$10,000 to get off Delta flight

I have never seen them offer cash. They offer credit for future flights.

And they will only offer up the amount that it costs them to involuntarily bump people.

"Most bumped passengers who experience short delays on flights will receive compensation equal to double the one-way price of the flight they were bumped from, but airlines may limit this amount to up to $775. Passengers experiencing longer delays on flights will receive payments of four times the one-way value of the flight they were bumped from, but airlines may limit this amount to up to $1,550. Please see the tables below."

https://www.transportation.gov/indi...assengers who experience,amount to up to $775.

So why offer $10,000, when the law limits them to $775 for a domestic flight?

The last flight I was on they were offering cash (I believe loaded onto a gift card) for volunteers. I seem to recall them going up to $800.

And they will only offer up the amount that it costs them to involuntarily bump people.

"Most bumped passengers who experience short delays on flights will receive compensation equal to double the one-way price of the flight they were bumped from, but airlines may limit this amount to up to $775. Passengers experiencing longer delays on flights will receive payments of four times the one-way value of the flight they were bumped from, but airlines may limit this amount to up to $1,550. Please see the tables below."

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/bumping-oversales#:~:text=Most bumped passengers who experience,amount to up to $775.

“If you have Apple Pay, you’ll even have the money right now,” the flight attendant said, Aten wrote.

If this weren’t unusual it wouldn’t be a news story, would it?

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/bumping-oversales#:~:text=Most bumped passengers who experience,amount to up to $775.

The limit is for being bumped. There is no limit to what the airline can offer to get you to voluntarily give up your seat.

From the same link you posted:

"There is no limit to the amount of money or vouchers that the airline may offer, and passengers are free to negotiate with the airline."

Edit: and to answer your question about why they would offer $10,000 if they could just bump passengers for $775... it's because they would rather offer and pay $10,000 to get someone to voluntarily give up their seat than run into another Dr. Dao situation. That fiasco changed the way airlines handle bumping passengers.

They offered my wife and I $500 each once. We said that we’d take it if they were willing to go to $2k each. It was a short 3 day trip and we’d have missed out on a full day. They balked and said they couldn’t go that high.

I think they eventually found someone else to bump.

I would have been out the door before they finished the announcement. Ten Grand for another day or so delay? SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!

Cheers

it might depend on where you are...

Well, it would have meant another day in Grand Rapids, so I guess I can understand the offer being so high....

Me too. 10 grand buys a whole lotta things that rhyme with lookers n snow.
Boogers and crow?

I can't believe someone didn't take the money before they got to 10k. Unless Delta has no clue how to negotiate.

Probably for a crew they needed ,so they wouldn’t have to cancel a moneymaking flight.

I have offered to give up my seat many times and received free flight vouchers, but I never used any of them. They either expired, or had some other restrictions on travel dates. I will never do that again unless it is a cash award.

I like Delta’s approach to that problem. United would have picked people at random, beaten them up, then dragged their bloody carcasses off the plane.
See... this is why Delta was offering $10,000. Because it doesn't really matter that United didn't pick Dr. Dao "at random" nor did United "beat them up." But that was the media narrative, so that's what people remember.

Much easier to throw money at the problem early than pay for the PR nightmare later.

I have offered to give up my seat many times and received free flight vouchers, but I never used any of them. They either expired, or had some other restrictions on travel dates. I will never do that again unless it is a cash award.
I got one of them once. Tried to use it but it wouldn't work for any where we wanted to go when we wanted to. But we did get a night in a great room in St Maarten, chow included. And a First Class seat on the plane they put us on the next day.

I was bumped in Chicago once and they gave me $400 on a card and a free round trip anywhere.

See... this is why Delta was offering $10,000. Because it doesn't really matter that United didn't pick Dr. Dao "at random" nor did United "beat them up." But that was the media narrative, so that's what people remember.

Much easier to throw money at the problem early than pay for the PR nightmare later.

True.

The airlines have done such a thorough job of pizzing on, and thus pizzing off, the flying public that no one is willing to give them a break.

And United did initiate that incident. They would have been much better off paying people 10k or more to give up seats.

The limit is for being bumped. There is no limit to what the airline can offer to get you to voluntarily give up your seat.

That was my point.

If the limit is $755 to involuntarily bump someone, then why offer $10K?????

I can see offering more, in airline credit, to keep people happier. But not 15X.

And United did initiate that incident. They would have been much better off paying people 10k or more to give up seats.

How did they "initiate" the event? They offered X for taking a later flight. He accepted. Then he changed his mind. And just boarded the plane, without a valid boarding pass (his was cancelled when he accepted the offer to deplane."

If you notice in the video, the seat next to him was empty. That what where his wife was still in gate area after they accepted the offer.

If the limit is $755 to involuntarily bump someone, then why offer $10K?????.
Because they got no volunteers at a lower number. Keep raising until enough people say yes...

That was my point.

If the limit is $755 to involuntarily bump someone, then why offer $10K?????

I can see offering more, in airline credit, to keep people happier. But not 15X.
Who cares? If they offer me $10000, I’ll take it. If they offer $25000, I’ll even take that:D

Cheers

But they don’t have enough money to give us a new contract….rrrriiiiggghhttt:mad2:

Two separate items, and $10k is a drop in the bucket compared to pilot salaries across the organization. It’s not really a valid comparison.

Two separate items, and $10k is a drop in the bucket compared to pilot salaries across the organization. It’s not really a valid comparison.
Totally. But the broader point is management’s ineptitude to lead and constantly making excuses for their **** poor decisions.

Totally. But the broader point is management’s ineptitude to lead and constantly making excuses for their **** poor decisions.

I won’t disagree, especially because I follow airline contracts precisely zero and don’t like flying pretty much any airline (although these days it’s mostly Delta, really Republic, because they fit my schedule).

But my point is more comparing a $10k to save a PR nightmare over a booking blunder vs money for pilot contracts are really very separate issues financially, and it doesn’t help one’s argument to correlate them.

For one of my flights out to see my now-husband, Delta was offering $500 in cash plus some vouchers for free stuff for people willing to get bumped to the next-day flight, so Delta definitely offers cash when flights are too full.

I used to fly out of ATL every monday morning on the first flight to a variety of places. I used to think that when I retired, I was going to buy a cheap ticket on the first flight to PHL or ORD. I would show up with no intention of flying, but instead be one of the 10 or so volunteers to get bumped. Every week they were offering flight coupons and $$ to get people off. Worst case I'd have a quick trip to philly or chicago..

Yes, but I understand his frustration. They paid 8 people $10,000 each. $80k would make a decent pay raise for one pilot.

They offered X for taking a later flight. He accepted. Then he changed his mind. And just boarded the plane, without a valid boarding pass (his was cancelled when he accepted the offer to deplane."

Got any evidence for that? Because every account that I can find agrees that he never accepted anything and that the incident played out after all passengers had already boarded. As far as I can tell, what you've written is a straight up lie.

Yes, but I understand his frustration. They paid 8 people $10,000 each. $80k would make a decent pay raise for one pilot.

Yeah, I get it too - I think every worker at a big company has felt that way. But if Google is right, the Delta has 13,000 pilots. That $10k wouldn’t make much of a raise divided evenly.

Got any evidence for that? Because every account that I can find agrees that he never accepted anything and that the incident played out after all passengers had already boarded. As far as I can tell, what you've written is a straight up lie.
Come on. How can you doubt a guy that’s done an Immelmann on takeoff in a mig-29?

For one of my flights out to see my now-husband, Delta was offering $500 in cash plus some vouchers for free stuff for people willing to get bumped to the next-day flight, so Delta definitely offers cash when flights are too full.

You turned that down just to see @TwoBitSpeed ? Wow......

:devil:

Back