Just bought my own plane

Roger Wyatt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RogerW
I picked up a Piper Cherokee 140 with the 160 conversion. IFR panel with 2 G5's, S-Tec 30 autopilot, and a GNS430. Has a second radio. Brought her home 2 weeks ago and have already put 15hrs on her. I was wanting to hold out for prices to drop, but with interest rates heading up, I balanced out the price versus payment and took the leap.

I was really tired of renting. Can't effectively do any traveling with a rental. I did a day trip to visit my parents and the rental cost for 5.5 hours was more than 2 payments on the plane. That was my last day I rented a plane.

I found N1732J and immediately went to look at her. Paint is great. Interior is so-so (back seats okay, front seats worn out and headliner is torn but I have the material to redo that). The GNS430 is functional but obviously dated. Engine is strong and dry. Pre-buy had no squawks, just a note for next year's annual.

My plan is to use it to travel and get my IFR. Next year I'll address the interior. May end up upgrading the 430 to the 650 before I'm ready to move on.

I'm based at KFCI. Anybody who wants to meet up and fly somewhere, message me. My co-pilot approved of the purchase :)

IMG_8068.jpegIMG_8054.jpeg IMG_8065.jpeg

congrats! soooooooo much better than renting!
I know! It's nice to know that I don't have to call and reserve and worry about when I'm coming back. Sure I'm paying for it every month and the maintenance is on me, but the freedom is worth every penny

Congratulations and welcome to the club. There are many adventures ahead for you!

Not big on 140s, but looks like you bought a nice one.
I get that. I needed a time builder and something to get my IFR that was a good starter plane. With the 160 conversion, she has 807lbs useful load (not taking into account MFA - "my fat ass") and can get me and my daughters around until I'm ready to move up.

Congratulations!!
I so happy for you. I know it feels great to fly when you want without making a reservation.

I flew my buddies 140 for about 30 hours.

Yours looks to have a nice paint job, beautiful looking.

Congrats. It’s a great plane. I made the exact same purchase in December. Same here, interior was in terrible shape so that was the first thing I addressed. Gutted everything and put a new interior in including the hat rack which added a lot of space in the back. No need to rush and do it all at once if you’re planning on keeping the plane long term. I literally do one project per annual. Last was the interior, next is ADSB out. At some point it’ll be panel. Enjoy the plane! I just crossed 78 hours since December. Flew the Cherokee more than any other plane I’ve owned in just 7 months of ownership lol.

Thanks, Chris. I want to either do the hatrack, the baggage door, or the 3rd window (which would give me more baggage room though not externally accessible). Baggage door would be my preference, but I think that would take a field approval. I'm just learning the ins and outs of it all. I'm sure things will change.

Thanks, Chris. I want to either do the hatrack, the baggage door, or the 3rd window (which would give me more baggage room though not externally accessible). Baggage door would be my preference, but I think that would take a field approval. I'm just learning the ins and outs of it all. I'm sure things will change.

I considered all three options. Hat rack was the least complicated one. It’s a Piper part and straightforward to install.

Third window STC: I talked to Knots2U as they have it on their website but they said they don’t own the STC and referred me to the person who supposedly owns the STC. I called that company and they told me it’s all with Knots2U so I scraped that.

Baggage door: This would be nice as it makes loading the plane easier but I couldn’t figure out what is needed to get this done or if it’s even possible (my plane is registered in Canada so regs a little different from the US).

Hence I did the hat rack and it works fine. I took the backseats out and have plenty of space for bags and dog even when going on week-long trips.

Congrats!! Good call on the purchase vs. renting if you are going to put it to use - and it looks like you are!! Those smiles!! That's what it's about.

KFCI.... you are close to a bunch of us who (try to) meet up for lunch or breakfast runs... places like KCGE (Cambridge, MD), KMTV - Simply Suzanne's.... amazing burgers (mmmmmmm burger)... TGI (Tangier) for crabcakes... JGG (Williamsburg) Charly's for lunch outside... So many places to visit. Oh and I fly in to FCI for King's Korner BBQ on a semi-regular rotation. Anyway, congrats and feel free to DM me if you want to try to meet up for a lunch run in the future. Lots of other PoA'ers close to you, as well who like flying and food (not necessarily in that order) who could fly to meet up if schedules work out.

Congrats again!!

Quick edit - my daughter is 12 so maybe close to to your kiddo's age... love that she's in to flying with you! These are memories that both of you will never forget.

Congrats!! Good call on the purchase vs. renting if you are going to put it to use - and it looks like you are!! Those smiles!! That's what it's about.

KFCI.... you are close to a bunch of us who (try to) meet up for lunch or breakfast runs... places like KCGE (Cambridge, MD), KMTV - Simply Suzanne's.... amazing burgers (mmmmmmm burger)... TGI (Tangier) for crabcakes... JGG (Williamsburg) Charly's for lunch outside... So many places to visit. Oh and I fly in to FCI for King's Korner BBQ on a semi-regular rotation. Anyway, congrats and feel free to DM me if you want to try to meet up for a lunch run in the future. Lots of other PoA'ers close to you, as well who like flying and food (not necessarily in that order) who could fly to meet up if schedules work out.

Congrats again!!

Quick edit - my daughter is 12 so maybe close to to your kiddo's age... love that she's in to flying with you! These are memories that both of you will never forget.

Definite put me on your PM list if you guys are meeting somewhere nearby. Was thinking about going to Williamsburg tomorrow, never landed there and it looks pretty cool.

My youngest is 11 and I have an 18 and a 32yr old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats!! I like Cherokees, and I kinda think 160 isn't a bad thing at all. Paint job looks really nice. I've flown with an S-tec 30, too, and like it a lot. Maybe not fancy, but I kinda like simple. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun.

Congrats! Enjoy your plane and the freedom to travel!

A few good things about owning...
No more extra fees renting when you travel.
Everything will be exactly where and how you left it when you climb aboard.
YOU will monitor repairs and be keeper of the squawk list.

Last edited:
That is a nice airplane! I owned a 1968 with the 160 engine for 14 years. I see yours has the bulkhead behind the rear seat.. I added the CAVERNOUS back shelf for more luggage space, including about 1 foot of added floor space behind the rear seat. It was by far the best upgrade I did, and at the time it only cost about $1500.

Enjoy your new bird! Congratulations!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3SW8DBtx2tJXGDXn9

Last edited:
Nice!! IMHO - if you're getting your IFR training, put that GTN 650xi in as fast as possible.

Congrats on your new plane. The 140 should be easy on the pocket book as far as maintenance goes..

I get that. I needed a time builder and something to get my IFR that was a good starter plane. With the 160 conversion, she has 807lbs useful load (not taking into account MFA - "my fat ass") and can get me and my daughters around until I'm ready to move up.

I sometimes get kind of tired of people saying this airplane or that airplane is a “good time builder,” or some such subtle put down. Unless a person is super rich, there are always going to be airplanes that are farther up the food chain than the one they have or want. If you have an aerial vehicle that can safely get you airborne and back on terra firma, you are far more privileged than most of this world’s population. You are obviously proud of your “new” airplane, Roger. Don’t let anyone steal your joy!

Congratulations on your baptism into airplane ownership! It can be expensive, frustrating and infuriating sometimes, but there is not much else in this world quite like it. Now, go enjoy it! Don’t worry about starting to spend money on new gadgets and goodies. Your 430 can do all an instrument airplane needs to do. Work instead on your skills, and enjoy it!

I’m more of the why wait to install the 650 or what not. Kind of like living in a house for 10 years and then finally buy new carpet - right before you sell and move.

Get it now and enjoy! Huge bang for the buck!

BtW - with the price of fuel your plane looks really smart now vs other choices. 9 gallons/ hour?

A flightstream 210 and an ipad will give you most of the benefits of a gtn.

I sometimes get kind of tired of people saying this airplane or that airplane is a “good time builder,” or some such subtle put down. Unless a person is super rich, there are always going to be airplanes that are farther up the food chain than the one they have or want. If you have an aerial vehicle that can safely get you airborne and back on terra firma, you are far more privileged than most of this world’s population. You are obviously proud of your “new” airplane, Roger. Don’t let anyone steal your joy!
100%!
I love seeing people like @Chrisgoesflying taking epic trips in "trainer" airplanes. No such thing. Look what Josh Flowers has done for himself with a lowly 172, and he flies that thing all over the country. My airplane would be considered "fast" compared to a 140/160, but compared to a TBM it's a joke. It's what I can afford and it takes me & mine where I want to go, when I want to go. There's nothing like your own plane.

I went cfi free FlyQ, and a triple hand me down iPhone 6… and a Pietenpol!

You’re gonna LOVE your bird. You can actually talk to your daughter… really couldn’t do anything but hand signals with my kid… but I could see the smile!

It’s all about the smile.

Some airplanes are time builders, because if you use them to go places, you will build a LOT of time. :D

I remember one trip from Baltimore area to Atlanta in a friend's PA28-180. He was under the hood, and I was watching the trucks on I-81 pass us.

But ALL flying is good.

Back