Flight training - Zero to Hero

missin44

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
missin44
I'm looking for recommendations for flight schools that offer programs from private through commercial, CFI, CFII, and MEI. I know there are hundreds out there (ATP being the largest). If you have first-hand knowledge of operations that run a good program, large or small I would be interested in your experience.

i have heard that ATP is really good an inexpensive

As a CFI, I have seen some of the pilots and CFIs ATP churned out. Not very impressed with the knowledge they possess or the quality of flying.

I'm looking for recommendations for flight schools that offer programs from private through commercial, CFI, CFII, and MEI. I know there are hundreds out there (ATP being the largest). If you have first-hand knowledge of operations that run a good program, large or small I would be interested in your experience.
Look at Nationwide Aviation at KWEA and 52F

Beyond earning all the ratings, what is your aviation goal?

The skeptic in me says ATP has something valuable to offer, why else would they stay in business?

I haven't done a net present value calculation over an entire pilot career, but you might actually come out ahead going to a place like ATP.

The skeptic in me says ATP has something valuable to offer, why else would they stay in business?…
Only you can determine if their cost aligns to tue value you seek.

I hate the “zero to hero” phrase. It’s just not accurate. No experience, no ATP, no anything.
it should be “zero to single A instructional leagues”.

I did not truly understand what it meant to be a pro aviator until I was hired at an airline. Had no clue about stringent SOP’S and so forth. Calls, actions…. I constantly fly with folks I’ve never met, yet it’s a ballet.

Any of the puppy mills will only be worth what you are willing to put into it. Just don’t be one of those that expect to be passed because you are spending big money, put in the effort.

Any of the puppy mills will only be worth what you are willing to put into it. Just don’t be one of those that expect to be passed because you are spending big money, put in the effort.
That is true, and a common misconception.
Many folks at FSI think they will pass without effort because they paid high dollars.
I’ve seen that theory blown several times in my past life.

I hate the “zero to hero” phrase. It’s just not accurate. No experience, no ATP, no anything.
it should be “zero to single A instructional leagues”.

Jeez, it's a figure of speech that gets to the point. I'm just asking for recommendations for schools that are setup for an accelerated type program.

I have to endorse the United Aviate Academy. Doing great things in the Scottsdale area.

Purdue Aviation (not Purdue University, though affiliated and same airport). You don’t have to be in/at the University. I’m not sure what accelerated means, but they’ll take you from dream flight to ATP, cost effectively. You earn hours and money by instructing. May take more time or not. Call and ask.

ATP is incredibly overpriced, does absolutely nothing to help students who need help, and you end up swamped in debt.

It’s really not that difficult to get your ratings in a year at any number of other normal schools if you find one that will fly with you five days a week.

I’ve only been CFIing since March, and I’ve already had two students come from ATP with 45 hours, $22k poorer, and having not even soloed.

At the very least, get your private first before going to any accelerated program like ATP. That is, unless you really want to pay $400 an hour for an old Cherokee and a CFI on the gamble that ATP’s structure will work for you. If it doesn’t, it’s going to leave you broke and broken.

Does/did Lufthansa have something similar in AZ? Or did it get bought by United? Seemed highly praised back then?

Lufthansa pulled out and United filled the void.

They're beating up the pattern and practice area here at Goodyear (GYR), the West side of the Phoenix Metro.

Seems like a decent group.

I had a bad experience with puppy mill factories like ATP Whether it’s a fresh private or a new CFI it does t seem matter. As soon as they jump in local club airplanes tear and wear and accidents goes up significantly.

I did part 61 training and got to CFI for a total of $45,000 and 1.5-2 yrs (initially was still working full time in another industry).

August ‘18 first flight lesson.
CFI May ‘20-‘21
King Air FO May ‘21.
CE-550 FO Nov’21.
CE-550 Captain April ‘22

The problem with the 0 time to ATP schools is that most of their instructors are from that school. So very inbred and the schools can develop bad habits.

I’m going through Coast Flight Training here in TX and so far everything is going smooth. just wanted to throw it out there

Is anyone ever a ‘hero’? My answer is no. Zero to hero is unrealistic, just saying, sorry.

Back