Pilots leaving their plane full of passangers

If they reviewed some part of the take off or departure procedure, and didn't agree with each other on how to do it, I can see returning. People have crashed aircraft because they didn't agree on what to do, so just refusing to fly together sounds a whole heck of a lot better than that. Complete guess, but giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Or maybe it was some screwy disagreement that had nothing to do with flying.

You absolutely DONT want two pilots flying together that can;t get along. Airlines started that many, many years ago after too many tragic incidents. I think Western was the first to implement that policy after a very close call. Probably in the mid 50's. Eventually CRM was an out growth of that policy. A very famous strike and lots of bitterness surrounding that strike caused one major to have an iron policy surrounding CRM. I'm very sure it kept them from bending a lot of metal.

If the airline can stuff me into a coach-class middle seat between two smelly 300-pounders going home after two weeks on an offshore oil rig, surely they can persuade two pilots to put up with each other for the flight.

Sad for the passengers and cabin crew left to deal with it…probably need to fire somebody but the union will step in…no prior knowledge but the way it works…the industry gets another black mark.

If the airline can stuff me into a coach-class middle seat between two smelly 300-pounders going home after two weeks on an offshore oil rig, surely they can persuade two pilots to put up with each other for the flight.

The flight was at an outstation. We don't know how many flights these pilots did together preceding the event.

There was also bad weather in IAD that day. Several of my flights were cancelled.

Some people pay extra for that service…

High-wing vs low-wing?
Android vs iOS?
Garmin vs Dynon?
Pitch-for-airspeed vs throttle-for-airspeed?
Crosswind entry vs teardrop to the 45?
Roll-aboard vs roller-board?

"This is how we did it at Virgin America"

You absolutely DONT want two pilots flying together that can;t get along. Airlines started that many, many years ago after too many tragic incidents. I think Western was the first to implement that policy after a very close call. Probably in the mid 50's. Eventually CRM was an out growth of that policy. A very famous strike and lots of bitterness surrounding that strike caused one major to have an iron policy surrounding CRM. I'm very sure it kept them from bending a lot of metal.
I agree 100%! If two crew members got to this level of animosity on the ground they should absolutely not leave the ground. Safety should ALWAYS be the number one consideration of the flight at any airline. The captain as PIC, with input from the rest of the crew(CRM), has final authority on whether the flight can be conducted safely.

FO: "...uh Cap'n is that Titos I smell?"
CA: "Just what are you trying to say?"
FO: "That I think I smell Titos."
CA: "Heck no...I would never..."
FO: "Should I call for a relief?"
CA: "...No. I would never buy that cheap crap. Grey Goose all the way."

-probably

given my increasing disdain for the human race, who can blame them?

#ratherhavethextragas #sportofkings #happywiththepaycut

I remember flying with a few captains that thought CRM was BS.
I had a conversation years ago with a friend to that effect…

Him: CRM is BS! If I’m taking off in an overloaded C-46 and an engine quits, I’m not going to slide my seat back, pour a cup of coffee, and ask the FO what he thinks we should do. I’m going to feather it!

Me: If the FO sees your hand going to feather the wrong engine, can he slap your hand away?

Him: Of course.

Me: That’s CRM!

one of the the few times I had him speechless.
:D

I had a conversation years ago with a friend to that effect…

Him: CRM is BS! If I’m taking off in an overloaded C-46 and an engine quits, I’m not going to slide my seat back, pour a cup of coffee, and ask the FO what he thinks we should do. I’m going to feather it!

Me: If the FO sees your hand going to feather the wrong engine, can he slap your hand away?

Him: Of course.

Me: That’s CRM!

one of the the few times I had him speechless.
:D

That would be a tough call for the FO! I’m sure there will be repercussions for both crew members pertaining to this flight. I remember flying with a few captains that thought CRM was BS.
not a tough call at all, if the captain is not going to fly by SOP's and possibly violate policy or worse yet, far's im out of there and calling pro standards and let them deal with it. lucky in all the years in the right seat i have never had to make the call. i did tell a captain we needed to refuse an aircraft that he was willing to take the other day, he finally agreed.

a minor, side-point, but can pilots abandon a ship full of passengers, even at the gate?
(ref the title)
thought someone had to stick around to initiate an evacuation if needed.

That’s why FA’s can’t leave until Pax are off…pilots are free to go…at least that’s how I am told it works…funny how that’s not the case in a sinking ship…

Democrat v Republican
Catholic vs Protestant
Army vs Navy
Tastes great vs Less filling.....

Could be a thousand reasons.

Wrong Attitude…. Wings level professionally !! get another driver, if pax don’t buy tickets = pilots (drivers) don’t get paid. Go back to 172 traffic patterns and do that to a student… lesson learnt !!

Just read where (yesterday?) they had a fire in the back of a plane and the first one out after the door was opened was the pilot, followed by all the rest of the crew except one of the cabin staff who had to get all the passengers off a plane rapidly filling with smoke.
Just another reason to not fly Spam Can Airlines.

Hey! I took a shower two days prior!

Just read where (yesterday?) they had a fire in the back of a plane and the first one out after the door was opened was the pilot, followed by all the rest of the crew except one of the cabin staff who had to get all the passengers off a plane rapidly filling with smoke.
Just another reason to not fly Spam Can Airlines.
both pilots, no, one yes. our SOP is once the evac checklist is done, the FO exits to run heard on the outside until the aircraft is empty and the captain makes the final sweep and exit the aircraft. take notice that's exactly how it worked with jeff and sully. jeff took charge outside, sully swept the cabin and then exited and assumed command outside.

Back