Just bought my own plane

A flightstream 210 and an ipad will give you most of the benefits of a gtn.

100%!
I love seeing people like @Chrisgoesflying taking epic trips in "trainer" airplanes. No such thing. Look what Josh Flowers has done for himself with a lowly 172, and he flies that thing all over the country. My airplane would be considered "fast" compared to a 140/160, but compared to a TBM it's a joke. It's what I can afford and it takes me & mine where I want to go, when I want to go. There's nothing like your own plane.

To be fair, my previous plane was a Cessna 150 so the Cherokee feels like a 747 to me. The plane before that was an Ercoupe so the Cessna felt big and the plane before that was a Rans S6 so the Ercoupe felt big and fast. It’s all in perspective.

Congrats! I love the older Cherokees… I flew a 180 for a while in a flying club and ended up buying an airplane for the same reasons you stated. That sounds like a great panel, I’m eyeing an upgrade eventually but I think a 430W with the G5’s will be a great IFR training platform to give you the ability to shoot LPV approaches.

430w or 430. If 430w I would elect to keep it until it starts causing problems.

It’s a 430. It will get me through IFR but it’s going to get replaced at some point soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Nice plane. Now turn on that GoPro and lets see some flying.

I’ve been doing that but I don’t like the location. I’m also going to do the first video for my Aviatist YouTube channel on her. Need to borrow a hangar for the shoot.

I sometimes get kind of tired of people saying this airplane or that airplane is a “good time builder,” or some such subtle put down. Unless a person is super rich, there are always going to be airplanes that are farther up the food chain than the one they have or want. If you have an aerial vehicle that can safely get you airborne and back on terra firma, you are far more privileged than most of this world’s population. You are obviously proud of your “new” airplane, Roger. Don’t let anyone steal your joy!

Congratulations on your baptism into airplane ownership! It can be expensive, frustrating and infuriating sometimes, but there is not much else in this world quite like it. Now, go enjoy it! Don’t worry about starting to spend money on new gadgets and goodies. Your 430 can do all an instrument airplane needs to do. Work instead on your skills, and enjoy it!

Thanks! I hadn’t considered it like that. Yep. I’m proud of her and look forward to many adventures.

I’m more of the why wait to install the 650 or what not. Kind of like living in a house for 10 years and then finally buy new carpet - right before you sell and move.

Get it now and enjoy! Huge bang for the buck!

BtW - with the price of fuel your plane looks really smart now vs other choices. 9 gallons/ hour?

8.8 when leaned. I honestly haven’t been able to accurately check.

A flightstream 210 and an ipad will give you most of the benefits of a gtn.

100%!
I love seeing people like @Chrisgoesflying taking epic trips in "trainer" airplanes. No such thing. Look what Josh Flowers has done for himself with a lowly 172, and he flies that thing all over the country. My airplane would be considered "fast" compared to a 140/160, but compared to a TBM it's a joke. It's what I can afford and it takes me & mine where I want to go, when I want to go. There's nothing like your own plane.

Mine has a cruise prop on and I get 133mph burning 8.8gph. I plan to fly her to Atlanta to see my grandson and Wilmington NC to see my parents. Once I add the hatrack bulkhead I’ll have a really sweet traveler.

To be fair, my previous plane was a Cessna 150 so the Cherokee feels like a 747 to me. The plane before that was an Ercoupe so the Cessna felt big and the plane before that was a Rans S6 so the Ercoupe felt big and fast. It’s all in perspective.

Sounds like “2ft disease” in boats. Where every new boat is 2ft longer than the last.

Congrats! I love the older Cherokees… I flew a 180 for a while in a flying club and ended up buying an airplane for the same reasons you stated. That sounds like a great panel, I’m eyeing an upgrade eventually but I think a 430W with the G5’s will be a great IFR training platform to give you the ability to shoot LPV approaches.

It’s only a 430 but it will get me there.

I sometimes get kind of tired of people saying this airplane or that airplane is a “good time builder,” or some such subtle put down. Unless a person is super rich, there are always going to be airplanes that are farther up the food chain than the one they have or want. If you have an aerial vehicle that can safely get you airborne and back on terra firma, you are far more privileged than most of this world’s population. You are obviously proud of your “new” airplane, Roger. Don’t let anyone steal your joy!

Congratulations on your baptism into airplane ownership! It can be expensive, frustrating and infuriating sometimes, but there is not much else in this world quite like it. Now, go enjoy it! Don’t worry about starting to spend money on new gadgets and goodies. Your 430 can do all an instrument airplane needs to do. Work instead on your skills, and enjoy it!
Like being married.

Looking great. Hey, much with most of us is flying solo or with one passenger. If needed, light load the fuel, get a ‘fuel straw’. Just don’t try to shoe-horn into that strip in backcountry ID loaded up. Once winter comes performance improves.

Back in the day I flew a PA-28, 140 to AK, Summer, leaving from MS. There were 2 of us, great trip.

The main thing is safe flying, all the more so with the VIP’s onboard. You ready for the FISKE arrival??

At these prices, sipping 7.25 GPH of 100LL is a good thing.

I picked up a Piper Cherokee 140 with the 160 conversion. IFR panel with 2 G5's, S-Tec 30 autopilot, and a GNS430. Has a second radio. Brought her home 2 weeks ago and have already put 15hrs on her. I was wanting to hold out for prices to drop, but with interest rates heading up, I balanced out the price versus payment and took the leap.

I was really tired of renting. Can't effectively do any traveling with a rental. I did a day trip to visit my parents and the rental cost for 5.5 hours was more than 2 payments on the plane. That was my last day I rented a plane.

I found N1732J and immediately went to look at her. Paint is great. Interior is so-so (back seats okay, front seats worn out and headliner is torn but I have the material to redo that). The GNS430 is functional but obviously dated. Engine is strong and dry. Pre-buy had no squawks, just a note for next year's annual.

My plan is to use it to travel and get my IFR. Next year I'll address the interior. May end up upgrading the 430 to the 650 before I'm ready to move on.

I'm based at KFCI. Anybody who wants to meet up and fly somewhere, message me. My co-pilot approved of the purchase :)

View attachment 108304View attachment 108306 View attachment 108305
Congrats on a great looking plane!!!

Looking great. Hey, much with most of us is flying solo or with one passenger. If needed, light load the fuel, get a ‘fuel straw’. Just don’t try to shoe-horn into that strip in backcountry ID loaded up. Once winter comes performance improves.

Back in the day I flew a PA-28, 140 to AK, Summer, leaving from MS. There were 2 of us, great trip.

The main thing is safe flying, all the more so with the VIP’s onboard. You ready for the FISKE arrival??

At these prices, sipping 7.25 GPH of 100LL is a good thing.

I may put Osh on my list for next year. Wanted to go for a long time

I picked up a Piper Cherokee 140 with the 160 conversion. IFR panel with 2 G5's, S-Tec 30 autopilot, and a GNS430. Has a second radio. Brought her home 2 weeks ago and have already put 15hrs on her. I was wanting to hold out for prices to drop, but with interest rates heading up, I balanced out the price versus payment and took the leap.

I was really tired of renting. Can't effectively do any traveling with a rental. I did a day trip to visit my parents and the rental cost for 5.5 hours was more than 2 payments on the plane. That was my last day I rented a plane.

I found N1732J and immediately went to look at her. Paint is great. Interior is so-so (back seats okay, front seats worn out and headliner is torn but I have the material to redo that). The GNS430 is functional but obviously dated. Engine is strong and dry. Pre-buy had no squawks, just a note for next year's annual.

My plan is to use it to travel and get my IFR. Next year I'll address the interior. May end up upgrading the 430 to the 650 before I'm ready to move on.

I'm based at KFCI. Anybody who wants to meet up and fly somewhere, message me. My co-pilot approved of the purchase :)

View attachment 108304View attachment 108306 View attachment 108305
Congratulations! Nice bird!

Congratulations!

Ownership is awesome. And frustrating. And expensive. But mostly awesome.

This x1000

Congrats and welcome to airplane ownership. It's awesome to jump in and go and not have to watch the clock to be back in time for the next guy.

Awesome and congratulations!!!

My first 150 hrs or so were in a 140 and I'm envious!

Had an opportunity to partner in a pa28-180 in 2019 and held off for something newer and faster . . . Now prices are double and I'm still a renter with little access! Renting is not conducive to flying.

Congrats on taking the plunge and post pics and stories about your adventures.

Beautiful co-Pilot.

Awesome and congratulations!!!

My first 150 hrs or so were in a 140 and I'm envious!

Had an opportunity to partner in a pa28-180 in 2019 and held off for something newer and faster . . . Now prices are double and I'm still a renter with little access! Renting is not conducive to flying.

Congrats on taking the plunge and post pics and stories about your adventures.

Beautiful co-Pilot.

Renting sucks if you really want to fly. Mine isn’t a speed demon but a step up from the Tecnam p92 I rented for training. Definitely a ton more comfortable!

I figured to take the plunge while interest rates were still low.

Adventures coming soon

WAAS would be nice (easily solved with an IFD440).
Don't disagree, but even a non-waas gps gets you 95% of the way there. The club 172 I fly occasionally doesn't have any gps, and it's getting very difficult to find routes and approaches I can actually fly with it. LNAV minima are low enough, and with the g5 he'll have advisory glideslope. Only downside is alternate planning is more difficult. The 430 also has FDE, which the KLN 94 I trained with didn't.

ETA: @Roger Wyatt you should consider a flightstream 210 if you're going to keep the 430 for a while. Makes it a lot more usable and doesn't cost too much.

I'd prefer to keep a nice cash cushion after a new plane purchase until I knew the plane better and had been through first annual with new shop, new set of eyes. Prebuy might turn up nothing but then a details oriented person might find two 500 hr magnetos, fuel or oil lines that really ought be changed, an alternator belt that had never been changed, brakes that are okay but better served by replacement, or other such more important things compared to the ENDLESS stuff that can be done to a plane.

A decent cash cushion for stuff that will come up can be better than a nice looking interior.

My dreams/desires/plans for my first plane were and are bigger than yours. I'd have been better $erved by tempering those planes and using the money for the next plane.

Don't disagree, but even a non-waas gps gets you 95% of the way there.
True, but WAAS is a whole lot less work if you stick with the legal restrictions on routing, alternates, etc. It's a much freer feeling.

I'd prefer to keep a nice cash cushion after a new plane purchase until I knew the plane better and had been through first annual with new shop, new set of eyes. Prebuy might turn up nothing but then a details oriented person might find two 500 hr magnetos, fuel or oil lines that really ought be changed, an alternator belt that had never been changed, brakes that are okay but better served by replacement, or other such more important things compared to the ENDLESS stuff that can be done to a plane.

A decent cash cushion for stuff that will come up can be better than a nice looking interior.

My dreams/desires/plans for my first plane were and are bigger than yours. I'd have been better $erved by tempering those planes and using the money for the next plane.

Seeing as how the 430 is older (and I occasionally get the memory battery low warning), I will probably be upgrading it in the next couple of years. Going to work on the upholstery at the next annual, so maybe the following year I’ll put in an IFD 440, a Garmin 650 or something similar. I’ll get through my IFR with the current setup.

I agree that it’s best to keep a good cash cushion. I don’t need to jump in and put in another 10-15K on avionics goodies right now.

Your plan sounds solid to me. You have plenty to get your instrument rating, and the 430 and dual G5's will keep you aware of where you're at, and which way is up, should you run into inadvertent IFR after you have your rating. I'd prefer that to a 430W and vacuum driven AI for actual IFR. Maybe I'm a baby, but depending on a wear item (dry vacuum pump) for attitude always seemed a little high risk to me. I know...partial panel can be done, but to me that's cutting things too close.

Your plan sounds solid to me. You have plenty to get your instrument rating, and the 430 and dual G5's will keep you aware of where you're at, and which way is up, should you run into inadvertent IFR after you have your rating. I'd prefer that to a 430W and vacuum driven AI for actual IFR. Maybe I'm a baby, but depending on a wear item (dry vacuum pump) for attitude always seemed a little high risk to me. I know...partial panel can be done, but to me that's cutting things too close.

Because it has the G5’s, the 430 and a 2axis autopilot, it qualifies as a TAA for the commercial requirement. At least that’s my understanding. I could be wrong, but I think it meets the regulation.

Because it has the G5’s, the 430 and a 2axis autopilot, it qualifies as a TAA for the commercial requirement. At least that’s my understanding. I could be wrong, but I think it meets the regulation.
Because the airspeed and altimeter are excluded from being primary, there's been some back-and-forth on that. It might have to come down to the DPE.

Because the airspeed and altimeter are excluded from being primary, there's been some back-and-forth on that. It might have to come down to the DPE.

Using this article explaining the new guidance from the FAA, I think my setup qualifies

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-...que/operations/technically-advanced-airplanes

All the PFD requirements are on the G5s. Both are visible at all times, the 430 moving map qualifies for the MFD, and the STec30 is my 2 axis autopilot.

Using this article explaining the new guidance from the FAA, I think my setup qualifies

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/active-pilots/safety-and-technique/operations/technically-advanced-airplanes

All the PFD requirements are on the G5s. Both are visible at all times, the 430 moving map qualifies for the MFD, and the STec30 is my 2 axis autopilot.
FAR 61.129 says:
(j) Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;​

Some argue that since the G5 airspeed indicator and altimeter are not primary (you must retain the analog versions) then the G5 cannot be a PFD. Others argue that it does not matter. As I said, it may have to come down to the DPE.

Back