Do you name your plane?

C120 - THE Mighty Mighty Cessna
182 - Yellow Bird

Attachments

• 8C2E7224-8730-416B-AFC3-EB81C12FED02.jpeg
    8C2E7224-8730-416B-AFC3-EB81C12FED02.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 17
I had a plane.

Its name was Peggy. Which is short for Pegasus, the flying horse. Because, fiscally speaking, owning horses is slightly less expensive than owning an airplane.

YMMV

Rather uncreatively, my PA28R is "Mr. Arrow".
It also has an expletive-laden nickname that I use anytime a new item is added to the squawk list :)

... But this is still a massive improvement over the training plane I used to use, which I would only ever refer to as: "jfc this shi*box" (it got beat up bad by student pilots and something was always messed up).

a massive improvement over the training plane I used to use, which I would only ever refer to as: "jfc this shi*box
Lol. Reminds me of my pet name for the club 172: "the Rent-a-Wreck Cessna"

I only refer to my plane as "my plane" or "35E". Her pronouns are she/her.

My wife refers to her as "your mistress".

Audrey -- names after the man eating plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

the plane is green and she eats up my cash

My plane reg ends in a double C, which is a PITA at controlled fields but anyways. Nicknamed it Cloud Cutter. I also have a much more ridiculous nickname for it when it eats a $100 part.

Last edited:
The amphibian I have on order will be named Daffy after Daffy Duck who also was my wife’s favorite cartoon character.

I’m looking for nose art from WWII with Daffy in it to copy. Be good if it was on a Catalina, Goose or other relic, like me.

Lot’s of Donald Duck but Daffy seems scarce.

Cheers

The amphibian I have on order will be named Daffy after Daffy Duck who also was my wife’s favorite cartoon character.

I’m looking for nose art from WWII with Daffy in it to copy. Be good if it was on a Catalina, Goose or other relic, like me.

Lot’s of Donald Duck but Daffy seems scarce.
Disney had a deal with the War Department, generating nose art at no charge upon request. Don't think Warner Brothers did.

Disney characters were pretty wide-spread, with even British and German airplanes carrying art based on their characters.
nose art.JPG
nose art2.JPG
Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
My wife names everything. Ev-ery-thing. Cars, robot vacuums, and yes, the plane.

Usually the names are cutesy based on what it is, so Bonnie the BMW, Reginald the Roomba, etc. For the plane, she actually spent some time on it. The plane is named after my Mom, who passed back in 2003. She and my wife were very close. My Mom's name was Mary, so the plane got the Gaelic version of Mary, which is Máire.

I will say, when my wife told me the name, I thought it was a nice tribute, but she pronounced it "Mare." Knowing quite a few Irish names that don't really sound like they're spelled like Aoife, Saoirse, Naimh, Siobhan (Eefie, Sirsha ,Neev, Shavon). I looked up the pronunciation of Máire. It's Moira.

I'm good with that.

Lol. Reminds me of my pet name for the club 172: "the Rent-a-Wreck Cessna"

I only refer to my plane as "my plane" or "35E". Her pronouns are she/her.

My wife refers to her as "your mistress".
The "Tin Mistress" has a nice ring to it. Mine has been described thusly.

The "Tin Mistress" has a nice ring to it. Mine has been described thusly.
Hmmm....Aluminum Mistress....you may have named my plane lol

I call the Flight Design, from which I've removed all the swirling decals so it is pure white, "Sperm Cell".
I call the Rans S-7, which is OD and in the livery of a WWII Field Artillery spotter plane, N182HB, "Hanne B" after my wife, and it has nose art of a honey bee. I figured that was appropriate for an artillery spotter plane.

We named the roomba "Fifi." Best pet we ever had. Quiet, stays in her spot until told otherwise, eats dirt....

Just don't put your roomba on the counter next to the stove top. It might turn it on and accidentally burn your house down. Ask my friend how he knows.

We had a Neato and a Roomba. The Neato was named Rosie, the Roomba is Hazel. The Neato was pretty smart, the Roomba is as dumb as a bag of hammers. The Neato also died after a couple of years and the Roomba refuses to die, so maybe there's the answer to where society is headed.

Been there! I did a very short video (18 seconds) with the answer you seek:

Can you send the robots over to my hangar? There are too many days when I'd like to blow whatchamacallit it to hell!

Sherbet, for obvious reasons if you look at my avatar. That pic was taken before I had it painted, but I kept the original paint scheme. The plane was named by a pilot acquaintance of mine who had a plane called "The Grape" because it was purple and white. My motorcycles have had names, Sapphire for the deep blue and white H-D Deluxe I used to own and Amethyst for my current bike (H-D Street Glide Special), which has a purple flake paint job with ghost flames. Interestingly, the flake is dichroic, and when you're facing the sun looking at it, it's bronze. Haven't named any of my other ground vehicles.

Judy! Welcome back! Is your summer sabbatical over?

Summer is not over yet so, no. Besides, being semi-retired means that, work-wise, there is no summer. Actually in some ways I work MORE in the summer because that's when I do field work.

I've been busy. Field work in Utah, Cessna Pilots Society get-together in KC, cruise in the Inside Passage (Alaska) followed by a wildly successful fishing trip out of Juneau. Next up, fly to Utah for more field work followed by flying to California to visit friends and family.

Summer is not over yet so, no. Besides, being semi-retired means that, work-wise, there is no summer. Actually in some ways I work MORE in the summer because that's when I do field work.

I've been busy. Field work in Utah, Cessna Pilots Society get-together in KC, cruise in the Inside Passage (Alaska) followed by a wildly successful fishing trip out of Juneau. Next up, fly to Utah for more field work followed by flying to California to visit friends and family.

Post some pics!

This halibut might seem small, but in fact it's considered good sized for this area (and limitations). One of four. We also got 10 salmon (8 coho, 2 pinks), 19 rockfish, 2 mackerel, 1 cod, and 5 Dungeness crabs. We'll be eating good starting tomorrow (when the processed/frozen goods arrive).

25D41E35-5503-4212-97F7-5EE8B026B0FD.jpeg

Just don't put your roomba on the counter next to the stove top. It might turn it on and accidentally burn your house down. Ask my friend how he knows.

WFT?!

Why the F--- would you EVER put a robot vacuum on the counter?????

Mine (a Proscenic) sits in its charging dock unless running.

WFT?!

Why the F--- would you EVER put a robot vacuum on the counter?????

Mine (a Proscenic) sits in its charging dock unless running.
I've never asked. But they did. Maybe it was jammed? Tinkering with settings? They then left it there and left for vacation and it activated, turned on the stove and started a fire.

No name given to my planes or my cars, except for my very first car I purchased right after graduation.

Elizabeth, a 73 Monte Carlo.
EED27C82-DBA2-4D11-9D79-9F6EC2DD0CAE.jpeg

No name given to my planes or my cars, except for my very first car I purchased right after graduation.

Elizabeth, a 73 Monte Carlo.
View attachment 108888

My parents had a 71. When they bought it off the lot (long story), they had a choice of two. I came THIS CLOSE to having them buy the SS454 one.

But it had power doors locks and my mother did not want them.

Probably saved my license and possibly my life. :D

Back