Oshkosh 2022 Group Parking/Camping Headcount

I literally am not going to be there for free beer. totally not awesome :(
Is this your way of talking @Dave Theisen into changing his mind and picking you up? 6PC and KTUP free beer (n stuff) at SOS and Masloki hombrew all at the same place should negate all work constraints.

Got our tent. Checks 2 big boxes. No sun at 6 am. Easy setup. Fits someone 6 feet tall. 3ADBCFF7-45BA-45A4-AB04-185DAB35F739.jpeg

I think the Yodeling begins promptly at 6 AM. I still don't understand that part.

just another do gooder making sure you don’t miss any of the show. As if the 6am jet departures don’t wake everyone up anyway.

I think the Yodeling begins promptly at 6 AM. I still don't understand that part.

I love the yodeling tradition. There was someone from Wisconsin that would volunteer to do overnight security every year. At the end of his shift he would do a yodel to rev everyone up for the day. Cancer got him 20-ish years ago and now the morning yodels are recordings of him from back in the day, played in tribute.

I love it!

I even have one of his recordings on my phone that I use as my ringtone every July to get in the mood. :)

Yep on the stakes - I’ve got good ones from the many years. My Columbia tent snapped some poles last year and I chucked it before realizing it had a lifetime warranty. Not overly impressed with Coleman, but hopefully the dark room will negate the number of mornings I woke up baking due to the sun. It seems mostly open on the screen so will see if it can withstand the inevitable storm. Ear plugs fix the jets, yodeling and portapottie door slamming.
@SixPapaCharlie 72 today. Why do people keep saying I should move to Dallas?

What are these tent things????????

Staying in the Dorm Sunday night to Thursday. Be jamming at the One Week Wonder Monday Morning pulling rivets or some other grunt work. Afternoon shift Monday at the Seaplane Pilots Association booth.

Cheers

I love the yodeling tradition. There was someone from Wisconsin that would volunteer to do overnight security every year. At the end of his shift he would do a yodel to rev everyone up for the day. Cancer got him 20-ish years ago and now the morning yodels are recordings of him from back in the day, played in tribute.

I love it!

I even have one of his recordings on my phone that I use as my ringtone every July to get in the mood. :)
Some information: https://www.eaa.org/videos/1119304309

More, courtesy of an archived rec.aviation.piloting thread started by @Jay Honeck (although sadly the link he posted to a 2005 EAA news article is long dead):
LEGENDARY EAA YODELER PASSES AWAY
We were saddened this week to hear of Bill Ricketts' death after a battle with cancer. Bill was the legendary "EAA Yodeler," who awakened campers at AirVenture every morning for more than 20 years. His performances became part of the unique fabric of the event and were noted by attendees, volunteers and the media. Fortunately, many of his yodels have been recorded so that wake-up call will not be lost forever. Our condolences go to Bill's family and his many friends in the Communications Center "Green Gang" volunteer group. His family has directed any memorials in his name to go to the EAA Young Eagles Program or the American Lung Association of Maryland.

So, volunteer for 20+ years at Oshkosh, do something unique the whole time, and maybe you, too, can annoy future generations long after you're gone.

Last edited:
I miss the guy that was the one man band! It has never been the same walking by the corner where he was always at!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I camped in the n40 last year and had no idea about the yodeling. Must've not been able to hear it over the t-6's cranking up every morning at 6:00:00.5

I don't know how you guys do it that stay out late at the beer tent. Ear plugs and excedrine? I'm not convinced there's earplugs made that could block out that supersonic prop. I used to get excited about seeing a t6....

I camped in the n40 last year and had no idea about the yodeling. Must've not been able to hear it over the t-6's cranking up every morning at 6:00:00.5

I don't know how you guys do it that stay out late at the beer tent. Ear plugs and excedrine? I'm not convinced there's earplugs made that could block out that supersonic prop. I used to get excited about seeing a t6....
Sorry, that wasn’t a T-6. That was me snoring in my tent over in HBC. I won’t be there this year, so you shouldn’t need the ear plugs.

7AM actually. Though it's often preannounced by the T-6 team going out to practice. I actually have the yodeller as my ring tone on my phone. To my knowledge there are only three of those tones kicking around.

It's over the PA on the flight line, and one of my favorite parts about camping in Vintage.
I didn't start in vintage until my third Oshkosh. I liked being more in the show than the N40 or the dorms, but back in the day it was a long way to preshow food. Then we woke up to the yodelling.

Watching the night airshow from Jay's up in the north 40 was real nice as you can't hear the inane PA system there.

Watching the night airshow from Jay's up in the north 40 was real nice as you can't hear the inane PA system there.
That's the second reason we watch ALL the airshows under the wing of my Cessna/shade in the N40. A cooler full of beer is the first reason. Can't stand the announcers.

Wait so which is better? N40 or vintage?

They both have their charms:

N40 Pros:
Closer to off-airport restaurant/shopping
Less early morning airplane noise
No PA system

Vintage Pros:
Closer to the show
On the flightline
Currently packed a little less dense

Is this your way of talking @Dave Theisen into changing his mind and picking you up? 6PC and KTUP free beer (n stuff) at SOS and Masloki hombrew all at the same place should negate all work constraints.

[mention]eman1200 [/mention] you pull that seniority card at work yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep on the stakes - I’ve got good ones from the many years. My Columbia tent snapped some poles last year and I chucked it before realizing it had a lifetime warranty. Not overly impressed with Coleman, but hopefully the dark room will negate the number of mornings I woke up baking due to the sun. It seems mostly open on the screen so will see if it can withstand the inevitable storm. Ear plugs fix the jets, yodeling and portapottie door slamming.
@SixPapaCharlie 72 today. Why do people keep saying I should move to Dallas?
That dark room stuff is pretty nice. Keeps it cool and dark.

Wait so which is better? N40 or vintage?
N40 you can have a bike (hopefully from Salvation Army) which means easy rolling to SOS. Vintage, always a hike. Otherwise, vintage is show center so saves waiting coming and going, and easy to grab something mid-day. Vintage also has some trees though I am guessing the shady bits go quick.

N40 you can have a bike (hopefully from Salvation Army) which means easy rolling to SOS. Vintage, always a hike. Otherwise, vintage is show center so saves waiting coming and going, and easy to grab something mid-day. Vintage also has some trees though I am guessing the shady bits go quick.
Is the SA doing bikes again? They stopped a couple years ago and had no idea if they would start again.

I'm going to try vintage this year every other year I've done the north 40 and I've ended up on the far north side of that runway so I'm having to walk around the entire length of that thing to get anywhere.

I like the north 40 cuz I really enjoy popping into friar tucks and grabbing a cold beer

And it's always been a 30-minute walk from SOS Brothers I'm guessing in the grand scheme of things if I park in vintage it will be less walking over all

I'm going to try vintage this year every other year I've done the north 40 and I've ended up on the far north side of that runway so I'm having to walk around the entire length of that thing to get anywhere.

I like the north 40 cuz I really enjoy popping into friar tucks and grabbing a cold beer

And it's always been a 30-minute walk from SOS Brothers I'm guessing in the grand scheme of things if I park in vintage it will be less walking over all
You’re guessing correctly. Vintage is right across from Boeing Plaza

What are these tent things????????

Staying in the Dorm Sunday night to Thursday. Be jamming at the One Week Wonder Monday Morning pulling rivets or some other grunt work. Afternoon shift Monday at the Seaplane Pilots Association booth.

Cheers
I'll be close to the entrance near the barn at Camp Scholler Need to do a camp-fire and round of POA drinks.

You’re guessing correctly. Vintage is right across from Boeing Plaza
Vintage starts at the comm center (green roof building right in the center of the show) and runs south all the way to the end of the world.

If I want to volunteer on the vintage flight line again, do I just show up at the building on Saturday after I get my plane tied down in GAC?

Is the SA doing bikes again? They stopped a couple years ago and had no idea if they would start again.

That would be a wait and see, but I'm guessing not. I asked about it early last year and nobody at the place knew anything about them selling bikes.

I think it was posted here last year......the guy that rehabbed the bikes for SA went on to greener pastures.....so they quit doing it.

Some information: https://www.eaa.org/videos/1119304309

More, courtesy of an archived rec.aviation.piloting thread started by @Jay Honeck (although sadly the link he posted to a 2005 EAA news article is long dead):

So, volunteer for 20+ years at Oshkosh, do something unique the whole time, and maybe you, too, can annoy future generations long after you're gone.

Well, sorry that this tradition "annoys" you. I am annoyed by skinny jeans, brown shoes with little boy blue suits (Frank Zappa let us all know how lame THAT is), pilots who use "knots" as a unit of distance, pilots who can't fly a railroad track at a set altitude, and the designated hitter. MLB is dead to me.

Back