Half Moon Bay: Off Airport Restaurants

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I am planning my first IFR to Half Moon Bay today (KHAF). I see lots of posts about the great restaurant on the field, but any recommendations off-airport? Are they walking distance, and if so, how far and directions? Is it easy?

Thanks, Nor Cal aviators! Looking forward to our visit to cooler temps from Palm Springs (KPSP), where the high will be 105 today!

There are a bunch of spots in Princeton (part of Half Moon Bay). I have never tried to walk it but it is right next to the south airport fence. I'd guess a ~10 min walk into Princeton but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

There are a bunch of spots in Princeton (part of Half Moon Bay).
This. My info is a bit over a year old, but The Landing (Old Princeton Landing I think) was our usual stop for a fish sandwich. Barbara's and HMB Brewing are good as well. Mezza Luna is a little more 'high end' but also good. They've got a little coffee shop on the E side of the Oceano that's got decent espresso. Sam's Chowder House is a farther away and has been jammed every time we've tried it, not worth the hike or the wait for us. We've tried a couple places in the harbor proper but I can't for the life of me remember anything about them.

Nauga,
far afoot

The off-field restaurants are a very short walk from the southeast ramp. Once in a while that ramp will be closed due to police driver training, which should be announced in a NOTAM. In that case, you will have to park on the central ramp, which is on the northeast side of the runway, and walk a little farther. In that case, there will probably be an announcement on the AWOS, telling where to get a ride past the closed area. Make sure you note the combination before exiting through the southeast pedestrian gate.

If you feel like doing more walking before or after lunch, there is a short trail that takes you along the shore to Pillar Point, where you will see a bunch of seals or sea lions on an offshore rock. The trail begins at a parking lot that is a few blocks southwest of the pedestrian gate. There is also a longer trail that goes north up onto the bluff, starting across the road from the same parking lot, and a much longer shoreline trail that starts just south of the marina. That one is paved and goes several miles to downtown Half Moon Bay.

Last edited:
Back