Propeller paint color?

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
It appears the subject of putting paint on a propeller has caused much strife in the past, but I'm going to wade in because I cannot find the answer to what I think is a simple question on the interwebs.

What color is a standard, run of the mill Hartzell prop?

Gray. Duh.

Tempo A151. Okay. What color is that? What color can I get in a touch up pen that will match?

I know some have found a krylon/rustoleum color that matches...

I don't want spray paint. I have a very tight fitting spinner, and it's nearly impossible to get it on & off without scratching the prop. I'd like a matching color to minimize the appearance of these scratches, ideally in a pen or small brush type applicator.

The question I would ask is “which paint actually stays on a prop?”

As far as scratching your prop, go to a thrift store and buy a pair of pants - maybe even a pair of kids pants. Cut the legs off. Put a pant leg on each blade. Install your spinner. Remove pant legs after install.

As far as scratching your prop, go to a thrift store and buy a pair of pants - maybe even a pair of kids pants. Cut the legs off. Put a pant leg on each blade. Install your spinner. Remove pant legs after install.
That's pretty clever. My mechanic & I have figured out how to wiggle it on gently, but it still leaves scuffs that a layer of denim would surely prevent.

Unfortunately the mechanic in Georgia apparently got impatient and forced it, leaving some pretty deep scratches in the brand new-from-overhaul paint. Then to add insult to injury he attempted to cover them with some kind of blue-gray paint that didn't match at all and looks worse than the scratch.

Who did your prop O/H? Are they on an airport? If so, call them and fly in there. The standard prop paint used is a two part epoxy, so you have to mix it before use, and it sets up pretty quickly. If you catch them at the right time, they could just give you an ounce of it right out of their gun. You'll have a much better match as well.

Who did your prop O/H? Are they on an airport? If so, call them and fly in there. The standard prop paint used is a two part epoxy, so you have to mix it before use, and it sets up pretty quickly. If you catch them at the right time, they could just give you an ounce of it right out of their gun. You'll have a much better match as well.
No, it was a place down in Alabama when my plane was stuck in Georgia. That another good idea I hadn't thought of though. I was kind of thinking about taking my plane to a prop shop anyway to see if they could do a better dynamic balance than my local shop.

I would be more concerned weather it scratched the metal. An un blended scratch in a part that highly stressed is cause for concern.

If you are worried about scratching the prop installing a spinner an old pair of stretch socks with the toes cut out work for that.

Don’t use the spray can paint from Aircraft Spruce. I have bought plenty of it and have had trouble with all of it. Terrible paint because it won’t come out of the spray can no matter how I try.

I've heard "thru the grapevine" that the Tempo paint that Spruce sells will spray much better if you put the can in a bucket of hot water for a while prior to spraying. Don't know if it's true, or how long "a while" is.

My Hartzell came with gray on the front and black on the back, white tips.

I've heard "thru the grapevine" that the Tempo paint that Spruce sells will spray much better if you put the can in a bucket of hot water for a while prior to spraying. Don't know if it's true, or how long "a while" is.

Yep. Shake well. Sit in hot water for 10 mins. Shake again. Spray. Works much better, but you will still get the odd dude can.

Tempo prop paint is backordered in alot of places. Anyone find some? I am looking for Hartzell grey and flat black.

My Hartzell came with gray on the front and black on the back, white tips.
Same as my buddies Hartzell prop.

My prop used to be grey and showed up on most all pictures while running.
I painted it black a couple years ago and now shows up in pictures less.
I bought about 10 cans of Tempo paint, all colors for propeller and engine. None of it sprayed completely until the can was empty without clogging. AS asked for the numbers on the bottom of the cans. I never got back to them since I was lazy and didn't want send them back.
I poked a hole in the top of the can and drained out the paint into a touch up gun to air spray it. It left small chunks of something in my paint strainer which I feel was clogging the nozzles. Not a fan of Tempo paint in spray cans.
IMG_8220.JPG

Back