Fireworks gone wrong

I'm surprised that doesn't happen more around here. Fireworks are are readily available and legal in some jurisdictions, and even where they're technically not legal, nobody seems to care.
It always strikes me as ironic...people complain about others breaking laws, when the whole HOLIDAY celebrates breaking laws in the worst way possible.

We live at the crest of a hill with a good view of our city. About 25 years ago, my nextdoor neighbor held a party on the fourth. He knew everyone in this down, and one of the attendees was the city's mayor.

The mayor had recently pushed through a city ordinance banning fireworks...if it blew up or went up, it was illegal. He was bragging about how that was going to make things change.

And as it got dark...his whole city laid out below us burst into near-constant fireworks. He just stood there, grinding his teeth.....

Actually hizzhonor was a pretty nice guy. Just the kind that thought that making something illegal meant no one did it anymore. Didn't make his job easier when there was an Indian reservation on the other side of the valley, selling gawd-know-what to anyone with a couple of bucks and a desire to see things go "boom".

Ron Wanttaja

I asked our son-in-law if everything we saw was "legal" or if some folks had gone to a fireworks stand on the other side of the state called the "Ill Eagle" fireworks stand? He just smiled.

Reminds me of bottle rocket and BB gun fights we used have when I was a kid. lol

Back in the day we could get them M-80's and cherry bombs. Had a friend that would take several and do a combination thingy that was really rude when it went off. Usually brought the law around for a look ... :rockon:

Iowa was a mess of confusion this year. Before 4 or 5 years ago, fireworks were illegal statewide. Then the state made them legal. Counties and cities responded with a patchwork of rules and regulations, everything from complete ban, to the sky is the limit. Then this year the state passed a law, quietly I might add, that prohibited local jurisdictions from restricting the sale of fireworks, however they are still allowed to ban the use of them.

So what you have now is cities with bans on fireworks, that have big tents popping up in every parking lot selling them, and the city trying to remind people they are illegal. SMH

As a firefighter and public safety guy, I at least understand the need for restrictions in cities. It isn't to protect you from yourself, its to protect you from your idiot neighbor burning your house down, as several did this year. Houses and neighbors are just to close to each other inside a city.

Back in the day we could get them M-80's and cherry bombs

My dad used to get his hands on M-80s that were dated 20-25 years earlier, so from the 50s. We as kids would tie one on the end of the tail of a kite, light it, send it up about 50-75 feet and BOOM.!! They would shake the neighborhood..

MANY years ago, I was at Wolf Trap Farm Park outside DC for the 4th.

The fireworks were being launched from the bottom of a bowl area. Some with had lighted. Say the guy light one and then he dove to the ground. It went off in the tube.

That set off a couple of more, which set off the flatbed with the rest of the show. All on the ground. Most of the spectators were INSIDE the fireworks.

Luckily only a few people were injured, and not badly.

Back