Upside-Down Letters

Can you order a vanity N number? ( I hope not... LOL)
There are some out there for sure.

N1KE is the first one that comes to mind.

Playboy has 950PB

I now know way more than any pilot should about this subject. I wonder how much whiskey it's going to take to forget it.

Which way should they be slanted?
Depends on if you're right- or left-handed.
If I ever repaint my 43 y/o plane, I'm thinking tiny numbers on the tail fin.

There are some out there for sure.

N1KE is the first one that comes to mind.
Aviation author Peter Lert originally had that N-Number on his sailplane (it stored in a covered trailer that was vaguely rocket-shaped). It's unknown what deal he made to give the N-number to Nike, but Peter says he's never had to buy shoes since....

Ron Wanttaja

Sure - as long as you can squeeze it into the proper format...
U.S. registration numbers may not exceed five characters in addition to the standard U.S. registration prefix letter N. These characters may be:
  • One to five numbers (N12345)
  • One to four numbers followed by one letter (N1234Z)
  • One to three numbers followed by two letters (N123AZ)

To avoid confusion with the numbers one and zero, the letters I and O are not to be used.
You also can't have 0 as the initial number. A friend tried to get n0pe and found that wasn't possible.

-Ron N1RN (my amateur call sign, but its on some glider kicking around).

That's how I (and most other people in my previous profession) hand write W's. (Architectural / mechanical drawing background). Though the vertex in the middle isn't as high as the "legs."

I never saw straight vertical W's like that in my years of drafting.
Not as sure about the hand drawn non ansi-standard architectural stuff, but mostly that stuff is more artistically flourished...or just all lean-y/crooked
regardless.... I guess an upside down M works for a W...but I'm with you lowflynjack!

Depends on whether you want them to be upright when you are in climb, or descent.
Taildraggers with N numbers slanted backwards require a bit of head tilting to read when they're sitting on the ramp.

Back in the day, Occidental Petroluem's 727 was registered as N10XY.

Did the owner also own N6969? (N69 is an FAA flight check bird)
Not sure. He was a local doctor. Also had a twin painted same scheme as the bonanza. Black/ white with gold trim….? ;-)

Back