Airline terminology poll

What do you call a carry-on bag with wheels?

• Roll-aboard

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • Rollerboard

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
The same people who say we have been cleared to land when the plane hasn’t quite been handed off to approach are my only source on this, and they’re inconsistent. So, here’s a poll.

Yes, I’m flying commercial today with two rushed layovers due to a go-around, lack of ground crew, and an apparent security breach that delayed a first officer, plus a 2-hour drive at the end. Yes, I’m bored and wish I had flown myself despite the distance. And yes, I really do want to know the right answer.

Who-the-f-cares as long as you pays your $50 fee and it’s not a bomb

If it rolls, slides, walks, has to be dragged or carried by hand it is all luggage to me.

Who-the-f-cares as long as you pays your $50 fee and it’s not a bomb
Thankfully, because our flight was very full (as opposed to just full), they allowed people who had brought 3 or more suitcases to the gate instead of paying $50 to check one of them to check a bag to their final destination for free. Sometimes I wonder why anyone bothers to follow any rules at all.

I believe Rollaboard is a registered trademark while roll-aboard is not.

Frankly, I’ve never given it a second thought. I just call it a rolling suitcase.

The name rollerboard makes no sense to me. At least Roll aboard makes sense. There was a time when everyone carried their bag aboard the aircraft. Then they put wheels on them and you could roll them aboard the plane. So the term roll-aboard actually makes sense. What in the world is a "rollerboard"? That's probably a better name for a skate board.

#^%$ piece of #$*^ when it does that thing where it gets cocked off to one side and you can't just straighten in out with one tug.

rolley bag

Also fidget spinner as I'm walking through endless miles of airport.
I've got a nice one with 4 wheels and I've gotten pretty good at suitcase aerobatics.
My wife says I'm embarrassing her, but I think I'm pretty good!

I've never heard either. I have yet to fly with a bag with wheels, though. Growing up, I always called any bag with wheels a suitcase, and everything else was a backpack, duffel bag, etc. When does a bag with wheels become a suitcase and not a "rollaboard" or whatever it's called?

Back