Fibbed to ATC. Got Caught. Was given number to call

It doesn't have to be a PD for Air Traffic to kick something over to FSDO. if AT has a concern about a pilot, sometimes that phone call can get things squared away. If not, or the pilot never calls, it likely will not just go away. File a NASA report regardless.

It doesn't have to be a PD for Air Traffic to kick something over to FSDO. if AT has a concern about a pilot, sometimes that phone call can get things squared away. If not, or the pilot never calls, it likely will not just go away. File a NASA report regardless.
Never a reason to not file a NASA report as SOP, even in situations where it probably won't help.

Yup. Many moons ago we had a guy we thought was drunk. We called GADO on him. Yeah, it was that many moons ago. FSDO used to be called GADO for anyone wondering. Turned out he just had a speech impediment.

...confusing directive (my opinion) by the tower (who are great people BTW)...
I nearly did the same thing. I was a freshly minted private pilot and cleared to land. Was on ~half mile final when the tower instructed me to do a 360 b/c there was landing traffic on a crossing runway. I was already flustered as the wind was at my personal maximum. When I rolled out I was setup for a runway aligned ~20 degrees off from my cleared runway. Seconds before I touched down, tower noticed what I did and cleared me to land thereby avoiding the deviation. I figured they handled it the way they did b/c they knew the plane I was flying was almost exclusively students and they felt partially responsible for throwing me a curve ball.

Last edited:
Years ago, I listened to the flustered controller at KCRE tell a pilot to call him after the pilot had been making touch and goes without talking to tower..the pilot just said " I don't have your nummbaahh ! ".

Almost wet myself from laughing :)

Years ago, I listened to the flustered controller at KCRE tell a pilot to call him after the pilot had been making touch and goes without talking to tower..the pilot just said " I don't have your nummbaahh ! ".

Almost wet myself from laughing :)
Do you know how long the Tower had been there? Maybe it had recently opened. I met one of the Controllers who opened Santa Barbara Tower in about 1964 I think it was. He said it was an adventure for awhile. Lotsa planes didn't have radios and a lot of pilots just plain didn't want it there. So he tells the story of the, we'll just call it a Cub, don't remember exactly. So this guy fires up the Cub and taxi's on every taxiway and runway. Then he taxi's to the base of the Tower. There's a squawk box there. Ya don't dial and ring. Just push the button and talk and it's hot to a speaker in the tower. He pushes the button and says "you guys are going to have to learn how we do things around here."

I was taught to say "negative ATIS" on the initial callup if I wasn't able to get it. Only once in the past thirty years has a tower controller told me to remain clear of his airspace until I had it.

From a flight a number of years ago, where I had checked NOTAMS for a field I thought I was going to use for a gas stop going up but then picked a different field, then en route on the way home two days later I diverted in the air to said field:
"Confirm you have the weather and NOTAMS"
"Cherokee 123 has weather and NOTAMS" (I had the weather and THOUGHT I had the current NOTAMS)
"Runway 2/20 closed. State intentions" (the only runway, of course)
<gulp>
"Stand by"
"Cherokee 123 requests reroute to..."
A little smugness in the controller's voice afterwards but, luckily, no phone number.

I do a better job of checking NOTAMS now, including calling FSS for NOTAMS if I change destinations in the air.
My best overlooked-NOTAM story relates to a time when I filed a VFR flight plan to a planned fuel stop in Death Valley. When I was about halfway there, Flight Watch called me in the blind to notify me that the runway was closed! That Flight Watch guy really earned his pay that day! It's a good thing that I happened to be monitoring the frequency.

So he refuses to call the tower which is accurate that he doesn’t have to, but then post online about the whole situation. I call BS post.
I don't see any contradiction between not calling and posting anonymously about it. He didn't even say what location it was.

I’m surprised none of the amateur sleuths here haven’t run a search to see what airports have a runway 3R and then checked notams for closures.

He should have just said he didn't have the ATIS.

California to Texas flight all good ... enroute, Tuscon gets a TFR near it for a fire. ATC asks if I'm aware and I indicate it wasn't there at take off leaving California, but I appreciate the info (pre-Foreflight).

Had a Texas to Glendale flight that they closed the runway enroute, but controller indicated it was temporary, slow down a bit and it should open at arrival (they informed me while I was just leaving New Mexico) ...

Controllers are AWESOME if you let them help and are honest upfront ...

I’m surprised none of the amateur sleuths here haven’t run a search to see what airports have a runway 3R and then checked notams for closures.

Only a pro would do it, but pros knows it might be wasted time on a troll.

When the OP posts once and the thread goes three pages, it's a reasonable assumption someone is laughing in their parents basement :)

whats sad is it might actually be the parent and the kid is shaking his head in disbelief.

I would call. If for no other reason, how do you know they want to speak to you about the ATIS lie and not something else you may have done, like landing on 3L? Also, you may want to know what to put in your ASRS report. Unfortunately lying isn't covered as the first condition of amnesty is: "The violation was inadvertent and not deliberate"...

Doesn't GP pick it up from the NOTAMS? If so, it should be on GP as soon as it's in a briefing.

Might not have made it, or be in the system period. Example: Disabled airplane on runway, immediately throw it up on ATIS. May not have even issued a NOTAM yet, or at all.

I would call. If for no other reason, how do you know they want to speak to you about the ATIS lie and not something else you may have done, like landing on 3L? Also, you may want to know what to put in your ASRS report. Unfortunately lying isn't covered as the first condition of amnesty is: "The violation was inadvertent and not deliberate"...
Violated what regulation?

Yes, as @asicer said, I'm sure the FAA would have no trouble violating the OP for a 91.13 violation...
I doubt they could prove that he endangered the life or property of another, unless he actually went ahead and landed on the closed runway.

I considered failure to get all available information, but that's under the heading of "Preflight Action."

Maybe 18 USC 1001?

I doubt they could prove that he endangered the life or property of another, unless he actually went ahead and landed on the closed runway.

LOL! They don't have to PROVE anything, this isn't a trial by jury. They just have to convince an FAA attorney and "judge" that he was reckless in lying to ATC that he had the current ATIS. This really isn't much of a stretch considering other cases where pilots have been popped for a 91.13 violation. Moral of the story, don't poke the bear...

Edit: And yeah, I'm sure the FBI could make a case out of 18 USC 1001...

I don't see any contradiction between not calling and posting anonymously about it. He didn't even say what location it was.

You know, you can believe the post as reality, if it is I call him a ######.

Lighten up everyone. I'm quite sure he isn't the first pilot to do this.

The biggest lies in aviation -
  • We're from the FAA and we're here to help
  • You're the only crew member available
  • Field is in sight
  • We have the ATIS

don't forget:

say again, you were blocked

say again, I was on the landline

IMO, this is a conglomerate of some of the most silly, anal retentive responses I have ever seen.

I dare to say nobody here is perfect on NOTAMS.
The rule is being familiar, not memorizing.
I was familiar the other night while reviewing NOTAMS, but determined as a non issue seeing as though many suitable runways were open.

I missed it on the ATIS.
You guys are a trip.

IMO, this is a conglomerate of some of the most silly, anal retentive responses I have ever seen.

I dare to say nobody here is perfect on NOTAMS.
The rule is being familiar, not memorizing.
I was familiar the other night while reviewing NOTAMS, but determined as a non issue seeing as though many suitable runways were open.

I missed it on the ATIS.
You guys are a trip.
I don’t know if anyone is taking the position you’re ridiculing. Certainly not most posters.

I don’t know if anyone is taking the position you’re ridiculing. Certainly not most posters.
I just don’t see the big deal about what happened.
It’s not like he busted class B than argued he didn’t.

I just don’t see the big deal about what happened.
It’s not like he busted class B than argued he didn’t.
The event that triggered the “here’s a number to call”? Agree - not a big deal.

Not calling the number? Sorry - “allowed” or not, that seems like a big deal. Maybe not legally but, on the responsibility-for-one’s-actions front, I’d say it’s a big deal. Just me…

18 years ago I went up for an acro practice session over Clearwater beach. Things like Foreflight were science fiction then. No, I did not call 1-800-WX-BRIEF for a 20 minute local flight on a CAVU day. On my way back from the beach, I got up close and personal with an F-18, who supervised my landing. Dick Cheney was speaking nearby.

After I landed, I called the local FAA office and identified myself as the idiot in the yellow airplane. They thanked me for calling and said, "you'll either hear from us, or you won't." I never did.

Climb - Communicate - Confess - Comply

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back