Flying an LSA cross-country VFR. Any suggestions on my routing?

KGLD instead of KSYF for the Butterfly cafe on-field and they’ll pump the gas for you. SYF is mostly a duster base. You can walk to a diner there if you want.

Very much appreciate the suggestion! I looked up Butterfly Cafe at Renner Field and it says it's "temporarily closed" on Google Maps. Did you know if that's accurate? Have they closed down? If you know they're open, any chance you know the hours? Is it just open for breakfast or for lunch as well?

Approaching from the lee side too…better to just go around. Follow I-80. 9,500’ on a hot day is what density altitude? DA has killed more than a few flatlanders for thinking temperature doesn’t matter. I Follow Roads and lowest possible roads is a survival plan, not just easy nav through the tall hills.
Go around where? I-80 goes to Salt Lake. Are you saying just go down to SLC and then continue northwest to Boise from there?

Approaching from the lee side too…better to just go around. Follow I-80. 9,500’ on a hot day is what density altitude? DA has killed more than a few flatlanders for thinking temperature doesn’t matter. I Follow Roads and lowest possible roads is a survival plan, not just easy nav through the tall hills.
Unless I'm missing something, it seems safer to follow I-80 to the 30 then go north through the Georgetown pass to Pocatello. The Georgetown pass is in a valley that offers quite a bit lower altitude than following the I-80 into SLC. And the valley is over 3nm wide at its narrowest point.

Any idea what the radar coverage is like out there? I'm planning on picking up flight following for the second half of the journey from Cheyenne to Seattle so that just in case I have a problem I'm already in contact with someone and can provide my position.
Radar coverage is pretty good along I-80. If you’re up around 10,000 it shouldn’t be a problem. ADS-B coverage is good too. If you need food/fuel Rawlins, Evanston and Riverton are good stops in Wyoming. They all have crew cars in some form. Laramie too but if you’re stopping in Cheyenne that shouldn’t be a need. Personally I’d avoid Cheyenne but that’s just me saying it has no redeeming qualities. Note that Cheyenne has approach to talk to before calling tower.

Note that Cheyenne has approach to talk to before calling tower.

That's interesting. How come -- it's a Delta? What happens if you call Tower first? Do they snap at you and tell you to call Approach?

Very much appreciate the suggestion! I looked up Butterfly Cafe at Renner Field and it says it's "temporarily closed" on Google Maps. Did you know if that's accurate? Have they closed down? If you know they're open, any chance you know the hours? Is it just open for breakfast or for lunch as well?
I haven’t been there since pre-corona. Just call the field and ask - they are helpful to fellow pilots.

Most important part of following the Interstate is the opportunity to land on it when the unexpected occurs.

Second, they usually follow the lowest route possible. Study the charts for power lines across from one ridge or mountain to the other, and if you unexpectedly meet a big one, go under, not over. They are much more than 20 feet above the road, and you can dive better than climb in the mountains. Small power lines are the opposite, they are low, and going over requires little climb.

Remember to keep right when following roads, you are going to meet more planes than you might expect, and they are hard to see against mountain sides. If each one is flying at about 100 mph, the closing speed is 200, which is less than 20 seconds per mile closure rate. 20 seconds is just a long scan, or grabbing a drink from the water bottle.

The thread on the "Scenic emergency landing" is a perfect example. I have known several people who landed on roads and highways, and all have gone well. Plus, there will be someone to give you assistance if you need it.

All of them flew their plane again, one, the same day an hour later. All three had different reasons to land.

Others have said you should get the longest days done in the eastern portion of the trip, and I agree. Your endurance will be at its best there, and the weather the most co operative. Dawn to dark is acceptable there.

In the high country, winds and violent weather is much more common, and in the summer, density altitude can become amazing high. You will tire faster in the high country, especially since you are starting in Florida. I have used one of the cans of oxygen at 12,000 feet, and it lasted about 10 minutes, and did not do much good. Solo, it is much harder to assess hypoxia, than with a companion. My wife and I had a slightly difficult game we did every quarter hour, to asses each others mental acuity. 10.000 feet, we did fine most of the time, at 12,000, we could detect significant slowing of mental skills and awareness of the changes after 2 hours. Generally, I reduced altitude 4,000 feet to recover, as it goes away very slowly. If you go high early, your dissolved oxygen will be depleted, early, and when you reach the higher passes, you may be pushing your limits.

Be very flexible about where you are going to stop for fuel, and overnight. We flew from Maryland to Jax FL, Galveston TX, Mexico MO, and home, in 5 flying days. The first airport planned for each day was the only one actually landed at each day. Winds, weather, and fatigue changed the plan for the second and third, every day. We had no reservation for the only overnight that was in a hotel, and that stop was several hundred miles from our intended stop, deteriorating weather said stop now, just after noon. The three stops for multiple days at the named cities were the point of my trip, and the overall 2 weeks were the best flying trip ever.

A good plan is important, but flexibility in carrying it out is absolutely essential, or you will find yourself making potentially dangerous compromises.

That is a route that I would love to fly, and a 162 should do it fine with only one person and reasonable baggage. Have a great trip!

I agree with Murphy, in the mountains, GPS is not your best friend.

That's interesting. How come -- it's a Delta? What happens if you call Tower first? Do they snap at you and tell you to call Approach?
Pretty much, without the snapping part. They’ll also tell you to check gear down.

why? Dunno, it’s the state capitol and has a minor (joke) Air Force base next door. Maybe they just want to seem impotent?

Last edited:
Any idea what the radar coverage is like out there? I'm planning on picking up flight following for the second half of the journey from Cheyenne to Seattle so that just in case I have a problem I'm already in contact with someone and can provide my position.

As was already mentioned, radar coverage seems decent and ADS-B should help too. I would however mention that there are areas of the Midwest and west where radar coverage can be quite spotty long before you reach the mountains, so don’t be surprised if you get dropped or get told that radar contact is lost a time or two along the way.

Many Deltas that are on their own (not near a bigger airport) have approach control. Calling approach prior to tower isn’t necessary but I suppose there are some towers that might get irritable if you don’t. I never bother with approach in the Cub or helicopter.

I agree with Murphy, in the mountains, GPS is not your best friend.
I would say that the magenta line is not your best friend in the mountains, but the GPS and its moving-map display very much are, from the point of view of knowing where you are relative to those mountains. And in a 162, the GPS is the only electronic navigation equipment you have.

Looks OK to me. I would probably fly KCYS KRWL KRKS KBYI KBOI though. Have fun! PM me and I'll buy you a beer in Boise...

2022 7-1 09-05 F S43 Cessna Skycatcher C16200010 N166JA   IMG_6059.jpg

Duane Cole flew VFR all across the nation in his Taylorcraft and wrote an excellent book on it - Happy Flying,Safely. Keep close to highways. There is that well known lower way to get across the Rockies in Wyoming, I80 is good advice. In the 5th Day Seattle leg, I wouldn't do what you have. Lines on a map will get you into trouble. Follow the freeways and go through the passes. Go north after KPDT, after you clear the mountains in Oregon, to Vantage and I90, ELN, BANDERA, FALLS CITY- follow I90 over the pass. Hanford is not an issue to go over. Do NOT go direct over the mountains. Your time line needs a couple of slack days to account for weather, heat and headwinds. You shouldn't end your day in the mountains with daily heating and weather. Get over them in the earliest possible part of the day. We haven't mentioned forest fire smoke, but that can really impact VFR flying and also pop TFRs along your route.

Snoqualmine Pass has a couple of old DC-3 emergency airports on both sides of the Cascades. Use flight following. Bring a power pack to power up your cell phone and keep it on in flight. We are using cell tower pings to find planes all the time. Seattle can have low clouds that come up against the west side of the Cascades at any time. I know of a couple fatalities where people ran into trouble with weather and mountain peaks on a summer day. Today we had clear morning VFR that clouded up in the afternoon to lower ceilings. Do not cross desserts and such without a highway nearby. Be careful of taking advice from people who are IFR rated or don't fly light wing loaded airplanes - They take higher risks. I was crossing a ridge line out of the Columbia Gorge once and got a severe down draft that exceeded my climb rate. I did a 180 and found a pass that allowed me to go through. That's what a LSA type plane can encounter. If you haven't done mountain flying, you should be very, very cautious. I love the C162 and it's too bad it didn't work in the market and Cessna abandoned it. Don't get cocky. I'm worried about your planning and mountain flying experience in late July and early August. If you just kick the tires and light the fire, you're dead, to be blunt.

If you don't know this fellow for flight planning in the Pacific Northwest, it would be good to get acquainted - start watching the daily updates now and get a feel for the PacNW weather patterns over the mountains: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSxR0IZEq1WhTJqAnQGyk4g/videos

Last edited:
Be sure to give a write up on the trip . It will be greatly appreciated.

Back