Eurocopter down in Tennessee River, fatalities, 8/3/2020

For some reason, this hits close to home. My Dad was friends with both of the brothers in college. Still kept in touch off and on over the years, and was a friend of the guy the Claytons hired to be their Citation pilot. My dad will be 87 in October, and he and Jim Clayton are about the same age.

RIP.

a6e6ce363de9ee9046c50fa8217bce5b.jpg

This didn't get much attention here. Post #4 two years later. Anyway, let me see if I got this right. Long article, I just scanned through it. VRS is when you get caught in your own wake?

Yeah, the NTSB report was just released. VRS or settling with power in one’s own wake.

Yeah, the NTSB report was just released. VRS or settling with power in one’s own wake.

This reminded me of the two Virginia State Police troopers that were lost in a 2017 VRS crash. There was speculation one of the pilots purposely entered the VRS envelope to demonstrate the so-called Vuichard recovery technique to the other pilot. He had mentioned the method to another State Police pilot days before the crash.

I hope I'm stating this correctly. As I said in an earlier post, from my rotary wing training years ago, I know just enough about helicopters to show I don't know much. But anyway, Vuichard proponents claim initiating lateral movement and aggressive pedal input to exit VRS is superior to the standard technique of forward cyclic and reduced collective input.

The helicopter was seen traveling at a slow forward speed (insufficient airspeed is a causal factor in VRS entry) in an upright position and then it began spinning as it descended into the ground.

This reminded me of the two Virginia State Police troopers that were lost in a 2017 VRS crash. There was speculation one of the pilots purposely entered the VRS envelope to demonstrate the so-called Vuichard recovery technique to the other pilot. He had mentioned the method to another State Police pilot days before the crash.

I hope I'm stating this correctly. As I said in an earlier post, from my rotary wing training years ago, I know just enough about helicopters to show I don't know much. But anyway, Vuichard proponents claim initiating lateral movement and aggressive pedal input to exit VRS is superior to the standard technique of forward cyclic and reduced collective input.

The helicopter was seen traveling at a slow forward speed (insufficient airspeed is a causal factor in VRS entry) in an upright position and then it began spinning as it descended into the ground.

I never heard anything about trying to demo the maneuver. Most likely too focused on the motorcade they were observing got into it by accident. With no documented training, good chance the pilot had no idea on how to do the Vuichard and simply over torqued the thing trying to recover.

http://aerossurance.com/helicopters/vrs-virginia-state-police-b407/

Recovery made simple…makes so much sense…wish I would have known that 35 years ago…

Back