Stop & Go's

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
I recently had a discussion with another recently graduated Private who was told by his CFI that for night currency your night landings had to be taxi backs. I've always considered Stop & Go's to qualify based on my reading of 61.57(b)1 and consultation of my CFI during my training. Since this is essentially the blind leading the blind I wanted to get some clarification from the braintrust. Assuming that Stop & Go can be performed safely based on conditions and RWY length does it qualify for night re-currency? If there are any published opinions from FAA let me know. I haven't found any.

61.57(b)(1) says "...landings to a full stop..."

Stop & go's are OK for legality. Taxi backs are for safety margin for example a short runway or unforgiving terrain beyond the runway.

Night takeoff and landing experience.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, and -
How would one make stop and goes without coming to a full stop?

seems pretty straightforward. Unfortunately many flight instructors aren’t known for actually referencing regulations when they dream up requirements.

I actually did stop-and-goes to get night currency at IAD one night. Landed, stopped, took off, got up to 1000AGL, landed again, taxied in (I'd already done one full stop landing earlier). 11,000 foot runways that nobody else is using is really fun. One night I wanted to use all three (the west runway hadn't been built yet) on subsequent stop and goes but never did that. The other was I wanted to do one landing at BWI, one at DCA, and back to IAD. 9/11 kind of derailed that idea.

I recently had a discussion with another recently graduated Private who was told by his CFI that for night currency your night landings had to be taxi backs. I've always considered Stop & Go's to qualify based on my reading of 61.57(b)1 and consultation of my CFI during my training. Since this is essentially the blind leading the blind I wanted to get some clarification from the braintrust. Assuming that Stop & Go can be performed safely based on conditions and RWY length does it qualify for night re-currency? If there are any published opinions from FAA let me know. I haven't found any.

That CFI is an idiot that obviously has reading comprehension and cognitive issues.

How would one make stop and goes without coming to a full stop?

seems pretty straightforward. Unfortunately many flight instructors aren’t known for actually referencing regulations when they dream up requirements.

Or they are really good at reading into things that aren't actually there.

One could consider it possible that a flight instructor was aware of the actual rules but the originally mentioned and newly minted P.P. might have heard the "taxi back" suggestion for a particular airport and taken it as a "FAA written rule".

Or not.

I would rank these as equally probable.

Based on further discussion with fellow new pilot I think it may have come from the Flight school that was conveyed wrongly as FAA rule instead of a school safety policy by the CFI. I guess we need to keep in mind that there is a major variance in the teaching from CFI to CFI and school to school.

Based on further discussion with fellow new pilot I think it may have come from the Flight school that was conveyed wrongly as FAA rule instead of a school safety policy by the CFI. I guess we need to keep in mind that there is a major variance in the teaching from CFI to CFI and school to school.
And far more likely that everyone being an idiot :rolleyes:

I actually did stop-and-goes to get night currency at IAD one night. Landed, stopped, took off, got up to 1000AGL, landed again, taxied in (I'd already done one full stop landing earlier). 11,000 foot runways that nobody else is using is really fun. One night I wanted to use all three (the west runway hadn't been built yet) on subsequent stop and goes but never did that. The other was I wanted to do one landing at BWI, one at DCA, and back to IAD. 9/11 kind of derailed that idea.
I’ve heard stories when I trained at KHEF from the older instructors about doing that and doing high speed touch and gos when they had heavy traffic coming in late at night.

After about 10PM Dulles was dead when I was based there. We even managed to get in NORDO (with no prior arrangement) one night. Of course, I've departed with no transponder while the primary radar was out (made me invisible) and also we have brought NORDO aircraft in and out after the SFRA was in effect.

I did my CFI ASE out of Frederick. We flew down to IAD for night work. Got cleared to use 19L, unlimited patterns, clearer for the option each time. Oh, and BTW it would be appreciated if you tol d us when you leave. :D

Back before 9/11 we dropped in at the (new) control tower at DCA. The controllers invited us to come do landings there anytime if we did it after 10 PM. One of the best views of DC is from the bathroom a floor below the tower cab.

Back