the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

The Starship is cooler, in my humble opinion. The P180 doesn't have the swept wing, the Starship is just a thing of beauty.
When I first saw one I thought it was just weird. It was just a picture, but. My beholdening of beauty has since changed.

corollary: if you ordered a replacement for a lost <whatever>, then you find the lost item. (just happened to me)

(but, you can't order the item hoping to find it... you can't invoke the corollary to achieve the desired result)
The other rule... no matter how many years some piece of junk sits around gathering dust because you have no use for it whatsoever... when you finally do throw it away, as the garbage truck rolls down the street after picking up your trash cans you'll need one. Desperately. And you'll have to go buy another one. Actually you'll find out you can only buy them in 2, 4, or 10 packs, and the cycle repeats.

so I kinda feel like flying but also it's kinda hot and kinda thunderstormy but I kinda don't wanna let that stop me but it's also kinda gonna thunderstorm for the next week after it's been kinda thunderstormy for the previous week.....I kinda don't know what to do.

so I kinda feel like flying but also it's kinda hot and kinda thunderstormy but I kinda don't wanna let that stop me but it's also kinda gonna thunderstorm for the next week after it's been kinda thunderstormy for the previous week.....I kinda don't know what to do.
Stick your arms straight out and walk around making airplane noises.

I live here in the high desert. The closest lake that will hold a boat bigger than a rowboat is Elephant Butte, near the town of Truth Or Consequences on the Rio Grande. Even the river that runs through Gallup only has water at times during monsoon season.

Yet today, while getting some things done in the backyard, I hear a radial engine overhead. I look and look, then finally see it. A plane that appears to be an amphibious Beaver overhead at about 10,000msl, fighting what must have been a pretty fair headwind.

It took a good 15 minutes from the time I first heard it to finally not hearing it. And we almost got a rain shower today.

I live such an exciting life...

What happened to the 61 yo guy who's 42 year old wife wanted a baby thread? Was that a troll? I had typed up an EPIC response (which I seem to do with trolls) and poof . . . Gone.

Reactions: Feh
What happened to the 61 yo guy who's 42 year old wife wanted a baby thread? Was that a troll? I had typed up an EPIC response (which I seem to do with trolls) and poof . . . Gone.
Did ya save it? Let's hear it. Last I saw it there were 2 replies. I said "Get vasectomy. Buy plane. Take it from there." Someone else congratulated him his wife's pregnancy and new baby. Even if you didn't save it, start over now.

Project creep:
Two push rod shroud tubes are leaking..not a lot but I wanted to replace the seals. They're cheap and I hate leaks.
Order new seals and hardware for the retainer clips.
Hmm, may as well paint the tubes and the valve covers while I'm at it. That'll be nice.
Two tubes have dents in them and one is shaped sort of like a banana.
Order three new shroud tubes.
Had to take the rockers out to remove the shroud tubes. Hmm, these rocker pins look a little scored.
Order 4 new rocker pins.
Attempt to install new rocker pins...at least three rocker pin bushings have gouges and one is cracked.
Order 16 new bushings.
Now have to figure out how to get the old ones out and the new ones in.

The engine was overhauled ~650 hours ago, two owners before me. I've put 350 on it and this and other things that I've found over the years makes me wonder who overhauled the engine.

I haven't flown since March 31st. Just kind of down right now.

I got an email from a credit card I have but don't ever use saying they need me to click on this link to update information. Yeah, right.

So I call them on their number on the card. After listening to which number to choose for the option I want, I just say ''representative". I hear the usual noise that I recognize when a call is sent overseas. A nice lady answers with the distinctive accent that sounds alot like my wife. I tell her what I am calling about and she goes through the usual security questions, then proceeds to listen to my story. As she is checking my account, I hear the distinctive sounds of a very common bird in the Philippines. It is a Randang. Also very common in the US, but here we usually call it a rooster. Yes, I am checking on security with a very large credit card company and hear a rooster in the back ground....

Oh, the email was legit.

And I cancelled the account...... online.

But I did not cancel because of the rooster, because I haven't used that card in years.

I’m procrastinating on my MedXPress application… I could do it now, but then again I could also do it tomorrow.

A wise person once told me: “if you wait for the last minute, it only takes a minute”

I’m procrastinating on my MedXPress application… I could do it now, but then again I could also do it tomorrow.

A wise person once told me: “if you wait for the last minute, it only takes a minute”

the quote I put in my high school yearbook was: "if it weren't for the last minute, a lot of stuff wouldn't get done"

(I filled out the form the night before it was due)

As she is checking my account, I hear the distinctive sounds of a very common bird in the Philippines. It is a Randang. Also very common in the US, but here we usually call it a rooster.
So you're saying...

you talked to a girl in the Phillippines...

who had a cock?

So you're saying...

who had a cock?
You braver than me. I started out three or four times to say sumpin like that. But I [drum roll please] chickened out every time and just couldn’t push the button.

So you're saying...

who had a cock?

well done, well done.

bbc0c2daae0257449e8e184778b11944adeeb2d1.gif

I got a flight booked today. Gotta get up North for a doctor appointment day after tomorrow. All this flight cancellations stuff has got me all worried so I booked a day early just in case. Now I am getting worried about if it turns out that if todays flight is a go, and tomorrow’s also turns out to go, then I will have wasted a day.

Should have positioned today from KGSP to new york.
At 6am got a new booking from our company. First flight was cancelled.
Pickup at the hotel at 11am, at 1015am got a notification that the flight was cancelled due to weather. Looked at the radar, nothing to see between Florida and Toronto.

I have learned weather problems gets US airlines off the hook for compensation, hotels or food, when a flight cancels. Shocking how much bad weather is out there!

This popped up on Facebook this morning. At first I thought it was a joke, but no, apparently somebody had a 25 year old Pontiac with 9600 miles on it. Is that worth $15,000?

Screenshot_20220713-122737_Facebook.jpg

I have learned weather problems gets US airlines off the hook for compensation, hotels or food, when a flight cancels. Shocking how much bad weather is out there!
Last fall I sat on a taxiway in Orlando on a commercial flight for quite some time. Weather was broken 4000 and I kept telling the Mrs that we would have been outa there by now. Rumor was we were within minutes of the crew timing out when we took off. That could have been marketing.

Replaced my decaying fascia with cedar, figuring a day or two. That took about 4 days all in. Swapped two exterior lights, figuring 15 minutes each. Corroded screws lead to the screw extractor and tap and die set (used once and never respectively). Couple hours later, the lights light and this not very handy person is feeling pretty good. Painting is next.
B2F8EB26-A11D-49AF-9277-EE9467E6132F.jpeg

I'm picking up my plane from the avionics shop today! Replaced my old KX170 with a GNC 355 and replacing my old clock with a AV20s. Super excited!
Are you hooking up an OAT probe to the AV20S?

TIL there's something called a 'taxilane'. never heard that before and probably won't ever use the word, but it exists.

Radio call this afternoon…

“Cessna xxxxx, taxiing for runway 14”
(We have a 30 and a 12…)
“Or maybe 12”

Me, on final: “Yeah, you’ll have better luck with that one.”

Cessna xxxxx: “Smooth takeoffs are always better.”

Me: “Wooho! First non-emergency landing this month.”

TIL there's something called a 'taxilane'. never heard that before and probably won't ever use the word, but it exists.

Back in the day (10+ years ago) when I spent a lot of time driving a vehicle around MIA airside, a "taxiway" perpendicular to a runway was called a "Taxilane". Hardly anyone used this nomenclature, and I don't know if the term "taxilane" is still used there.

The AV20S only needs pitot/static for AI and AOA. If there was an OAT probe on it, it would show TAS, DALT and (obviously) OAT. However, looks like you already have it on your G5 so no need to drill another hole in the fuselage anyway.

before this install I didn’t have it. They added the probe when they did the GNC355 and AV20s. But yes, it’s all on the G5s now. They added the GAD13 and Davtron probe. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
I’ve been waiting for Oshkosh to start in order to order my Power Flow exhaust system. Today by happenstance I looked at their website and noticed that the sale had started today instead of coinciding with the Osh date. So…. I ordered my system. In order to get the full $300 show discount, 31 more people have to order a system. I don’t doubt they will but being the first to order one puts me at the top of the list for delivery.

if you look at their site, there is a countdown timer for the sale to end. As of right now, there is one order. That one is mine :)

So I opted for the regular discount of “I’ll take the latest delivery date” for $200 plus a potential show discount of $300. This gives me a delivery date of the end of November. IF and this is a big IF, they aren’t backed up and I’m the first one on the list, I could get delivery much sooner.

Last edited:
Back