Camguard degradation rate?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Not sure if I recall the answer to this or not and I can’t find any details online so far.

Just how quickly does CamGuard degrade after adding it during an oil change? I assume just like oil its effective properties degrade with use. If we let our oil go to the typical 50hr mark, is there any protective properties left at that point?

Is it good for x number of hours?

I wouldn't say it degrades as much as it's lost, or diluted, in use up oil.....

How can it be known how long a magic tonic lasts? If a little is good, more must be better. Add more.

Seriously though, it seems really obsessive to consider using it between oil changes.

Seriously though, it seems really obsessive to consider using it between oil changes.
As expensive as these engines have become, I’ve definitely become obsessed with doing whatever I can to promote longevity. That said, I am not considering using it between changes, I’m just curious what the ‘life span’ is on it so to speak.

I think if it were apt to degrade between oil changes, they’d market between-change make-ups to sell more. Thus, probably fine 50 hrs without further research necessary.

If you’re asking “should I freshen up the oil before I put the plane away for an extended period”: regardless of Camguard effectiveness, I wouldn’t want to let 50 hour oil with acids and other fun stuff sit on my cam, lifters, and cylinder walls, if given a choice.

Change it if you can, otherwise, let it ride.

Last edited:
I agree with Stewartb,
Aeroshell has LW 16702 antiwear additive in the oil but imo that is not the same as cam guard.
I fly so much I am probably wasting my money using cam guard but on the other hand I am flying a H2AD motor which was famous for cam and lifter failure. I put it in during a oil change and then don't use it again until next oil change. I use 4 replacement quarts during a 50 hour oil change interval. So far so good.

I would consider adding a bit between changes if I was to have to add several quarts of oil.

Think about it. If you had a 6 quart fill level and burned 1 quart per 10 hours, in 50 hours, you would have replaced 5 quarts or 83% of the oil. Not much Camguard left then.

Think about it. If you had a 6 quart fill level and burned 1 quart per 10 hours, in 50 hours, you would have replaced 5 quarts or 83% of the oil. Not much Camguard left then.
Let's fix your math up a bit.

At the 0th hour (oil change), you have a 100% dosage of Camguard.
At the 10th hour, you burned off 16% of that 100% dosage so now there's an 83% dosage.
At the 20th hour, you burned off 16% of that 83% dosage so now there's 83% * 83% = 69% dosage
At the 30th hour, you burned off 16% of that 69% dosage so now there's 83% * 69% = 58% dosage
At the 40th hour, you burned off 16% of that 58% dosage so now there's 83% * 58% = 48% dosage
At the 50th hour, you change the oil again

Anyone notice that new oil last longer than older oil?
I don't have to add oil till about 15 hrs right after a oil change. Then it is 12-13 hrs more it'll need another quart. Then it'll be another 10-11 hrs and it'll need another quart. I forgot to mention I am actually running the oil closer to 55 hrs between changes. I change it when it needs that 5th quart.
IMG_1211(1).JPG

How can it be known how long a magic tonic lasts? If a little is good, more must be better. Add more.

Sometimes, obsessive is good!

I can see the effect of the Camguard package in my turbo's valve guide wear numbers in oil analysis... I pre-additize make up oil, marking those quarts with an asterisk, at Camguard's suggestion. Wear numbers are now lower.

Paul

Let's fix your math up a bit.

At the 0th hour (oil change), you have a 100% dosage of Camguard.
At the 10th hour, you burned off 16% of that 100% dosage so now there's an 83% dosage.
At the 20th hour, you burned off 16% of that 83% dosage so now there's 83% * 83% = 69% dosage
At the 30th hour, you burned off 16% of that 69% dosage so now there's 83% * 69% = 58% dosage
At the 40th hour, you burned off 16% of that 58% dosage so now there's 83% * 58% = 48% dosage
At the 50th hour, you change the oil again

Same idea, but I was simplifying. :D

Still, at 50 hours, you have lost most of your CamGuard.

Or check the numbers if you run a quart every 3 hours. :D

The principal active anticorrosion ingredient of CamGuard is likely various triarylphosphates and similar compounds. (The exact composition is proprietary.) Triarylphosphates are generally quite thermally stable (well beyond normal operating temperatures), so it would be expected they would last the life of the oil change. When you add oil between changes, it is prudent to also add an appropriate additional amount of CamGuard to keep the anticorrosion concentration relatively constant. The correct ratio is about 50 mL (1.6 oz) per quart of oil. You don't have to be that exact.

Back