Another one of those "small planes", crash near Palo Alto CA.

MalibuJim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MalibuJim
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...YGdDQ3xjh2U7iOvWo1Yz4THwy0dn5b0VrooW46h3OOi8Y

A small aircraft crashed Monday near the Palo Alto Airport, authorities confirm.

The incident was reported around 1:50 p.m. and the Palo Alto Fire Department said the pilot was able to exit the aircraft.

According to a statement, the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board will continue to investigate the incident.

The aircraft was identified as a twin-engine Beechcraft Baron.

Same thing happened to Bob Hoover. He was able to put it down off-airport with “0” injuries to any of the passengers onboard. But then again, that’s Bob Hoover…

To my last days, I'll never understand the pilots who don't supervise refueling.

Surprising how many assume the ramp guy; who's frequently an entry level or temporary worker, or student knows what they are doing across a myriad of aircraft.

Pilot on my field just last week had the fuel truck "fill the tanks" unsupervised. This guy never verified correct fuel, never checked fuel level, never verified the caps were screwed on properly.

Later I asked the kid (part-time student) how long he has been around airplanes, he said "about a month".

Vote YES for pilots supervising refueling.

Last edited:
I was never in a position of flying an aircraft that you could possibly mistake for a turbine-powered aircraft. One of the benefits of being a bottom feeder, I suppose.

Must be Orville or Wilbur Wright. Total time = PIC time.

Flight Time: (Estimated) 14000 hours (Total, all aircraft), 6500 hours (Total, this make and model), 14000
hours (Pilot In Command, all aircraft)
, 50 hours (Last 90 days, all aircraft), 15 hours (Last 30
days, all aircraft)

Nobody fuels my plane but me.

Good for you. But we can also sump our tanks and verify. I routinely trust the FBOs to do the right thing. But verify via pre-flight checklists.

Never had an issue, but I do realize there are issues that others have experienced so we must all be aware, even if you fuel your own plane.

Hadn't seen that one before. There's been some others. Not specific like this one, but mishap threads where Jet A was the cause. There was the one about the Malibu I think it was at Felts Field KSFF a few years ago. That's where I learned all kinds of things about Jet A in gas engines. Had never heard of the problem before. I bought a GATS Tester the next day. Yeah, it's not as easy as just sumping and looking for blue. But there are ways. The thing that sticks in my craw about this one is it sounds like he just didn't check. The NTSB Docket on it doesn't even mention it. They didn't even ask him if he checked. Just blamed the whole thing on the kid who fueled the plane. Yeah, he boo-booed. I've a much stronger word for the pilot and investigator. I am loathe to bring it up, but this one may be Gryder worthy. I am so glad there were no fatalities or serious injury.

Back