Dawn Platinum trigger dish soap

Stewartb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
stewartb
Beat aircraft degreaser EVER. And it works great on oil spots on the ramp, too. Spare me the corrosion scare tactics. It works so fast I can spend more time rinsing. Loving it!

It also removes any wax you have previously applied.

It also removes any wax you have previously applied.
Any product that removes the oil & soot will do that.

I don't know how much of a risk corrosion actually is, but I use an aviation specific cleaner. I think there's several that work well and everyone has their favorite.

What I really want is a product that doesn't involve spending hours on a creeper under the plane. I actually found just the thing recently....$300 to the detail guy...

The Simple Green Extreme Aircraft stuff (NOT the regular stuff) works well and is made for aircraft. The best I’ve found so far, even on the belly. 1:1 with water for the belly, 1:13 for a daily cleaner per the label. I “rinse” the belly well with a cloth soaked with plain water several times, just to be sure. The 1:13 can be left as is, I believe, but I tend to “rinse” that the same way too.

Removes wax? Never heard of that. I use Dawn when I wash my planes, but I’ve never waxed a plane that has urethane paint so no problem. It’s truly amazing how well this stuff removes oil drips and spills on my asphalt ramp, and I made a mess while changing oil in the Cessna yesterday.

I started using gojo hand cleaner and I like how it works.
What i used before was a polishing compound. That was work but looked great when done

Removes wax? Never heard of that. I use Dawn when I wash my planes, but I’ve never waxed a plane that has urethane paint so no problem. It’s truly amazing how well this stuff removes oil drips and spills on my asphalt ramp, and I made a mess while changing oil in the Cessna yesterday.
Serious detailers use Dawn when the want to remove all the product beside the paint (Wax, sealers). It will strip wax very well.

After too many hours on my back under the plane I’m going to give the new platinum dawn a try.

Spray on.....spray off!...... Lunch!
41wdo0sFNFL._AC_.jpg

WHAT ABOUT THE CORROSION?!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Simple Green Extreme Aircraft stuff (NOT the regular stuff) works well and is made for aircraft. The best I’ve found so far, even on the belly. 1:1 with water for the belly, 1:13 for a daily cleaner per the label. I “rinse” the belly well with a cloth soaked with plain water several times, just to be sure. The 1:13 can be left as is, I believe, but I tend to “rinse” that the same way too.

An A&P I know says it eats the paint over time.

Maybe people on another forum swear by GoJo hand cleaner (version without grit).

Serious detailers use Dawn when the want to remove all the product beside the paint (Wax, sealers). It will strip wax very well.

Yeap, first step when I did my car with the Zaino system.

Kills wasps too! Mix strong with water in a spray bottle. We had a wasp problem we the plane was parked outside. Can’t spray typical insect poison because of corrosion. Blue dawn drop the wasps as well as anything I’ve ever used. When done just hose the area down with fresh water. I’ve been using it occasionally for over 20 years with no issues.

Detergent water kills insects because it breaks down water's natural surface tension. Surface tension is why water beads on a window rather than floods and how water striders can stride on water. Insects breathe through tiny holes in their carapace which brings air directly to their internal tissues. Water's surface tension and tiny hairs protect these spiracles. Detergent breaks down the surface tension, water flows into the spiracles, and the insect drowns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension

Last edited:
It is great stuff. Works really well on car wheels. Maybe I should get a piece of aluminum and see if powerwash corrodes it

Dawn platinum's primary ingredient is sulfuric acid and various alcohols. This is exactly the stuff that simple green takes out of the aircraft version. I'd be real careful of using it anywhere it can't be completely flushed from.

So your oil filter spills oil all over the firewall, heater box, scat tubes, etc. How would GoJo or WD-40 help? After that mess is created most of it drips out onto the ramp. How does GoJo or WD-40 help?

Simple Green Aviation is simply ineffective. Yes, I have some on the shelf. Not my first choice for cleaning engine compartments.

So your oil filter spills oil all over the firewall, heater box, scat tubes, etc. How would GoJo or WD-40 help? After that mess is created most of it drips out onto the ramp. How does GoJo or WD-40 help?

Simple Green Aviation is simply ineffective. Yes, I have some on the shelf. Not my first choice for cleaning engine compartments.
I use LPS Presolve. Stuff is AMAZING for removing oil. Mineral spirits with a pneumatic syphon sprayer works great, too.

Yes, Varsol and a pressure sprayer works great, and leaves an oily residue. Dawn works nicely to clean up the mess it leaves. And, it does a great job on dishes, too. Handy! ;)

Bottom line, I made an unexpected mess. I have 5 gallons of Varsol, a quart of Simple Green, GoJo, and a variety of other products in the hangar. I tried something new and it worked surprisingly well, so I shared a pirep. If you haven’t tried it? You won’t know.

Happy 4th!

Last edited:
So your oil filter spills oil all over the firewall, heater box, scat tubes, etc.
Yah oil changes can be messy. I use the plastic bag the filter comes in, slide over filter and hold in place when unscrewing filter. Works pretty good. Filter and oil contained in the bag. One slip when removing it gets messy. Maybe a small petcock that could be driven into filter so you could drain before removing would work.

Anti Splat Aero makes a fitting for compressed air to blow oil out of filters that tilt up. It works very well. Maybe I’ll adapt it for a suction gun, and pull oil out of my downward tilted Cessna filters.

Mineral spirits (or any of less volatile petroleum derivatives) does pretty well on oil/grease without being too harmful.

Dawn platinum's primary ingredient is sulfuric acid and various alcohols. This is exactly the stuff that simple green takes out of the aircraft version. I'd be real careful of using it anywhere it can't be completely flushed from.
The main ingredient in the Simple Green is phosphoric acid and various alcohols…

Disagree, Avgas works as the best degreaser. Takes it right off. No need to buy any third-party products.

For anyone concerned about wax removal, any oil on the belly effectively dissolved your wax protection. Wiping off the oil removed the mixture of oil and wax.

Arguably, the oil can protect the paint underneath. Sure, possibly corrosive with acids from crankcase oil, but I haven’t seen an underbelly that isn’t shiny once cleaned, except for exhaust/lead impacted area; your topside probably looks worse from UV impact). My mileage, not yours...

Last edited:
If you don't mind blue stains, getting lead on you, and working with a dangerously volatile solvent, go right ahead.
That’s what nitrile gloves are for. If you wipe it right off, which I’m assuming you would, you won’t get any blue stains. The stuff evaporates so fast, volatility also isn’t a concern. Works like a charm. YMMV.

Volatility is not a concern? Back when I was in the fire service, we'd see people set things on fire on a regular basis cleaning their garages with gasoline.

The main ingredient in the Simple Green is phosphoric acid and various alcohols…
Actually citric acid. Not seeing any phosphoric acid but it's pretty much the same as sulfuric only with phosphorus instead of sulfur. But yes, the major ingredients in both SG and Dawn Platinum is acid, ethoxylated alcohol, and surfactants. The airplane SG has TEA (another alcohol derivation), the ethoxylated alcohol high on the list. It has a much higher pH than either Dawn or regular SG.

Volatility is not a concern? Back when I was in the fire service, we'd see people set things on fire on a regular basis cleaning their garages with gasoline.
I’m sure you did, but I can nearly guarantee that it wasn’t from doing what we’re discussing here. That’s typically the result of poor handling practices. Once the Avgas evaporates and dries, which it does incredibly fast after wiping with a rag, it’s no longer flammable and the risk of vapor ignition is nearly nonexistent.

I thought detergents generally were bases, not acids, so high pH. They are caustic. Still not great if paired long term with aluminum. But I am only going by prior knowledge, have not looked at the ingredient lists of various cleaners lately.

Actually citric acid. Not seeing any phosphoric acid but it's pretty much the same as sulfuric only with phosphorus instead of sulfur. But yes, the major ingredients in both SG and Dawn Platinum is acid, ethoxylated alcohol, and surfactants. The airplane SG has TEA (another alcohol derivation), the ethoxylated alcohol high on the list. It has a much higher pH than either Dawn or regular SG.
According to the MSDS the Simple Green doesn’t have citric acid but it does have sodium pyrophosphate which is as much of an acid as the sulfonic acid esters in Simple Green, i.e. not at all. There is no actual sulfuric acid in the soap and the pH is 9. The Simple Green is 10 but in either case neither is acidic at all.

I clean the belly of my C195 after ever flight. I use a cloth dampened with odorless mineral spirits followed by a clean dry cloth.

On oil leaks on the engine, I use Brakekleen ( Red Can Only )...use in well ventilated open area and catch drippings on a tarp. Non flammable, but IS harmful to breathe. The Red version does not harm most paint on accessories ...the Green has Methyl Alcohol and is basically paint remover. Ask me how I know this !

Gunk degreaser works well on engine cowling when I removed it for maintenance...rinse with water.

For anyone concerned about wax removal, any oil on the belly effectively dissolved your wax protection. Wiping off the oil removed the mixture of oil and wax.

Arguably, the oil can protect the paint underneath. Sure, possibly corrosive with acids from crankcase oil, but I haven’t seen an underbelly that isn’t shiny once cleaned, except for exhaust/lead impacted area; your topside probably looks worse from UV impact). My mileage, not yours...
WD-40 works well for that too.

Mineral spirits (or any of less volatile petroleum derivatives) does pretty well on oil/grease without being too harmful.

I agree and have it a lot in the past. It drys fast and does not leave a oily surface if you get the surface clean.

I thought detergents generally were bases, not acids, so high pH. They are caustic. Still not great if paired long term with aluminum. But I am only going by prior knowledge, have not looked at the ingredient lists of various cleaners lately.
The thing isn't just detergent. I got the pHs and the ingredients straight from the MSDS for all three products.

Not saying it's safe for aircraft, just pointing out no sulfuric acid listed here:
https://martinsfoods.com/groceries/...ashing-liquid-soap-refreshing-rain-scent.html
The thing isn't just detergent. I got the pHs and the ingredients straight from the MSDS for all three products.
Not disputing you, and out of simple curiosity, I'd like to see the links.

Back