JPI Edm 830

Tan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheCapTan
In my Piper arrow my 830 is connected to my gtn 650xi. Since day 1 I haven’t been able to get the Ground speed and fuel required to waypoint or destination to show any information. When I pull data logs it does shows gps coordinates and ground speeds. My last visit to a shop they verified the settings were correct but it was only a software update for my gtn as they were booked. Ff uodates to 650 accurately. Could this be a pin issue ?

In my Piper arrow my 830 is connected to my gtn 650xi. Since day 1 I haven’t been able to get the Ground speed and fuel required to waypoint or destination to show any information. When I pull data logs it does shows gps coordinates and ground speeds. My last visit to a shop they verified the settings were correct but it was only a software update for my gtn as they were booked. Ff uodates to 650 accurately. Could this be a pin issue ?
I had the same issue with my 750. It's the protocol, the manual is wrong. Set the GTN to FADC format 1.
EDIT TO ADD:
If the EDM 830 GPS-C is set to 1 then the GTN is set to Fuel Format 2. If the EDM 830 GPS-C is set to 6 or 7 then the GTN is set to FADC Format 1.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my 750. It's the protocol, the manual is wrong. Set the GTN to FADC format 1.
EDIT TO ADD:
If the EDM 830 GPS-C is set to 1 then the GTN is set to Fuel Format 2. If the EDM 830 GPS-C is set to 6 or 7 then the GTN is set to FADC Format 1.

how do you find the GPS setting on the 830?

how do you find the GPS setting on the 830?
Going from memory here but the way it works is that the EDM is smart enough to determine the protocol coming from the GTN. The GTN must be set up to the correct protocol. The way to get into the menu for the EDM is hold both buttons to get into the programming mode and then tap step to get into the protocol page. See pages 59 and 62 in the EDM pilots guide.

Set the EDM data format to mode 1 (Garmin) then go into the GTN config page and set the format to Fuel Format 2. I believe there are 4 options. My plane also has a 530W so I set mine to FADC.

Going from memory here

Set the EDM data format to mode 1 (Garmin) then go into the GTN config page and set the format to Fuel Format 2. I believe there are 4 options. My plane also has a 530W so I set mine to FADC.

thank you very much. I’ll try this tomorrow.

thank you very much. I’ll try this tomorrow.
I hope it works for you. Once we decided that the protocol was wrong, there are only a few options in the GTN menu, we just tried all 4 until we found the one that worked. Once you find the correct one, the GPH field will change from dashes to 0.0 GPH.

FROM THE EDM MANUAL:

The EDM sends formatted data to the GPS relating to fuel flow. This format must be selected in Pilot Program Mode to match what the GPS expects to receive. The table below depicts the available EDM choices: GPS-C Fuel Flow Format for GPS Bi-directional Comm Data OUT OF EDM → INTO GPS GPS-C Description
0 No fuel data output
1 Garmin (Shadin Miniflow format)
2 Allied Signal (format B) “To waypoint only”
3 Arnav/EI Signal Format
4 Allied Signal (format C) *
5 (Not used)
6 Garmin 430/530 GNX-80/GX-60 “To waypoint only”
7 Garmin 430/530 GNX-80/GX-60 “To Destination only”
8 Allied Signal (format B) “To Destination only”

Are you trying to get it to show up on the GTN? Or on the JPI?

Are you trying to get it to show up on the GTN? Or on the JPI?

IM trying to get it show on the EDM. So as of right now, Fuel Quantity gets updated from the 830 to my Gtn. I know they are both communicating. One shop set it up for me but when I flew home the Gps feature still was not working correctly. It sort of did one time but often times it says no GPS signal but the data logs shows otherwise. All other gauges on the 830 work great.

I hope it works for you. Once we decided that the protocol was wrong, there are only a few options in the GTN menu, we just tried all 4 until we found the one that worked. Once you find the correct one, the GPH field will change from dashes to 0.0 GPH.

FROM THE EDM MANUAL:

The EDM sends formatted data to the GPS relating to fuel flow. This format must be selected in Pilot Program Mode to match what the GPS expects to receive. The table below depicts the available EDM choices: GPS-C Fuel Flow Format for GPS Bi-directional Comm Data OUT OF EDM → INTO GPS GPS-C Description
0 No fuel data output
1 Garmin (Shadin Miniflow format)
2 Allied Signal (format B) “To waypoint only”
3 Arnav/EI Signal Format
4 Allied Signal (format C) *
5 (Not used)
6 Garmin 430/530 GNX-80/GX-60 “To waypoint only”
7 Garmin 430/530 GNX-80/GX-60 “To Destination only”
8 Allied Signal (format B) “To Destination only”

My fuel quality updates correctly from the 830 to my gtn. Ex. when I refuel and reset the fuel to full tank the gtn updates as well.

Have you called the shop that installed it. They should be the ones fixing it.

Have you called the shop that installed it. They should be the ones fixing it.

I tried a couple times after install to get a hold of them. Their customer service is trash after I paid them 47k for my install. Won’t ever deal with them again or ever recommend them.

I tried a couple times after install to get a hold of them. Their customer service is trash after I paid them 47k for my install. Won’t ever deal with them again or ever recommend them.

Oh wow, for that money you paid I would be very ****ed.

Oh wow, for that money you paid I would be very ****ed.
Oh believe me. I would never recommend them. I had to straighten out all the squawks in my own.

It sounds like the output on the Agar in is set wrong. Set it to Aviation Format 1 and see if that works.

EDIT TO ADD:

My input is fuel format 2
And output is aviation output 2

My input is fuel format 2
And output is aviation output 2

Your output on the GTN should definitely be aviation format 1, and I personally always set them up as input FADC Format 1 with the EDM’s GPS-C set to 7 (fuel to destination).

However, the only difference that I know of between aviation output 2 and 1 that I’m aware of though is that 2 lacks altitude. So while it’s nice to have the EDM recording the value, it shouldn’t impact the ability of the EDM to display the GS, REQ and such fields…. I’d suggest changing the output format on the EDM, and the input format on the GTN and see what happens. Since you are getting lat/long in the EDM logs, it must be getting the GTN output. It would make sense that it “can’t” display a value for REQ and such if the format isn’t set right as it doesn’t know to where it should be displaying it.

Last edited:
If you have ever updated your firmware for the 830, it creates a lot of changes to the configuration procedure and JPI does not document those changes. It is best to call JPI support and ask for their "cheat sheet" for setup. They also said that they would walk me through the process if I phoned them while at the plane.

What setup do you have?

GTN 650-JPI 900.

I remember having to change it to get OAT sent to 650 so when I go to TAS page, everything is filled in. But never had a problem with fuel calculations. So if you don’t have OAT probe, protocol will be different on IN.

GTN 650-JPI 900.

I remember having to change it to get OAT sent to 650 so when I go to TAS page, everything is filled in. But never had a problem with fuel calculations. So if you don’t have OAT probe, protocol will be different on IN.

I have an Oat temp too but also the gad 13 for my G5. so I get temps from the 830 and my G5s.

@Tan Did you ever get the Fuel Required for next waypoint or destination to work? If so, what worked?

I am having similar issue with a Garmin GNX-375 and the JPI EDM-830. So much for "Standards" based commo.

I am having similar issue with a Garmin GNX-375 and the JPI EDM-830. So much for "Standards" based commo.

The two units are communicating as fuel galleons update but that’s it.

The 2" navigators (GPS175/GNC355/GNX375) don't support the same RS232 formats that the GNS and GTN units do, and as such they don't currently support receiving fuel data. This is theoretically something Garmin could add in a future software update, but not supported currently.

still doesn’t work

Would love to see the configuration settings on both devices, so strange that yours isn't working fully. Could you post the contents of the Settings.txt file that the EDM write to the USB stick when you download the flights? As well as a picture of the RS232 settings on the GTN?

What shop did you use that you wouldn't recommend?

The two units are communicating as fuel galleons update but that’s it.

@Tan The Fuel Gallons (GPH) comes from the JPI Fuel Transducer, I don't believe it has anything to do with any inputs from the GPS.

My shop tried several iterations on JPI and GPS and in now works for me. Here is what I have that works:
  • JPI - GPS Format: #6: GNS 430/530-WP
  • Garmin GNX-375 - RS-232 Interfaces:
    • Port 2: Aviation Output 1 (for the JPI)
BTW - on the ground, 3 of the side channels on the JPI were X'ed out: 1- H:M, 2 - REQ, and 3 -RES. EXCEPT - on my GNX-375 there is the initial test mode on Power Up, first it confirms Databases (I press Continue), then it goes into a mode to confirm the CDI gauge - in my case i have a G5 DG/HSI, so I can verify the indicator shows what the GPS has. At this point, these 3 X'ed out JPI channels display info and let you know the GPS and JPI are talking on these channels. Once I press Continue again to leave test mode, the JPI then X'es out those 3 channels again.

The 3 X'ed out channels require the plane to be in motion to calculate Time to Waypoint - assume it get GPH (from JPI fuel flow transducer) and Time to waypoint (from GPS) to calculate, If the Time part is Zero - dividing by 0 gives Infinity, so the JPI just X'es out as it can't calculate what to display. Once airborne, the GPS calculates a Time to Waypoint and these 3 Channels come alive on the jPI.

Let us know if you can get yours to work

Last edited:
@Tan The Fuel Gallons (GPH) comes from the JPI Fuel Transducer, I don't believe it has anything to do with any inputs from the GPS.

My shop tried several iterations on JPI and GPS and in now works for me. Here is what I have that works:
BTW - on the ground, 3 of the side channels on the JPI were X'ed out: 1- H:M, 2 - REQ, and 3 -RES. EXCEPT - on my GNX-375 there is the initial test mode on Power Up, first it confirms Databases (I press Continue), then it goes into a mode to confirm the CDI gauge - in my case i have a G5 DG/HSI, so I can verify the indicator shows what the GPS has. At this point, these 3 X'ed out JPI channels display info and let you know the GPS and JPI are talking on these channels. Once I press Continue again to leave test mode, the JPI then X'es out those 3 channels again.

The 3 X'ed out channels require the plane to be in motion to calculate Time to Waypoint - assume it get GPH (from JPI fuel flow transducer) and Time to waypoint (from GPS) to calculate, If the Time part is Zero - dividing by 0 gives Infinity, so the JPI just X'es out as it can't calculate what to display. Once airborne, the GPS calculates a Time to Waypoint and these 3 Channels come alive on the jPI.

Ive tried FADC INPUT and Aviation output 1 and that didn't work. Thats from anther plane with almost the same setup. Dual G5s with Gad 13. HE also has an EDM 830. I had to change it back as it wasn't giving me fuel updates to the GTN.

I had ifr check and he checked my settings. Still can’t get any info on the edm 830. So far all I get is fuel update on my gtn 650 xi. It will update gallons.

Back