Climbing at the Gunks?

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Anyone here ever fly into the Gunks to go climbing? Suggestions on which airport is closer, ideas on ground transportation?

Thanks

No, but I'm intrigued to see what you find. I've been wanting to fly up to Rumney for a while, mainly out of principle (wouldn't save much time!)

Yeah, flying to Plymouth is easy enough. "interesting" to fly around the windmills and hills. Figured that hitchhiking to the crags would be easier than bringing a bicycle. Even getting a lift back to the airfield wouldn't be hard.

I'll update with what we find. Maybe Gardiner or Stanton and try an uber ride...

Yeah, flying to Plymouth is easy enough. "interesting" to fly around the windmills and hills. Figured that hitchhiking to the crags would be easier than bringing a bicycle. Even getting a lift back to the airfield wouldn't be hard.
I assume this is NH... Plymouth isn't far from me but I've never tried to land there... Drove through there once but didn't see anything to suggest it was a climbers' (or hikers') haven. So what's there?
I'll update with what we find. Maybe Gardiner or Stanton and try an uber ride...
And now I assume you mean in NY... I thought both those fields were private ? :dunno:

Last edited:
Plymouth, NH. 1P1

Rumney is right up the road, and is an excellent sport climbing area. If you climb, let me know. Always looking for climbing partners.

No, but I'm intrigued to see what you find. I've been wanting to fly up to Rumney for a while, mainly out of principle (wouldn't save much time!)

Save time?!?!? That's not really the point... :lol:
You get to FLY to CLIMB!

ignoring that old ground transportation problem...

I assume this is NH... Plymouth isn't far from me but I've never tried to land there... Drove through there once but didn't see anything to suggest it was a climbers' (or hikers') haven. So what's there?

And now I assume you mean in NY... I thought both those fields were private ? :dunno:

Rumney (~5mi W along the same road as the airport) is arguably the sport climbing destination in the Northeast.

I'm just a lowly bolt-clipper but I hear that the Gunks are similar for the trad types.

Save time?!?!? That's not really the point... :lol:
You get to FLY to CLIMB!

ignoring that old ground transportation problem...

Let's go. If you climb at BRG at all we've likely crossed paths.

I think that hitchhiking would work out fine. I can't throw a frisbee up there without hitting someone I know.

Plymouth, NH. 1P1

Rumney is right up the road, and is an excellent sport climbing area. If you climb, let me know. Always looking for climbing partners.
Didn't know that about Rumney, only drove through it (and Plymouth) once.

I hike a lot and like to bag summits, but I'm not much for technical climbing. I've never done anything harder than Class 3.

Let's go. If you climb at BRG at all we've likely crossed paths.

I think that hitchhiking would work out fine. I can't throw a frisbee up there without hitting someone I know.

I don't go to BRG. I do go to the gym in Newburyport sometimes. We'll have to pick a climbing day sometime soon.

Ended up flying into KCDA and spent a weekend riding at East Burke Kingdom trails. Great weekend. Got a cheap cap ride into town with the bikes in the trunk. Good beers, good food, nice floating in the river after a hard day of riding. Highly recommended.

Ended up flying into KCDA and spent a weekend riding at East Burke Kingdom trails. Great weekend. Got a cheap cap ride into town with the bikes in the trunk. Good beers, good food, nice floating in the river after a hard day of riding. Highly recommended.
Caledonia is usually a sleepy little airport. How was it this weekend?

I didn't do any flying after Friday (basically trying to save some pennies). I did go hiking or cycling every day of the weekend though. The highlight was Saturday, drove to Worcester, VT and hiked up the mountain of the same name. Rather steep, rocky trail but great views at the top. Also highly recommended.

I ride KT anytime I can but don't think I could fit my bike in the plane. Love it there.

Great trails, friendly people, good beer, good food, and a great place to oogle fit French Canadian women when swimming in the river. Very cool to see the small town taken over by bicycles. Popped wheels off the bikes to fit in the 172 with the rear seat removed. Sure I'd like it to be faster, but the 172 is becoming the flying small station wagon for me.

I had forgotten about this thread. Made it up to Kingdom Trails a few weeks ago, unluckily enough it was the first weekend of snow up there. Turns out that my bike fits fine in the Diamond.

I couldn't hail a cab from CDA so I rode to the hotel I was staying at (next to the ski area) through the trails. Fun times aside of freezing my ass off.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 171

FYI Gardiner in summer is one of the countries busiest dropzones. Privately owned as well. I'd give it a wide berth.

I had forgotten about this thread. Made it up to Kingdom Trails a few weeks ago, unluckily enough it was the first weekend of snow up there. Turns out that my bike fits fine in the Diamond.

I couldn't hail a cab from CDA so I rode to the hotel I was staying at (next to the ski area) through the trails. Fun times aside of freezing my ass off.

We plan on having a multiple plane crew up there next year. I'll post up beforehand to see if anyone from the board wants to meet up for some riding.

2B1? Nice! That's where I fly to when visiting the in-laws. I'll have to check that out.

Bump. Spring is here, going to head out climbing this spring before the bugs come out. Anyone up for a fly-in climbing session at Rumney?

Used to often hike and mountain bike that region many moons ago. Beautiful area.

Bump. Spring is here, going to head out climbing this spring before the bugs come out. Anyone up for a fly-in climbing session at Rumney?
I'm not flying in to Plymouth in the RG until things harden up, but at some point I might be up for it. What kind of climbing is this? I've never done anything beyond Class 3.

Bolted sport climbing. There's some trad climbing there as well. Cool place.

FYI Gardiner in summer is one of the countries busiest dropzones. Privately owned as well. I'd give it a wide berth.
I am a regular jumper (4,000+ jumps) at The Ranch in Gardiner. Also a Gunks climber. It is great to land there and head for The Gunks. Yes, give Gardiner a wide berth if you are unfamiliar with operating in a DZ environment. If you call ahead and understand jump ops it is a great location relative to The Gunks!

There are lots of options to land near the Gunks. I live a few miles from the cliffs and fly out of a Private grass strip 2NK9. There is a small public paved airport owned by the Gardiner shydiving operation as well called Kobelt N45. It is sleepy and you could ask about an overnight tiedown, but be confortable with 2700' with tall trees all sides and a 20' wide runway. Not as bad as it sounds (I think, as I am only a student pilot, but I can land there solo in a 150, so I hope everyone else can too!). Orange County KMGJ is a nice public airport with services, fuel, and tie downs about 30 minutes away from the cliffs. On the other side of the mountain (north side) is Ellenville N89, also about 20-30 minutes from the cliffs with full services.

I'm quite out of shape, and currently don't have an airplane, but I'm up for this!

There are lots of options to land near the Gunks. I live a few miles from the cliffs and fly out of a Private grass strip 2NK9. There is a small public paved airport owned by the Gardiner shydiving operation as well called Kobelt N45. It is sleepy and you could ask about an overnight tiedown, but be confortable with 2700' with tall trees all sides and a 20' wide runway. Not as bad as it sounds (I think, as I am only a student pilot, but I can land there solo in a 150, so I hope everyone else can too!). Orange County KMGJ is a nice public airport with services, fuel, and tie downs about 30 minutes away from the cliffs. On the other side of the mountain (north side) is Ellenville N89, also about 20-30 minutes from the cliffs with full services.
Heh. A 150? Sure, no worries. Even a 172. A Cardinal RG? Depends on how tall the trees are. I've done 2500 with 50 ft trees, but that is about the limit of what I would be comfortable with. Much taller than that, those extra 200 feet aren't really going to be enough.

BTW congratulations on the solo signoff! Now the real fun begins...

Will probably start climbing again this fall. Too many bugs out now.

Bumping my own old thread...
Flew up to 1P1 with the bike in the back. 5 miles to Rumney from the airfield. Met friends that were camping across the street for the weekend. Great day of climbing. Will definitely do again, 45min flight time vs 2 hours in a car.
i-CnKr3BQ-L.jpg

I've been scoping a couple of other airfields out that are close to climbing areas. Sterling is close to Crow Hill in Leominster....

Too old, fat, and orthopedically damaged to climb any more, and nowhere within a day's drive from Florida worth bothering with. But man do I miss it. Still have a trunk full of trad gear and a nice lead rack. Seneca Rock, WV was my favorite back in the day. Not sure how I would respond to exposure now.

Looks fun!

I could possibly carve out a weekday but am otherwise booked until fall. only climbing indoors these days (littleton MetroRock) but would love to get out.

Back