Happy July 4!

Lo, many years ago, the Hessian government rented out some fine Hessian troops to the British King.
I cannot remember what book I read this in, but apparently the German king king would get paid when a German citizen died in the service of the English army. Ben Franklin forged the letter the letter from the German king to the English King asking him to attend to Germans injured on the battlefield last in an attempt to increase the casualties. Apparently this was very successful in demoralizing the Germans fighting for the English.

I suppose saying “the 4th” kind of removes some ambiguity as to which country’s independence you are celebrating.
To be fair, the most common holiday around the world is independence from the British.

To be fair, the most common holiday around the world is independence from the British.
My wife and I were just discussing the other day how incredibly well off the British Empire would be had a couple of kings not gotten too greedy.

Greetings from the other side of Trump’s wall. They call it Monday here, but a majority of the visitors make it painfully clear that it’s a major holiday for the Northern neighbors.

Yesterday morning, early, I had to cross to San Diego for a Harbor Freight run. The customs officer specifically asked if I had any fireworks. I was caught off-guard and amused as nothing was further from my mind.

Be excellent to each other, and Party on, Dudes!

I respect the pushback on ‘Muricans talk. Hopefully those who understandably don’t like that will understand when I say I fear “We the People” is becoming more and more corrupted and divisive by the day. It is actually frightening, to some level, because a term of unity seems to be getting turned into a wedge in some corners - including during our parade today in town.

ONE nation
Under God
INDIVISIBLE
With liberty and justice FOR ALL

Happy Independence Day!

/A vet of 24 years who loves his country and respects those who also love our country, even with different perspectives

The thing that bothers me (other than the inclusion of "under God" to begin with), is people act like there's a comma between "one nation" and "under God." There is not. The clause is "one nation under God," then commas around the word indivisible.

ONE nation
Under God
INDIVISIBLE
With liberty and justice FOR ALL

At one time I believed some of these things were nearly true ... it sure doesn't feel much like that anymore. :(

I do love my nation but she isn't what she used to be. Maybe old age is getting to her too ...

The thing that bothers me (other than the inclusion of "under God" to begin with), is people act like there's a comma between "one nation" and "under God." There is not. The clause is "one nation under God," then commas around the word indivisible.

Allow me to add a fact without making it ban-worthy.

It was a cold war add-on in 1954 to somehow distinguish “god-fearing Americans” from the godless heathens East of Poland.

Allow me to add a fact without making it ban-worthy.

It was a cold war add-on in 1954 to somehow distinguish “god-fearing Americans” from the godless heathens East of Poland.

The only other countries that have something like this are not exactly bastions of democracy. When I lived overseas for 12 years and the subject of the pledge came up, all my foreign friends thought it was completely bizarre that a Western democracy has something like this.

My wife and I were just discussing the other day how incredibly well off the British Empire would be had a couple of kings not gotten too greedy.

Kingdoms always end up with greedy kings. We don't have kings here, but we still have to watch out for it. I think we'd have split anyway. Too independent a people. And I think it ended up being better for the British in the long run. Without us, and OUR being a bit greedy, it would've been quite a bit more difficult to deal with the middle part of the 20th century.

Why don't people say "Happy Independence Day" more often? We don't say Happy Dec 25th, or Happy October 31st or Happy January 1st. I don't get it when people say "happy fourth".
I always thought it was because there was always a little ambiguity around the "Independence Day." The Continental Congress voted in favor of independence on July 2nd, but the Declaration was signed on the 4th. Which is the true Independence Day?

In fact, John Adams was vehemently opposed to celebrating the 4th as Independence Day. He thought it should be the 2nd. He hated it so much that he refused to attend any celebrations on the 4th just as a matter or principle. Although he did die on July 4th (along with Thomas Jefferson).

Back