Garmin Pilot for a Student Pilot

Pendragon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pendragon
So I am a student pilot and have begun incorporating Garmin Pilot app into my lessons. I also use the Garmin GDL 50 for ADS-B in. I have observed that GP automatically tracks the course of the plane very nicely and saves the track for later examination. What I am struggling with is creating a flight plan that I can use to go to another airport for touch and go's and return to the original airport. When using Flight Plan within GP if I make the Originating airport the same as the Destination airport (i.e. round trip) and make the remote airport a Waypoint within the Flight Plan, it doesn't create a route that flies into the airport vs a flyover waypoint. Do I need to break the trip into two legs (two Flight Plans) or is there a way to fly into remote airports as a waypoint that actually flies into the airport? I have watched numerous GP videos on YouTube, but nothing really addresses this issue. Also, is there a way to view the altitude profile of the flight? It appears that you can only get the altitude track when you use a Flight Plan...

Just enter it as KABC KXYZ KABC. It should populate it just fine.

I'm having a difficult time with your "Flies into the airport" concept. Are you looking for a waypoint that sets you up for the airport, vs. the airport center itself?

I'm having a difficult time with your "Flies into the airport" concept. Are you looking for a waypoint that sets you up for the airport, vs. the airport center itself?
Right, I want to do a touch and go at the airport and return to home airport. So the flight plan will recognize a landing at the airport vs. a flyover.

Don't use waypoint. Put in your home field and then the airport you want to do the touch and go at. When you want the return leg, there is a double arrow key on the flight plan page that will reverse the fields in the flight plan.

Right, I want to do a touch and go at the airport and return to home airport. So the flight plan will recognize a landing at the airport vs. a flyover.

okay. Still having trouble.

How does GP care about your landing?

There’s something big I am not getting. And it’s probably simple, knowing me.

okay. Still having trouble.

How does GP care about your landing?

There’s something big I am not getting. And it’s probably simple, knowing me.

I 'think' what the OP is talking about this........the first pic is JQF -> AFP -> JQF:

IMG_2416.jpg

but this pic is JQF -> AFP -> PYG -> JQF
IMG_2418.PNG

. When using Flight Plan within GP if I make the Originating airport the same as the Destination airport (i.e. round trip) and make the remote airport a Waypoint within the Flight Plan, it doesn't create a route that flies into the airport vs a flyover waypoint. Do I need to break the trip into two legs (two Flight Plans) or is there a way to fly into remote airports as a waypoint that actually flies into the airport?

you mean you don’t like the fact GP shows a teardrop 180 instead of unrealistically pivoting on a dime? Yeah, it is a little annoying but not that big a deal. Best alternative I can offer is to learn the ‘invert flight plan’ function.

. Also, is there a way to view the altitude profile of the flight? It appears that you can only get the altitude track when you use a Flight Plan...

i don’t know how to view it as a graph in GP; but you can see the instantaneous altitude in demo mode in the flight profile view. Alternatively, you can export the data to another app.

I 'think' what the OP is talking about this........the first pic is JQF -> AFP -> JQF:

View attachment 108753

but this pic is JQF -> AFP -> PYG -> JQF
View attachment 108754
That is it, the second pic, doesn't look like GP is rendering a landing at KPYG, if that is the way it handles it, then ok, I just thought it should depict a teardrop entry into the pattern and the line crossing over the airport in some fashion, or some other direct point on the airport.

That is it, the second pic, doesn't look like GP is rendering a landing at KPYG, if that is the way it handles it, then ok, I just thought it should depict a teardrop entry into the pattern and the line crossing over the airport in some fashion, or some other direct point on the airport.

you're not kidding?

how would it know which runway? Your approach preference?

no, only foreflight users need to be told how to enter a pattern.

GP has profile view. Here is a quick (wishlist) flight from Jackson to Driggs arkund to the south to get some big rocks in the profile:

Screenshot_20220719-192955_Pilot.jpg

Does this have something to do with you want it put in your Logbook and recognize the landing at that other airport? Just a thought that came to mind. I don't even know if GP has an electro Logbook thingy

Does this have something to do with you want it put in your Logbook and recognize the landing at that other airport? Just a thought that came to mind. I don't even know if GP has an electro Logbook thingy

GP does have an electrolog thingy. In my experience it would need definitely to be validated/edited before being exported to a logbook system. As a paper guy, myself, it’s not been very useful. 90-hr flights are often amusing with it.

That is part of it, I am trying to keep all my flights within the electronic logbook, but just thought it ought to draw the course line over the airport and then back again, I appreciate it cannot determine the pattern approach or best runway.

Should be having this discussion with your CFI, he is the one you are relying on to teach you.

GP has profile view. Here is a quick (wishlist) flight from Jackson to Driggs arkund to the south to get some big rocks in the profile:

View attachment 108755
Yes, but I assume that will only be generated when you use the Flight Plan option, not with following the course path when you just launch Garmin Pilot and start flying.

Yes, but I assume that will only be generated when you use the Flight Plan option, not with following the course path when you just launch Garmin Pilot and start flying.
Correct. But then how could it if it doesn't know a destination. The only view that will show terrain wo a flight plan is the SynVis view if your GDL or inboard equipment has terrain data and AHRS.

Others are right, this is too early to be depending on your tablet.

Back