The ultimate Canada vs. USA Aviation Thread

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
In this thread, I'll list some of the main differences of flying north or south of the border, mostly for entertainment purposes but also for those of us who fly across the border for the first time or move up here, as some of the differences might be important. If you have anything to add, please do so in the comments.

Tail numbers in Canada: Start with "C" and only contain letters.
Tail numbers in the US: Start with "N" and can contain letters and/or numbers.

Biannual Flight reviews in Canada: Just attend some online seminar and you're good.
Biannual Flight reviews in the US: Spend two hours with a CFI to review flying skills.

Private Pilot's License in Canada: Does not include night or VFR over the top rating (can be obtained separately though).
Private Pilot's License in the US: Includes the night and VFR over the top rating.
(Thanks to @EdFred for pointing out and correcting "on top" vs. "over the top")

Recreational Pilot Permit in Canada: It's almost like the Sports Pilot's license in the US. One passenger, piston powered aircraft (no high performance) with four or less seats, VFR only, no ratings to be added, no limitations within Canadian airspace but no flights abroad, family doctor medical (kind of like basicMed) is enough.
Recreational Pilot Permit in the US: Pretty much the same but flights only within 50 miles of departure/home airport of the pilot.

Airport operations in Canada: The pattern is called "Circuit".
Airport operations in the US: The circuit is called "Pattern".

PPL training in Canada: Spins have to be performed during training but not during the check ride.
PPL training in the US: Spins, no more.

PPL check ride in Canada: The navigation portion is pretty much IFR (I follow roads/rivers).
PPL check ride in the US: I heard students have to work with VORs? (Correct me if I'm wrong here).

Infrastructure in Canada: Sucks. Airports are far apart and service for GA airplanes more often than not sucks.
Infrastructure in the US: Paved runways every 50 miles and GA is much more welcomed.
(This is just a personal opinion and observation from my experience traveling in both countries)

Fuel in Canada: Pilots talk in gph but have to fill up their planes (and pay) in litres - confusing!
Fuel in the US: Fuel pumps show gallons - that makes sense.

Required equipment in Canada: No ADS-B (yet) needed to enter class C airports (there are no class B airports). Mode C transponder is enough.
Required equipment in the US: ADS-B out needed to enter class C or better airspace.

En route operations in Canada: Announce intentions and location on 126.7 and monitor 121.5.
En route operations in the US: Just monitor 121.5.

VFR flight following in Canada: Almost impossible to get.
VFR flight following in the US: Easy to get.

Runways in Canada: They always have two digits e.g. 01, 02, 03, etc.
Runways in the US: They have one digit if below 10 e.g. 1, 2, 3, etc.

That's all I can think of on top of my head this late at night. Again, if you have anything to add, please do :)

Last edited:
One small nit:
VFR on top is actually an IFR operation. You're both IFR and VFR, ergo you need an instrument rating (or ATP) to fly VFR on top.

VFR over the top is available to a private, non-IR pilot.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
One small nit:
VFR in top is actually an IFR operation. You're both IFR and VFR, ergo you need an instrument rating (or ATP) to fly VFR on top.

VFR over the top is available to a private, non-IR pilot.

Gotcha. Confused the terms. I'll edit it in the post above.

In this thread, I'll list some of the main differences of flying north or south of the border, mostly for entertainment purposes but also for those of us who fly across the border for the first time or move up here, as some of the differences might be important. If you have anything to add, please do so in the comments.

Tail numbers in Canada: Start with "C" and only contain letters.
Tail numbers in the US: Start with "N" and can contain letters and/or numbers.

Biannual Flight reviews in Canada: Just attend some online seminar and you're good.
Biannual Flight reviews in the US: Spend two hours with a CFI to review flying skills.

Private Pilot's License in Canada: Does not include night or VFR over the top rating (can be obtained separately though).
Private Pilot's License in the US: Includes the night and VFR over the top rating.
(Thanks to @EdFred for pointing out and correcting "on top" vs. "over the top")

Recreational Pilot Permit in Canada: It's almost like the Sports Pilot's license in the US. One passenger, piston powered aircraft (no high performance) with four or less seats, VFR only, no ratings to be added, no limitations within Canadian airspace but no flights abroad, family doctor medical (kind of like basicMed) is enough.
Recreational Pilot Permit in the US: Pretty much the same but flights only within 50 miles of departure/home airport of the pilot.

Airport operations in Canada: The pattern is called "Circuit".
Airport operations in the US: The circuit is called "Pattern".

PPL training in Canada: Spins have to be performed during training but not during the check ride.
PPL training in the US: Spins, no more.

PPL check ride in Canada: The navigation portion is pretty much IFR (I follow roads/rivers).
PPL check ride in the US: I heard students have to work with VORs? (Correct me if I'm wrong here).

Infrastructure in Canada: Sucks. Airports are far apart and service for GA airplanes more often than not sucks.
Infrastructure in the US: Paved runways every 50 miles and GA is much more welcomed.
(This is just a personal opinion and observation from my experience traveling in both countries)

Fuel in Canada: Pilots talk in gph but have to fill up their planes (and pay) in litres - confusing!
Fuel in the US: Fuel pumps show gallons - that makes sense.

Required equipment in Canada: No ADS-B (yet) needed to enter class C airports (there are no class B airports). Mode C transponder is enough.
Required equipment in the US: ADS-B out needed to enter class C or better airspace.

En route operations in Canada: Announce intentions and location on 126.7 and monitor 121.5.
En route operations in the US: Just monitor 121.5.

VFR flight following in Canada: Almost impossible to get.
VFR flight following in the US: Easy to get.

Runways in Canada: They always have two digits e.g. 01, 02, 03, etc.
Runways in the US: They have one digit if below 10 e.g. 1, 2, 3, etc.

That's all I can think of on top of my head this late at night. Again, if you have anything to add, please do :)
I think you have to file VFR Flight Plans in Canada for flights more than 25 miles from departure point.

I think it's a great list. PP checkride might be worthy of it's own list, guessing, as the procedures, expectations, etc., probably have many differences. Re VOR, I nearly took my PPL checkride in an aircraft that didn't have VOR or GPS, it was a VFR only aircraft. That would have been fine. But I took it in an aircraft that had a VOR, so I expected to have to demonstrate the use of that bit of equipment, and sure enough I had to. In the US, if it's in the aircraft, it's fair game, as far as I'm aware. Not sure what the Canadian rules are on checkride at all.

I think you have to file VFR Flight Plans in Canada for flights more than 25 miles from departure point.

Flight plan or just let a "responsible person" know (that can be your instructor, wife, mother, anyone who would inform S&R if you don't show up when expected)... No need to actually file a flight plan with NavCanada.

Last edited:
I hear in Canada some piston aircraft require a type rating. My lancair for example requires a type rating for Canadian pilots to fly in Canada

In the USA only jets require a type rating; someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The type rating is based on a weight requirement (MGTOW over 12,500) and/or turbojet powered. So, it can include turboprops and large (think old) piston powered aircraft too.

My own (sorta joking...OP you did say entertainment) addition, from flying close to the border:

CTAF in Canada requires a minimum of 5 minutes of talking per pattern leg describing your plane, your actions, and your intentions in meticulous detail (the pattern legs must be HUGE in Canada),

CTAF in USA is either NORDO, ATITAPA, or saying "Hi" to your friend.

Some things I noted other than as listed in the OP, things that are different in Canada:
  • Automatic opening and closing of VFR flight plans when flying from/to towered airports
  • A lot more class G airspace, surface up to 18,000 MSL in many places other than airways
  • Class B airspace is mostly above 12,500 MSL (or above MEA if higher than 12,500) and not around major airports; IFR and Controlled VFR (clearance required) only
  • Class D airports may have multiple rings of class E airspace
  • Clearance required to enter class C airspace
  • Mandatory frequencies at some uncontrolled airports
  • Many on-field FSS stations who do not control the airport but can give advisories of weather and traffic
  • More transponder codes to use depending on circumstances, such as 1400 when VFR above 12,500

How about clearance for takeoff that includes contact departure on 123.45 when airborne.

Oxygen rules are also different.

No such thing as a tailwheel endorsement in Canada. You just get checked out in the plane like any other.

Chris can you address atc user fees? I understand you get a bill from navcanada... how much is it, is it more depending on services (tower only vs flight following vs ifr), how often do they bill, etc.?

My experience flying in Canada consists of flying the pattern (did it become a circuit when I crossed the border?) and landing on the Canadian end of 48Y.

"Radar identified" vs "radar contact"
I think AME in Canada is an aircraft mechanic (instead of the medical examiner)

To add a few more:

"decimal" instead of "point"

When making position reports relative to the field, distance away is measured in time rather than nautical miles.

The flight service people at mandatory frequency (MF) airports aren't controllers, but you wouldn't think that based on how talkative they are on the frequency.

Clearing customs in the US: they're on you like a swat team with a Geiger counter and a thousand questions about how many terrorists are onboard your flight today.

Clearing customs in Canada: telephone call assuring the customs agent you have no guns or or ammo... "welcome to Canada!"

Private airstrips/airports in Canada: if you see a private strip on the chart, and there's not a public strip nearby: there's a good chance of you contact the owner he'll let you land there. Contributing to the mowing and maintenance fund is generally expected.

Chris can you address atc user fees? I understand you get a bill from navcanada... how much is it, is it more depending on services (tower only vs flight following vs ifr), how often do they bill, etc.?
Not Chris, but I will answer the question. Canadian registered aircraft pay an annual ATC fee. Foreign-registered aircraft will receive a bill from NavCanada for ATC services once per quarter if you takeoff or land in Canada. For light aircraft this charge is currently C$22.94, which at today's exchange rate is about US$18. You will receive a bill in the mail at the aircraft's registered address, and can pay by check or credit card. The quarters are March 1-May 31, and every three months after. Note that if you land in Canada May 31 and depart June 1, you will be charged for two quarters. This does not apply for non-commercial overflights, like sightseeing around Niagara Falls, but only if you land in Canada. There is no distinction VFR or IFR. There are some charges for ATC services at major airports in addition to the quarterly fee. These are not landing or ramp fees, and apply at Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto (L.B. Pearson), Ottawa (Macdonald-Cartier), and Montréal (Trudeau) international airports. This is currently C$13.61 per day.
You can read all about the NavCanada fees here: https://www.navcanada.ca/en/customer-guide-to-charges-sep-2020-en.pdf

Jon

I never had a tight touch to begin with.

Seriously. You have a PhD. It' L-O-S-E / L-O-S-I-N-G.
I had assumed that he got it wrong on purpose, to ensure that this thread turns into an English lesson instead of staying on topic.

Also, your joke should have been about loosing touch rather than loosening it.

When making position reports relative to the field, distance away is measured in time rather than nautical miles.
To be fair, even driving distance is measured by time. And directions are relative to the nearest Tim Hortons.

I had assumed that he got it wrong on purpose, to ensure that this thread turns into an English lesson instead of staying on topic.

Also, your joke should have been about loosing touch rather than loosening it.

No. All you gotta do is search and see that it's just the product of the OSU "education" system.

To be fair, even driving distance is measured by time. And directions are relative to the nearest Tim Hortons.
Honestly I prefer time. I don't have to estimate the speed of the aircraft and calculate it myself.

Not Chris, but I will answer the question. Canadian registered aircraft pay an annual ATC fee. Foreign-registered aircraft will receive a bill from NavCanada for ATC services once per quarter if you takeoff or land in Canada. For light aircraft this charge is currently C$22.94, which at today's exchange rate is about US$18. You will receive a bill in the mail at the aircraft's registered address, and can pay by check or credit card. The quarters are March 1-May 31, and every three months after. Note that if you land in Canada May 31 and depart June 1, you will be charged for two quarters. This does not apply for non-commercial overflights, like sightseeing around Niagara Falls, but only if you land in Canada. There is no distinction VFR or IFR. There are some charges for ATC services at major airports in addition to the quarterly fee. These are not landing or ramp fees, and apply at Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto (L.B. Pearson), Ottawa (Macdonald-Cartier), and Montréal (Trudeau) international airports. This is currently C$13.61 per day.
You can read all about the NavCanada fees here: https://www.navcanada.ca/en/customer-guide-to-charges-sep-2020-en.pdf

Jon

My experience flying in Canada consists of flying the pattern (did it become a circuit when I crossed the border?) and landing on the Canadian end of 48Y.

And to add to this, my annual fee this year came out to $96.34. As far as I know it doesn't matter what kind of airplane you own, it's always the same. But, I never owned anything other than a piston single engine airplane so I don't know for sure.

I hear in Canada some piston aircraft require a type rating. My lancair for example requires a type rating for Canadian pilots to fly in Canada

In the USA only jets require a type rating; someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Also, the definition of "high performance" and/or "complex" aircraft are somewhat different north of the border. I don't know exactly how so I don't want to post any "details" but maybe someone else knows the difference. I do know that we don't have a "complex" endorsement for sure, but insurances will require extensive training in anything other than a trainer type of airplane so they take on the role of the regulator in a way.

USA: If you file a flight plan but decide not to make the flight, the plan disappears unactivated an hour after your ETD.

Canada: if you file a flight plan but decide not to take off, they will open your flight plan anyway, assuming you took off at your ETD and will arrive at your ETA. (And when you don't, phone calls start happening...)

(Ask me how I know this, haha!)

That I didn't even know. I always give my reports in nautical miles. When I talk to ATC I just say how many miles away and when it's uncontrolled I say miles and approx. time to field.

I think AME in Canada is an aircraft mechanic (instead of the medical examiner)
Right. Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. And it's a lot more time and work to get than an A&P, but it has all the privileges and responsibilities of the A&P/IA. There are four AME classifications: M1 (non-turbojet airplanes and all helicopters below 12,566 lb MGTOW); M2 (large aircraft and turbojets); E (Avionics) and S (sheetmetal and structures). If one earns both M1 and M2 he can certify everything. No further classifications will be issued. He has it all. But he had better know what he's signing off in E or S, and the company he works for will make sure of that.

Also, the definition of "high performance" and/or "complex" aircraft are somewhat different north of the border. I don't know exactly how so I don't want to post any "details" but maybe someone else knows the difference. I do know that we don't have a "complex" endorsement for sure, but insurances will require extensive training in anything other than a trainer type of airplane so they take on the role of the regulator in a way.

There is no "complex" here really. You can go off with your PPL and fly such a plane if you wish. Whether it's a good idea to do so without some training it is your responsibilities.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-s...bles-includes-blanket-individual-type-ratings

High performance yes. The CARs specify what that means:

high-performance aeroplane, with respect to a rating, means

• (a) an aeroplane that is specified in the minimum flight crew document as requiring only one pilot and that has a maximum speed (Vne) of 250 KIAS or greater or a stall speed (Vso) of 80 KIAS or greater, or
  • (b) an amateur-built aeroplane that has a wing loading greater than that specified in section 549.103 of the Airworthiness Manual; (avion à hautes performances)

There are hardly any US Recreational pilots. But an important similarity between Canadian Recreational and US Sport - neither can fly to the other country.

That I didn't even know. I always give my reports in nautical miles. When I talk to ATC I just say how many miles away and when it's uncontrolled I say miles and approx. time to field.

Doesn't that depends? Sure you say I am X minute out from the zone for untowered places which makes sense to help people figure out if you are going to be a problem. For when you are say in an area doing airworks you say distances more.

I think the radio licensing part doesn't make it clear anyhow what the exact phraseology should be.

On that note, our radio certs are issued by Industry Canada and has this little gem in the rules:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01397.html#s4_2

I have always wonder about that and Youtubers here posting with radio audio in.

Oh that in itself is a big difference.

Canada: We need a separate radio license and have to carry it around on flights.

USA: Radio license isn’t needed, it’s already part of your PPL.

Doesn't that depends? Sure you say I am X minute out from the zone for untowered places which makes sense to help people figure out if you are going to be a problem. For when you are say in an area doing airworks you say distances more.

I think the radio licensing part doesn't make it clear anyhow what the exact phraseology should be.

On that note, our radio certs are issued by Industry Canada and has this little gem in the rules:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01397.html#s4_2

I have always wonder about that and Youtubers here posting with radio audio in.

True, I personally say time and distance at untowered fields and only distance at towered fields. I’ve heard pilots say just distance or just time at both, towered and untowered fields though.

Oh and on the radio note:

4.1 Priorities of Communications - Aeronautical Service
The order of priority for transmission of messages in the aeronautical service is:

1. Distress communications.
  2. Urgency communications.
  3. Communications relating to radio direction-finding.
  4. Flight safety messages.
  5. Meteorological messages.
  6. Flight regularity messages.
  7. Messages relating to the application of the United Nations Charter.
  8. Government messages for which priority has been expressly requested.
  9. Service communications relating to the workings of the telecommunication service or to communications previously exchanged.
  10. All other aeronautical communications.
Priority 7 always had me wondering why we have that.

Honestly I prefer time. I don't have to estimate the speed of the aircraft and calculate it myself.

Same here. I wish they did things that way in the US.

5 minutes out is the same unit of measure whether I’m in a helicopter, Cub, or a Citation while 5 miles out means we will all get to the airport at different times.

Back