What Does the FAA Have Against the Word, “Student?”

Cogito

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cogito
A couple years ago FAA publications twisted themselves into knots trying not to use the word “student” and used the word, “learner” instead. Now it looks as if they’re using the word “customer” in CFI publications. I’m in my late 50’s and love when I get to be a student, I like to think I’m always a learner, even when instructing. Rant over.

Substituting "learner" for "student" seems to be a thing. It smacks of people just changing things purely for the sake of change. I can't imagine why they'd start using "customer" instead of "student". What if you're instructing a family member or friend, for free? Do the principles no longer apply because they're not a customer?

Learner, Customer...clearly the FAA is casting about for the proper way to convey the intended meaning.

If only there was a word to describe someone who is working to acquire knowledge and skills. A word widely accepted and understood, perhaps even already in common use?

Dang, I can't seem to come up with it...

Learner, Customer...clearly the FAA is casting about for the proper way to convey the intended meaning.

If only there was a word to describe someone who is working to acquire knowledge and skills. A word widely accepted and understood, perhaps even already in common use?

Dang, I can't seem to come up with it...

shades of Galaxy Quest:

GWEN

Well, Alex, at least you had a PART. Okay? You had a character people loved! I mean, my TV Guide interview was six paragraphs about my boobs and how they fit into my suit. No one even bothered to ask me what I DO on the show.

FRED

You had the, Wait, wait I'll think of it...

GWEN (RESIGNEDLY)

I repeated the computer, Fred.

A student pilot is a type of pilot certificate. See 14 CFR 61.5(a)(1)(i).

They did it to differentiate a person who is receiving training but holds a pilot certificate other than a student pilot certificate.

not saying it was necessary, but that’s why you see terms like “learner”.

Curious, where did you see the FAA use “customer”? Wouldn’t seem applicable to instruction was not provided without compensation from the learner.

They did it to differentiate a person who is receiving training but holds a pilot certificate other than a student pilot certificate.
If they're that concerned people misunderstanding 'student' you'd think they give some attention to pilot in command as compared to pilot flying.

Nauga,
and another FLAILEX

If they're that concerned people misunderstanding 'student' you'd think they give some attention to pilot in command as compared to pilot flying.

Nauga,
and another FLAILEX
Ha ha... don't think that it hasn't been brought up. Problem there is that both PIC definitions are bound in regulation, so fixing it requires rulemaking. That's a whole 'nother hornets nest to stir up.

Curious, where did you see the FAA use “customer”? Wouldn’t seem applicable to instruction was not provided without compensation from the learner.

Thank goodness. Normally in English, we do not have words that have multiple meanings depending on context.

Uh huh. Whaddaya wanna bet that the student pilot ticket becomes a “Learner’s Permit” next?

The plot thickens. Many years ago the FAA started calling flight instructors authorized instructors. What is the evil empire up too.

They will always be students, I really don’t care what the FAA wants to call them. Just like it will always be a BFR.

The plot thickens. Many years ago the FAA started calling flight instructors authorized instructors. What is the evil empire up too.
We'll, the FAA could just use the term used in regulation, "persons receiving instruction from an authorized instructor" but "learner" sounds a lot user to describe the same thing.

Just did my CFI refresher course and it’s all over the FAA material.

I just did my FIRC with American Flyers, and they used "student" pretty much throughout.

This is the first I'm hearing about the "customer" thing.

They also changed cockpit to flight deck, man made to manufactured, and repairman to technician to "create a more inclusive environment."

Henceforth, all my students will be referred to as "victims."
“Potential victims” has a nice ring to it and is more fair to the lucky survivors.
We'll, the FAA could just use the term used in regulation, "persons receiving instruction from an authorized instructor" but "learner" sounds a lot user to describe the same thing.
PRIFAI rolls off the tongue. We need to return to the glory days of government-by-acronym.
me/myself/I
is/eum/eius

I just did my FIRC with American Flyers, and they used "student" pretty much throughout.

This is the first I'm hearing about the "customer" thing.
I did mine with John and Martha, my plan is to use a different company for each FIRC, maybe fewer of my blind spots will be missed. You and Brad may be correct, my beef is with KingSchools, please disregard this entire thread. ~~~~~

Last edited:
I'm still offended.
Me too. The etymology of manufacture comes from making things with your hands, and that’s just not true most of the time.

I did mine with John and Martha, my plan is to use a different company for each FIRC, maybe fewer of my blind spots will be missed. You and Brad may be correct, my beef is with KingSchools, please disregard this entire thread. ~~~~~
We'll that explains it! Still a fun thread though.

Why was it necessary to differentiate? (Other than to use up unobligated funds.) Who really cares?

Cheers

Who cares?? If I have a Private Pilot certificate, and I'm taking instruction from a CFI for whatever reason, I'm still a student. The fact that I don't hold a student pilot certificate is immaterial. If I go back to college, would I not be a student there again? I know, I know... they're using that idiotic term "learner" everywhere now.

Some days I want to live forever; some days I can see the plot line to Idiocracy and am happy I'll be dead before Not Sure becomes President.

Oh, wait.

Substituting "learner" for "student" seems to be a thing. It smacks of people just changing things purely for the sake of change. I can't imagine why they'd start using "customer" instead of "student". What if you're instructing a family member or friend, for free? Do the principles no longer apply because they're not a customer?
In stores, "customers" have been replaced with "guests." :rolleyes:

If I'm a guest, where's my bed?

"I've noticed CFIs using the term "client" lately.

Back