Scenic forced landing

The engine was still running wondering if it just wasn't making power.

Not bad for 100 hrs total time. Wish the news reports gave more details.
Anyone know where on US19 this is? (I know 1 article implies near Lake Fontana). That highway can be busy. Amazed he was able to take off from same roadway, later. Would also love to know what mechanic did...

If he's from FL-this was a long flight for a newish pilot.

He stopped near where the power lines cross the road. Fortunately he got it on the ground where he did.

It says he has about 100 hours of flying time. We don't know if it was the same hour 99 times or 99 different hours, but that 100th hour sure wasn't the same one again. He is very fortunate to make the road without making the power lines, and very calm to put it down on a curve and bring it to a stop without over-correcting or panicking anywhere along the way.

Great find on FB! Is it my imagination or did he not have a lot of clearance over the wires on takeoff? This story needs more detail. Especially with the trucking in and out. Why not an airport instead of the highway for takeoff? And an Aero Commander 100...who has seen one of those lately?

Video is better quality without the background music. Like the squealing tires. That was fancy footwork.

Not bad for 100 hrs total time. Wish the news reports gave more details.
Anyone know where on US19 this is? (I know 1 article implies near Lake Fontana). That highway can be busy. Amazed he was able to take off from same roadway, later. Would also love to know what mechanic did...

If he's from FL-this was a long flight for a newish pilot.

Think it was 74 right before it turns into 19. Swain is not a county I’d like to make a forced landing in. Mountains or water with very little open fields / flat areas.

Think it was 74 right before it turns into 19. Swain is not a county I’d like to make a forced landing in. Mountains or water with very little open fields / flat areas.
What's the nearest airport?

Amazing job on that corner

Brought a gas can?
;)

Even the 4-5 lane Highways often have significant gradients and tight curves.

What's the nearest airport?
There's a private paved strip in Bryson City, about 5NM away. Sossamon, 57NC. Macon County (1A5) Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 8.03.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 8.04.20 PM.png in Franklin is about 10 nm.

I’ve ridden my motorcycle through that stress hundreds of times. Interesting place to land an airplane. Nice job!

Gryder thinks it’s a publicity stunt. :eek:

Gryder thinks it's a publicity stunt.
A narcissistic personality disorder has a defense mechanism called projection where if you have some internal fault you deal with it by projecting it on someone else.[/QUOTE]

..... And an Aero Commander 100...who has seen one of those lately?.....

That tail had me scratching my head for sure...don't think I've ever even heard of that model...and I've been lookin' at planes a long time!

That just might be the plane that gets @eman1200 to go high

IdealisticScratchyGuillemot-max-1mb.gif

Dodging cars on a highway would be a very elaborate stunt. Not impossible, but improbable unless you don't care who you endanger. And I'm starting to worry about Gryder. Not so much the dude himself, but because he is making the public think a large swath of pilots are screwballs.

Dodging cars on a highway would be a very elaborate stunt. Not impossible, but improbable unless you don't care who you endanger. And I'm starting to worry about Gryder. Not so much the dude himself, but because he is making the public think a large swath of pilots are screwballs.

Gryder is getting more bizarre by the day. He’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Gryder is getting more bizarre by the day. He’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.
For real. This last video has him essentially daring YouTube to eject him for playing the '3 day' game as a matter of practice. And yes, his presentations are significantly more squirrelly than even a few months ago.

Have to admit, I'm skeptical these days anytime I see a GoPro video of an "event". I know people like to video themselves a lot these days, but to happen to have one running on what should have been an uneventful flight and happen to capture some like this? Especially when the engine was still running and had an unknown loss of power, and was able to fly right back out? And I sure wouldn't be sharing that video anytime soon.

Just smells off to me too...

Well, Gryder says he got the feds involved. Conclusions coming soon.

Have to admit, I'm skeptical these days anytime I see a GoPro video of an "event". I know people like to video themselves a lot these days, but to happen to have one running on what should have been an uneventful flight and happen to capture some like this? Especially when the engine was still running and had an unknown loss of power, and was able to fly right back out? And I sure wouldn't be sharing that video anytime soon.

Just smells off to me too...

Ok, something does sound fishy now. I didn’t know he took back off. I thought they loaded it on a truck and drove to the airport.

I now see he knocked a post taxing out for take off as well. So he took off, with a known engine issue and damage to the right wing tip???

This could be quite the hoax. The plane was carted it out on a truck, supposedly kept a few days with mechanical work being done, then carted back on the truck to takeoff on the same stretch of road or similar. Why the hell not take it to an airport? And if it was truly a hoax, why is he landing on a public highway with cars coming and going. Maybe he had flagmen north and south of the intended landing point directing traffic except for his companions in crime. Sounds fanciful, but truth can be stranger than fiction.

I hate to admit to watching a gryder video... but he makes a compelling case for running out of gas. The guy even did an interview where he as much as says it, although he didn't seem to comprehend it himself. Sounds like he had the fuel selector on "both" and one tank had a slightly clogged vent. When the free tank ran dry the other one couldn't supply enough fuel to run much more than idle power.

I think the guy took offense at being exposed, so he went after gryder, and grayder's response is to be even more bombastic.

To add fuel to the fire (no pun intended), check out this video with a longer duration, plus spectral analysis of the engine sound:

Edit: dead link?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if he did these days. I think he’s off the reservation.

Maybe he has a tumor? Not completely joking. Along the lines of the plot of one of Ed Beach's novels. Captain of the sub went screwy and they had to lock him in quarters or something until they got back to Pearl Harbor.

Back