How much does your mechanic or avionics person charge?

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I've seen some variability, and am wondering, how much does per hour do you aviation professionals charge per hour to work on your plane? Is it different for avionics? Are some services flat rate and if so which? I had someone recently that his avionics shop charges $60 per hour, seemed cheap. Given how busy and backed up some shops are, I'm surprised others do not charge more. Also, have they raised rates recently? It seems everything else costs more these days.

Just trying to get a feel for the rest of the country/world.

Thank you.

My shop's stated hourly rate is $110/ hour. The DOM tends to actually bill on a flat rate per job, which in reality turns out to be significantly less than the man hours spent times 110. I usually stick around & help and they don't even charge me extra for that :D. I'd say $80 is probably pretty close by the time it all washes out.

Road Warriors tend to look at travel mileage/time vs productive labor hours by the day. There are some jobs you can’t really justify . But.

My mechanics charge $85 per hour but normally just charge me for the whole job and are very fair. I do all of the grunt work and learn under their instruction when able since they are very busy. Semi-Local avionics shop in Milton FL charge $65/ hour which is cheap I’ve heard. They are all older and work slow they tell me.

The stated rate is $90/hr but I usually get it back with a lot of extras that weren’t billed for. It’s also less if I help out

Nothing if I make a $500 tax deductible donation to the Civil Air Patrol. This is for supervising and inspecting and the annual but I do all the mechanical work. Mechanical work on an airplane is usually quite easy compared to working on a late model car.

Last edited:
Anywhere between 80 and 100 an hour depending if I’m up north or down in Florida.

Sometimes it’s $2.98 ( the price of a key).

It depends heavily on the job and location of the airplane. I have a certain amount I need to make in a day, or a half day. Normally works out to about $85-$100 per hour. If traveling I change the daily, plus expenses. I also have a minimum as applicable. Driving to an airport across town for a small job doesn't work out well unless I change a minimum. On the other hand, I always cut the customer a break (approx 40%) on locating parts, research, and paperwork, but only of I can do it at my convenience while at home. I also tend to adjust the price based on simplicity, or complexity. Odd I know, but if it’s super simple job that anyone can do, such as a light bulb, I don’t charge much. If it’s a more complex, high liability situation, I tend to charge towards the upper end of my range. I mainly deal with customers I know and have a good working relationship with. If the customer is a complete PITA, or the situation is a total schitt show, the rate always lands at the upper end of the scale:)

Avionics? $145/hr in North NJ. He ain't killing it, the costs are just that high for everything here.

These GA shops are rediculiously low.

But when i see they want to hire MXs with 3 years exp and they offer $25/hr they wonder why no one applies.

Wanna know why GA A&Ps are a dying breed? $85/hr shop rate leaves almist no meat on the bone.

Last edited:
These GA shops are ridiculously low.

But when i see they want to hire MXs with 3 years exp and they offer $25/hr they wonder why no one applies.

Wanna know why GA A&Ps are a dying breed? $85/hr shop rate leaves almost no meat on the bone.

I agree, 85 an hour is not enough. Last I checked my avionic shop charges 90 an hour. My business charges 125 an hour from the time we leave the shop to drive to customers home do perform expert service. Not aviation related.

Our local plumbers charge $150 per hour. Not joking.

My auto mechanic charged $85 per hour 10 years ago.

After going thru the aggravation, frustration, and massive learning curve of building my own plane it's hard to imagine anyone running an aircraft mx business for $85 an hour. And by business I mean all the associated costs, including insurance.

Even $110 an hour seems far too low when you take into account all business costs AND the excessive inefficiencies that go along with working on any aircraft.

This business model is simply funding other peoples aircraft ownership.

Our local plumbers charge $150 per hour. Not joking.

My auto mechanic charged $85 per hour 10 years ago.

After going thru the aggravation, frustration, and massive learning curve of building my own plane it's hard to imagine anyone running an aircraft mx business for $85 an hour. And by business I mean all the associated costs, including insurance.

Even $110 an hour seems far too low when you take into account all business costs AND the excessive inefficiencies that go along with working on any aircraft.

This business model is simply funding other peoples aircraft ownership.

Years ago I did auto and truck repair after hours for mainly friends and relatives. It is sure way to ruin relationships. They think since you are doing it "on the side" that you should do it dirt cheap. You put a starter on their car and when the headlite burns out it and must be because you replaced the starter. Not worth it sadly!

When you actually do the work and know how then you realize the true cost. Customers don't have a feel for that in most cases. The way it going not many will be able to make a living charging 85 hr. 125 hr is not getting rich.

BTW our local Kenworth truck dealer is charging 185 an hour to service your truck.

Last edited:
How about $1,000 to swap a mag? Doesn’t include parts! Sounds high right? Not necessary! A lot goes into it, depending on the situation of course.

I’d be happy to pay $150 for a plumber. Usually more like $200/hour out here. And every one I’ve talked to is working 12 hour days as many as they want.

My AI/AP is an outlyer at $35/hr. He is part time. I keep telling him he needs to raise his rates, for everyone else.

Reactions: Jdm
My AI/AP is an outlyer at $35/hr. He is part time. I keep telling him he needs to raise his rates, for everyone else.
Part time as in no shop/rent or insurance payments? $35 an hour take home is not bad. Gross? N.o.p.e.

I don’t begrudge anyone charging what they need to make a decent living. However, what I don’t like is the inability to get a estimate to do a job. I have heard of a lot of mechanics who don’t have good troubleshooting and reasoning skills when it comes to diagnosing a problem. Luckily my AnP does, so he is worth what I pay him.

Just got the oil changed at a small rural NE Ohio airport. $95 per hour labor. Avionics is $115 per hour. They had about six people working on planes. Two full hangars of planes being worked on. Three flight instructors and 30 students. It is nice to see what a small airport can do when they have a well run FBO.

$130 in the Northeast seems to be the going rate

Wow, we just bought a Piper Archer and had the locks replaced at the local FBO in our small Midwest Airport. We got the statement today and we were charged $300 per hour for 3 hours labor. A definitive learning moment for sure

Last edited:
Our partnership has an A&P who does most of the non-owner work. He donates his time. The IA who does our annual charges enough to support a boating habit.

A huge issue for independents is Insurance.

When you need it it’s too late.

It’s important to realize it’s not only “ hands on “ time.

Researching and ordering parts can get costly.

Wow, we just bought a Piper Archer and had the locks replaced at the local FBO in our small Midwest Airport. We got the statement today and we were charged $300 per hour for 3 hours labor. A definitive learning moment for sure
Congrats on the Archer, they are nice flying airplanes.

Back