA before. Googled, It’s NMEA. Looks to be basically a standard language so to speak. GPS can only tell it where you are. Then it can take the where you are report, compare it to the previous where you are reports, which are now where you were. And it knows the exact time between all the where you are reports. That can be used to give ground speed and vertical speed. And it can be used to predict where the next where you are report is likely to be. And that can be fed into the G5 and it can have a really great display with lots of very useful information on it. But what’s been said is that GPS can somehow be used to tell if the nose of the plane is pointed up or down and by how much. Or if the wings are level or not and if not, by how much. That’s what I’m having trouble with. That GPS provide attitude information.

But what’s been said is that GPS can somehow be used to tell if the nose of the plane is pointed up or down and by how much. Or if the wings are level or not and if not, by how much. That’s what I’m having trouble with. That GPS provide attitude information.

Thats not exactly what we said. What we said was GPS augments the attitude solution by providing velocity and 3-D position data to fine tune what the accelerometers and air data sensors are sensing. The computer, using an algorithm translates all of this data into an attitude information. In the G5, GPS by itself is not producing and attitude solution.

i think there are some devices that can take GPS data (again velocity and 3-D position) and present a faux attitude presentation (it’s really displaying trend data) that’s reasonably accurate for VFR conditions. Again it’s the algorithm doing the work, not the GPS. But it’s not a true attitude presentation.

Last edited:
Thats not exactly what we said. What we said was GPS augments the attitude solution by providing velocity and 3-D position data to fine tune what the accelerometers and air data sensors are sensing. The computer, using an algorithm translates all of this data into an attitude information. In the G5, GPS by itself is not producing and attitude solution.
Yeah, I know, see my post #9. But it still isn't sitting right with me. In order to augment 'attitude' it has to be making some kind of determination on what the attitude of the plane is. I simply can't see how GPS could know where the nose of the plane or the wings are. Well, they're where the plane is of course, but which they are pointed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, see my post #9. But it still isn't sitting right with me. In order to augment 'attitude' it has to be making some kind of determination on what the attitude of the plane is. I simply can't see how GPS could know where the nose of the plane or the wings are.

the GPS doesn’t. It’s SEPARATE computer that’s doing it. I don’t know what else to tell you.

the GPS doesn’t. It’s SEPARATE computer that’s doing it. I don’t know what else to tell you.
If the GPS can't determine attitude, how can it augment the attitude display. Or maybe I should say, how can the SEPARATE computer use GPS to augment the attitude display if GPS is incapable of determining attitude.

If the GPS can't determine attitude, how can it augment the attitude display. Or maybe I should say, how can the SEPARATE computer use GPS to augment the attitude display if GPS is incapable of determining attitude.

If an inertial reference system can be used to calculate position, as was done before adoption of GPS, then a calculated position can be compared to the actual position with GPS and the inertial sensor (or in this case AHRS) measurements corrected for accuracy.

Let me just say (in jest) you are trying to understand something you weren’t meant to understand. Just fly the plane.

My iFly will use the GPS information to give you a GPS panel with turn & bank information.

The GPS reads the various positions of the plane in a turn, the speed along with altitude changes & calculates a bank angle that will fit the information given.

I would never use it as it is very slow to respond and wildly inaccurate ... :cryin:

If an inertial reference system can be used to calculate position, as was done before adoption of GPS, then a calculated position can be compared to the actual position with GPS and the inertial sensor (or in this case AHRS) measurements corrected for accuracy.
Altitude. Not position. I’m talking about attitude. I’m saying I don’t see how GPS could know if the plane was pitched or down or if the wings were level banked.

You’re thinking precision information and I’m guessing the data used as a supplement is much simpler than that. A GPS is capable of measuring altitude via multiple satellites, correct? If you are climbing (pitching up) GPS can “see” the change and use that to validate what the AHRS is “seeing”. You turn (bank) and the GPS plots an arc, which means it validates the AHRS derived bank. This is obviously a simple way for me to understand what MIGHT be happening. And, if I’m wrong I’m OK with it. I’ve seen a few crazy things happen with instruments of AHRS equipped aircraft and as a result I don’t totally trust them like I first did.

Altitude. Not position. I’m talking about attitude. I’m saying I don’t see how GPS could know if the plane was pitched or down or if the wings were level banked.
You keep saying attitude and everyone understands that the final result is attitude, but what you're missing is that time/space/position information from a GPS can be used with the methods discussed in references posted here to refine an attitude estimate provided by other methods (e.g. inertial reference units). The GPS does not provide attitude, it provides data that can be used to improve an attitude estimate. What you might think of as your no-**** attitude is really just a measurement or estimate of attitude from a variety of sources, each with some inaccuracy or uncertainty. You can use additional sources, some of which may not be an exact corollary to the thing you're trying to measure but with known physical relationships to them (e.g. equations of motion), to improve the accuracy or decrease the uncertainty.

Nauga,
whose attitude has degraded

Last edited:

I know what you are talking about. You didn't read my post.

What you seem to be missing is that the airplane is not a hovercraft floating in place. Pitch, bank, and g-forces will result in predictable change in position.

The predicted position is compared to the actual position and the difference is used to correct the pitch, bank, and acceleration estimates.

Last edited:

Using the word augment is probably not correct. An INS unit will drift with time. The GPS position and velocity data is used to make the position and velocity data more accurate so when the computer computes the attitude information it is more accurate. Generally, in sophisticated systems, INS data, GPS data, and rate gyro or ring laser gyro data are all Kalman filtered together to get a much more accurate solution of the state space of the aircraft.

Edit: What Nauga said above.

You keep saying attitude and everyone understands that the final result is attitude, but what you're missing is that time/space/position information from a GPS can be used with the methods discussed in references posted here to refine an attitude estimate provided by other methods (e.g. inertial reference units). The GPS does not provide attitude, it provides data that can be used to improve an attitude estimate. What you might think of as your no-**** attitude is really just a measurement or estimate of attitude from a variety of sources, each with some inaccuracy or uncertainty. You can use additional sources, some of which may not be an exact corollary to the thing you're trying to measure but with known physical relationships to them (e.g. equations of motion), to improve the accuracy or decrease the uncertainty.

Nauga,
whose attitude has degraded

This is the extended Kalman filter's role - every time I try and understand it, I feel like I understand it less... but it works. Also, if you have a multi-receiver GPS you can (more or less) directly measure attitude (3 receivers required, with 3 separate antennas). What has always kind of warped my mind is that the only reasonable cost commercially available system that does this is made by Vbox (mostly for automotive/motorcycle testing), and requires relative GPS antenna positions to be manually measured and input before pitch and roll 'measurements' are accurate (you would think that each GPS receiver would be receiving the same signals from the same satellites at the same time and be able to calculate relative positions without user inputs). My pet theory is that they are using their Doppler shift (of the GPS carrier signal)/direct speed measurement strategy on overhead satellites to act as pitch and roll RATE sensors, then integrating those velocities for pitch and roll (probably also through an extended Kalman filter) rather than calculating differences in GPS location solutions.

Matt
Who almost always enjoys Nauga's signature.

Basically the G5 is solving a triangle. It knows two points (side opposite and side adjacent) to calculate the angle of the hypotenuse. Then it displays that angle as a percieve attitude on the screen.

Excepts is just a guess from old data. Fir VFR its good enough. For IFR you want gyros not math and old data.

It cannot be explained any simpler.

Back