Do You Have An Attitude?

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Newest safety video from the Air Safety Institute ...

Well, I tried to hold back. I just can’t.

I absolutely love safety videos, but this one is a POS.

Using an incident from 1977 to draw the conclusions they did about hazardous attitudes and an accident in 2019? That’s a stretch. I don’t think I learned anything, except reminding me of the 5 haz attitudes, but a shoddy way of doing it.

Talking about the people below getting ready for the Super Bowl? Cheesy at best.

This was crap.

But no negative vibes to @Daleandee for posting it.

It wasn't their usual brand of class but it seemed to be a fair reminder that perhaps as pilots gain hours and experience they might become more comfortable with letting the little things slide. Certainly we have lately discussed a number of accidents where the end of the conversation was either - what were they thinking? or, how'd they miss that?

Thanks for the feedback. No harm, no foul! :)

There's at least one halfway famous pilot that doesn't believe there are any unusual attitudes, if you have some basic aerobatic training.

I had a girlfriend many years ago and her attitude definitely fit the description I was given during my initial training i.e. "attitude is the position of your nose in reference to the horizon!"

There was nothing on her horizon but she wouldn't have seen it anyway with her nose high, ready for a power on full stall, attitude.

I agree.

The information in the video was nowhere near sufficient to make a determination of anything, let alone hazardous attitudes. The pilot took off VFR with a 4000 ft ceiling. So what? That's VFR. Now, yes, he would have to climb over the mountains to the north, but the video doesn't give us an indication of the weather up that way.

Then he flew into IMC and lost control. VFR-into-IMC is a common problem, and doesn't necessarily imply a hazardous attitude. Bad planning, bad decision making, possibly, but "hazardous attitude" is a bit of a leap without any additional information.

They claim the guy showed 3 of the 5 attitudes. But if he was truly "anti-authority", I would have expected him to just turn northbound, turn on the autopilot, and fly right through the clouds.

And yeah, 1977? 42 years before the accident? I like to think I'm better and smarter now than I was 42 years ago. The video assumes he hasn't learned anything in those 42 years, from a 33-year-old non-instrument rated private pilot to a 10,000 hour 75-year-old instrument rated pilot.

Yes, all the things the video claims are possible. But it doesn't make a strong case for any of them.

Back