Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
10 days.
Anywhere west of I-25 (ie high ground)
August
2 ppl in full size 4wd pickup
largely paved roads; no rough stuff although if a gravel road was not washed out or really rough I'd do that to get to a summit/lookout.
motel/hotel only; no camping.
Bonus points for rushing water/waterfalls.
Zero points for crowds.

Just want to mindlessly stare at stunning scenery out the truck window
and maybe short, non-strenuous hikes of max 5mi <500' vertical.

Send points of interest, and preferred routes.

I concur, Hwy 550 sometimes called the million dollar highway usually keeps away the Front Range day trippers. However with the amount of folks traveling this summer there is no guarantee you will be the only one on the road.

Per the website: '' The route demands 100% concentration. This road has humbled many egos. It’s not for the sissies and shouldn’t be attempted by novice drivers.''

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html

https://www.durango.com/million-dollar-highway/

Silverton railroad (if running this summer) - do not confuse with Silverthorne.
Oddly enough, the ski areas are great during the summer, but can be crowded.
I-70 to Glenwood Springs. Just east of it -- An easy hike up to Hanging Lake but you need a reservation now. Too many people were trashing it the last few years
Hot springs and whitewater rafting at Glenwood Springs...including the famous Hotel Colorado.
https://visitglenwood.com

Grand Junction - Colorado National Monument with monoliths and canyons
Aspen, just because you can see outlandishly expensive vacation homes. And the zip line is fun. On the positive side, Aspen is famous for the Maroon Bells.
https://aspenchamber.org/plan-trip/trip-highlights/maroon-bells

I concur, Hwy 550 sometimes called the million dollar highway usually keeps away the Front Range day trippers. However with the amount of folks traveling this summer there is no guarantee you will be the only one on the road.

Per the website: '' The route demands 100% concentration. This road has humbled many egos. It’s not for the sissies and shouldn’t be attempted by novice drivers.''

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html

https://www.durango.com/million-dollar-highway/
There is a high sphincter factor on 550 until a half dozen miles above Silverton but the first time I drove it was in a 45’ motorhome. I followed a tanker rig up the switchback at the south end of main street in Ouray. I figured if it could pass, so could I. It was quite interesting looking down over the, marginal at best, safety barrier into the deep ravine below. Quite a spectacular drive. I went back there to do the ATV trails in a side by side a few years later. Amazing country. There are some well maintained dirt/gravel roads to old mines up the Animas river (Animas Fork?) that are easy in 2wd truck.

VERY western CO could include eastern UT. Valley of the Gods is on BLM land and people camp there wherever they want. Moki Dugway is an entertaining drive out of there to places like Natural Bridges. Lots of other stuff over that way too. Not sure if you’re interested in early Native American history but lots to see around that whole area in that regard too.

…Zero points for crowds…
Park it all and hit the Continental Divide Trail north of 70, then. There will still be people though.

Elsewise, do a run down Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Pretty sure Mesa Verde NP will be busy.

One more….Sand Dunes Natl Monument

All excellent suggestions. Colorado National Monument is impressive and ample hotels in the area.
Absolutely incredible driving roads and great scenery if you have time to look up/around along Route 141 from Grand Junction (definitely stop at the Gateway Car Museum!) to Route 90 (which becomes Route 46 when entering Utah) to 191 south of Moab, then up through Moab. From there, Route 128 back to I-70 then East into Colorado.
You won't be a bit disappointed!

Leadville. Independence pass. Maroon bells.
Echo Durango silverton narrow gauge railroad. Ditto Mesa verde. Like telluride and hot springs.

I lived in Grand Junction for a while in the Redlands area with the Colorado National Monument literally just outside of my backyard, it's definitely a must see.

Since I live in Steamboat Springs in the winter, I usually recommend it. However, there’s a big reconstruction going on at the base of the mountain. Still lots to do like hiking, tubing, golf, festivals, etc. but better next year.

Denver sort of relocates to the Silverthorne-Breckenridge-Copper-Vail areas on weekends so avoid them.

Earlier suggestion are better:cool:

Cheers

Going to Kolorado and trying to avoid crowds is like saying I'm going to L.A. to avoid traffic. Although probably worse in Denver at times. Anyway, anyplace that is nice will be a zoo. So look to places that may not be desirable at the time you are wanting to go. August, lower elevation, desert areas. As suggested Colorado national Monument and Dinasaur National monumnet. In Fact Brown' park is great. Will be hot a dry (probably) but some interesting history. Look up the Basset Sisters for some for some great stuff. The Museum in Baggs, Wy. has some really neat stuff, and battle Pass is really nice. Closer south is Gateway. Good museum and John brown Canyon then go over the La Salles' to Moab. Again it will be hot in August ( I think you said August). On the southern Front rage, a visit to Bishops Castle is worthy. Trail of Legends is also a great drive. If you don;t mind the heat, the canyons of S.E. Colorado are really spectacular. Good hiking. Largest set of Dinosaur tracks and they are still being uncovered. Amache is worth the stop as well. But very hot this time of year, that's why the crowds will be lighter.

Northern New Mexico, off the beaten path and on your way to some of the further north suggestions. Take your time, enjoy the drive up to your “destination”. Air B&B, instead of hotels/motels.

The loop from Durango to Pagosa Springs, (great natural hot springs, very clean and well run), then to Creed via Wolf Creek followed by Lake City is historical and picturesque. Then you can detour to Gunnison (Black Canyon) or return to Durango via 550, Red Mountain pass and Silverton. Spectacular drive with great little reaturants along the way, (ask for local knowledge). You can push it in 2-3 days or cruise slowly over 1 week. Plenty of b&b’s and riding stables.

Hwy 14 from Ft. Collions through Poudre Canyon and out to Walden. All sorts of trails along the way inside the NF.

Back