Where is everyone?

And then will come unleaded with its additional cost

Luckily all fuels are declining right now, how long will it take to get to the retail level? I don't know? Little at a time is my guess. Will it stay down is the bigger question in my mind.
I was spending a 1000 a month on 100LL when it was around 5 a gallon. I will be forced to cut back my flying as I was spending more than I wanted at 5 a gallon.
Starting next month I will still go to the airport after work 5-7 days a week, but 4 days a week I am going to the community college that owns the airport from 5-8 or so for a AP certificate. I will still be spending money to go to school but I won't be putting so many hours on the plane for a while. Hope turns out to be the right decision going to school.

Hangars seem to be turning into subsidized storage. Locals just aren't flying, part of it's heat, but I'm sure part of it is cost. The flight schools, mostly pilot training academies, seem to be staying pretty busy though.

Pilot proficiency is probably going to take a big hit.

If you're an owner doing pattern work or something I can see Avgas not denting your budget too much. You can fly for an hour, and you only pay an extra 20$. But if you're doing XC (pretty much the only thing I do) then the cost of Avgas combined with literally everything else is making it pretty expensive to fly. Especially if purely for recreation (rental car + hotels: 2 areas with some of the worst price spikes).

For instance, this past weekend was the first time since buying my plane that I haven't flown to a family event. It wasn't just the $8 avgas, it was the fact that the cheapest rental car I could get within a reasonable distance of the FBO was 400$ for 3 days (and that was for a damn ford fiesta!!!). Same time last year it was 40$/day. So avgas + rental car + increased hangar fee, and it's a better deal to just drive unless I want to have a 1250$ weekend in travel expenses alone.

Apparently others did the same math. When I was leaving town I drove past the KAZO FBO and I saw the same thing as when I was there last time 2 weeks ago... only 2 planes on the ramp, none in the back by their big hangar. A sad sight. Normally there would be at least 5x that.

And I get the perspective of the other folks saying "100-250$ here or there is nothing compared to a big avionics upgrade or overhaul", but the reality for most people is that these nice recreational flights are completely optional. It's discretionary spending at its finest. Skipping the flights are an easy way to pocket an extra 100-250$ here and there which can help make room to balance the rest of your budget.

Gas prices are definitely slowing down GA. I hopped down to NJ to see some family last weekend. Mostly empty skies, only one other plane sharing the Hudson route with me. Landed at Lincoln Park because FF advertised $6.50 or thereabouts; ended up melting my debit card at the pump at $8.60/gal for 100LL. Ouch.
Getting up-to-date info on gas prices has definitely been a problem.

Getting up-to-date info on gas prices has definitely been a problem.

They make this this called a telephone that many people are now afraid to use.

When I was on the weekend from hell trip, I called all the places I thought I would stop on the way down. Some of them had the price they had listed on airnav, some were not and one had just changed by $2.75 that morning. Did the same thing on the way back. Scary, I know.

They make this this called a telephone that many people are now afraid to use.

When I was on the weekend from hell trip, I called all the places I thought I would stop on the way down. Some of them had the price they had listed on airnav, some were not and one had just changed by $2.75 that morning. Did the same thing on the way back. Scary, I know.

Not afraid to use the phone by any means. But when FF, AirNav, etc were all advertising similar prices(within $0.20) that make sense for a small nontowered field in these times, I didn’t feel the need to touch the bench with the “wet paint” sign on it. A 50¢ jump wouldn’t have surprised me too much, but a $2.10 jump stung.

Flew my daughter to Oceano L52 for lunch on Saturday (Old Juan's Cantina). Ended up grounded Monday. The first rental had a fuel leak, the second rental had plug issues. Wasn't meant to be.

I stole a "back of the napkin aviation accounting" technique from a friend.

Hour 1 costs X (for me, about $20,000) -- this is the annual, the hangar, the GPS subby, the ipad and training and insurance and other fixed costs. They happen regardless and do not scale easily with hours.

After that, for the most part, all flying is done for the cost of fuel.

When you already have the sunk cost (which most of us do), the difference between $6 and $8 avgas is sort of just noise. It still hurts. I'm not at all impressed with my 4-figure top-offs, but, well, it helps keep perspective while you warm your empty wallet over the glow of the cash bonfire aviation represents.

Been flying a Tecnam rental while my plane is in annual. Tecnam burns Mogas so 100LL price is irrelevant but the FBO added a $1.50/hour gas surcharge which is quite reasonable to me until we get back to ‘Normal’ auto gas prices (if ever).

I’m flying just as much as I would in my own plane, 5-10 hours a month, since its something I enjoy more than other uses for my fun money. Traffic around the area seems to be similar to earlier in the year. The two flyins at local airports so far this year were about the same if not slightly fewer planes.

Cheers

Not afraid to use the phone by any means. But when FF, AirNav, etc were all advertising similar prices(within $0.20) that make sense for a small nontowered field in these times, I didn’t feel the need to touch the bench with the “wet paint” sign on it. A 50¢ jump wouldn’t have surprised me too much, but a $2.10 jump stung.
It's the new normal. (Damn I hate that phrase). But get used to it. Each FBO is different, but many change their prices after they are presented with the bill for the latest delivery. If they are low volume and don't get deliveries often, that might meant they raise prices every 6 months or so. These days that can mean they are paying several dollars per gallon more than they did last time.

But rather than call, I always email them. That way IF I get a response, I have something to show them when they say "you must have misunderstood". If I don't get a response, I will try to call prior to takeoff, but if I don't have time, then I know that I can expect huge increases over the last reported price.

The “Fuel Club” at Phoenix Goodyear just lowered their price from $6.79 to 6.39. I applaud their action.

one pays the FBO $20/mo to be a member.

It saves you from the non-Club price of $7.49.

I'm curios
Been flying a Tecnam rental while my plane is in annual. Tecnam burns Mogas so 100LL price is irrelevant but the FBO added a $1.50/hour gas surcharge which is quite reasonable to me until we get back to ‘Normal’ auto gas prices (if ever).

I’m flying just as much as I would in my own plane, 5-10 hours a month, since its something I enjoy more than other uses for my fun money. Traffic around the area seems to be similar to earlier in the year. The two flyins at local airports so far this year were about the same if not slightly fewer planes.

Cheers

There's no such thing as normal gasoline prices. just a series of actions by the exporting countries, and the occasional unexpected event that plunges demand.

All I can say I am happy I sold the gas guzzling planes when plane prices went high.... I am also happy I own a J-3 Cub :)
Sure is nice cruising around on 4 gallons per hour.
Unless you are trying to get somewhere then the amount of fuel burned is pretty much the same as any other two seater

We took our boat out on Lake Michigan for the first time this season on 7/4.

12u Travel Softball was our culprit . . .

We/I was dreading this maiden voyage as the 4th is CRAZY - boat ramp is nuts, getting in/out of the marina is insane and then a lot of novice and intoxicated boaters.

But it is our only non-softball weekend until the end of July.

The ramp was busy, not crazy, and there was no parking because . . . So many boats (especially bigger boats) were still shrink wrapped sitting on blocks in the parking lot.

We passed 6 other boats on the water when it is usually a parade. When we pulled out around 730 PM, on a gorgeous night with flat water (perfect boating for southern Lake Michigan) there were 3 other trailers parked in the lot.

My kids even asked "where is everyone?"

Soooooo . . . It was different.

The ramp was busy, not crazy, and there was no parking because . . . So many boats (especially bigger boats) were still shrink wrapped sitting on blocks in the parking lot.

Were these new boats that havent been sold, or owned boats that owners havent taken out of winter storage yet?

Majority were owned. Maybe for sale (no signs on them) but not new inventory.

Skipper Bud's at Northpoint

They have boats for sale in the water. I just expected the ramp and marina to be busier.

Back