What makes grass cutting better or worse?

58 Massey-Ferguson 65 and a New Holland 68 baler.
What do you think.
I started out driving an international Super M tractor when my legs were too short to reach the pedals. It pulled an Intpernational string tie baler. Eventually we moved up to a Massey-Ferguson 165 pulling a John Deere wire tie baler. By then I was bucking the bales for Dad. After years of riding on a trailer bouncing over rough as a cob field, it's no wonder I don't get sea, nor air, sick.

I made two cents a bale bucking hay on a trailer, and four cents when I hauled custom for the neighbors.

Last edited:
I made two cents a bale bucking hay on a trailer, and four cents when I hauled custom for the neighbors.

You got paid to buck hay bales.??

When I was a teenager and asked my dad about getting paid to haul hay, he would mention that he doesn't charge me for room and board...

You got paid to buck hay bales.??

When I was a teenager and asked my dad about getting paid to haul hay, he would mention that he doesn't charge me for room and board...
Bucking hay was our summer job. We got room and board for the other work we did on the ranch.

Also, with inflation, a penny was worth at least twice what it is today 50 years ago.

I actually really like mowing, and the right machine helps a lot! Also, with the run up in plane prices, my mower is no longer more expensive than my plane (unlike two years ago, when I bought the tractor). This is my 6 acres of runway.

Attachments

• 20220616_170741.jpg
    20220616_170741.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 19
Bucking hay was our summer job. We got room and board for the other work we did on the ranch.

Also, with inflation, a penny was worth at least twice what it is today 50 years ago.

A few years ago I was offering .50 a bale to stack. No takers.

Screw 'em. So I built a grapple system and now do it all myself, from mowing to stacking in the barn. Don't have to touch a bale by hand unless it falls off a wagon.

Dad eventually went to big round bales. He put a fork on another tractor to grab the bales, and stack them on trailers, and a haystack. The only time he needed to touch the hay was when he cut the twine before feeding it to the cattle. One guy can move a lot of hay with that setup. I helped him get caught up one summer. He offered to pay me; I just said "You can't afford my rate."

I actually really like mowing, and the right machine helps a lot! Also, with the run up in plane prices, my mower is no longer more expensive than my plane (unlike two years ago, when I bought the tractor). This is my 6 acres of runway.
Beautiful runway!! I would love to have one myself. I fly around all the time dreaming about landing in someone's hay field. They were cut recently around here and they look awfully inviting to a little cessna like I fly!!
Yes the right equipment makes a big difference too...until you do it for 20 years. I think I am ready for a newer zero turn or just pay someone to do it for me? Nice runway!!!!

The two smells I like most are jet exhaust smell and heated brake pads… they remind me of my happy places (airports and race tracks)

Self quoting seems like a bit of a faux pas but I hope you’ll allow it. Today, I will get to smell both: I’m at Sonoma at the track all morning/early PM and then headed to the airport to fly the Mustang to Missouri. Sure beats going to the office!!

Back