[NA]Observations from the Costco gas line[NR]

OK, so this is from the Costco parking lot next to the gas line rather than in the gas line itself but...

IMG_1893.JPG

I didn't see a booster/carseat installed so it couldn't have been a harried parent.

Oh don't tell me you drag the hose across the bodywork and rest it on the paint, too. :eek:

I love to get gas at Costco and pull right up to the pump on the right, while everyone else is waiting in line for the pump on the left. Then, I jump out and pull the hose around the rear of my car and fill up with the hose resting gently against the tail light. You should see the stares I get from the people waiting in line.

Since we don't yet have the automated random necropost that @455 Bravo Uniform proposed, I thought I'd manually raise the dead. No, I'm not trying to trigger @Rgbeard .

I was at Costco this morning doing my monthly run, and the car I was in needed fuel, so I dropped into line. It took 11 minutes to get to the pump, and 87 octane E10, was $3.75, where it's $4.19 at the local Quiktrip, so yeah, I guess it was worth it.

I did see that some of the folks there were not with the program. When the guy in front of me pulled up to the pump, he had to fish around to find his wallet. Dude, you had a 10 minute wait, you could have gotten it out then. Definitely worse was the BMW in the other lane where the owner put the pump on automatic and then got back in the car. She eventually figured out the pump was done and reappeared, but not before at least one car had to go around her because the car in front of her had filled up and gone. Reminds me of the joke about what the difference is between a BMW and a cactus...

Last edited:
Great, the nanny state protecting you from yourself. Is Oregon a huge union state like NJ, where only dues-paying union members working at the station can pump gas?

NJ is among the worst of the nanny states—they even outlawed soft-cooked eggs for awhile years back—but the gas jockeys aren’t unionized here. It’s a minimum-wage high-turnover gig. I’d desperately like self serve gas here.

In the 35 years I’ve been here and forced to pay the upcharge for full serve gas, I’ve never had my windshield cleaned or oil checked. They refuse to do it!

Back