Flying is Fun!

Shuckers86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Shuckers86
Since returning to GA flying after 35+ years in the Part 121 world I’ve taken several people flying. A lot of my passengers are early 20 somethings wondering if they want to be airline pilots. I’ve also flown with a few young pilots, one is a CFII, already on the professional track to the majors. One common theme I’ve noticed is that none of the pilots at these college/professional flight schools have ever flown just for the pure enjoyment of flying. When I first learned to fly I took up anyone and everyone from my parents, siblings, classmates, etc. I think it even helped me catch my wife who was well above my pay grade. It’s bothering me a little that these kids are so focused on the destination that they are not savoring the journey. I would guess the main reason is cost. Another thing I believe contributing to this trend is flight schools don’t rent planes to their students. I’m not sure about ATP but I think L3 doesn’t let students use their planes. I’ve always thought flying is fun whether it’s a Tomahawk, CE210, MD11, B767, or my current ride the 172! Fly Safely and Have Fun doing it!

I think most of your aviation learning comes from flying for fun and the adventures. I remember taking my multi instructor low across the state at 500' in a Husky. I think it damn near blew his mind that you can fly for fun. It's a different world outside of aviation academia and more people need to experience it.

It’s bothering me a little that these kids are so focused on the destination that they are not savoring the journey.

I had exactly that discussion with my first CFI. Didn’t do him a lick of good. All he could think about was getting an airline gig. Last I heard he got busted for fudging hours in his logbook...

Yep, same here. Everyone wants that majors gravy train. I asked my first CFI what his favorite plane was and he couldn’t answer. He didn’t have the bug. Obviously any aircraft built pre 1960 is the most awesome. DC-3, Beech 18, C-195, Stearman, big, round, jugs is where it’s at. Not that I get to fly them, but the dream is there.

For now it’s the C-170 for play and CE-550 for work.

I fly for fun! as much as possible in my own 172 also!

My buddy was like that 40 years ago when he started flying. Always flying for work, he worked his way up, now a SW Captain for 21 years now.
It was only about 5 years ago that he bought own plane to fly for fun. We have fun flying together and I get to learn from him. I am so lucky.

Larry hits a good note with his perspective in this short video ...

His video and voice over, pretty much sums it up. Unfortunately, I’m also a golfer, so I’m always looking to save some coin!

There is also CAP where you can do Cadet Orientation flights. And you don't pay a cent in fuel or airplane costs. :)

My first two instructors to get my initial license were diehard aviators. No youngsters trying to get to the airlines. Both in their 60s having flown for fun and to teach for decades out of small airfields with their own small 172s. Learned a ton from them. Then I temporarily moved to the city and wanted to keep upgrading my license. All there was was a pilot mill. Took one lesson with a guy who was clearly just trying to do his time for the airlines. Took one lesson with him and never went back. Moved back out to the country a little over a year ago and found another instructor who is doing it for the fun of it albeit he’s younger but doesn’t want to go to the airlines. He just does everything, instructing, spraying, pipeline, some charter. Just wants to fly and makes a great instructor. You can tell if someone loves to fly or just wants to build hours.

As someone who always wanted to fly since age 3-4 and strongly considered flying professionally but decided not to because the pay ceiling was too limited, this whole thought process doesn't really compute... But then again, there are a lot of popular things I just can't understand - like people watching pro sports or liking Maroon 5...

Anyway, 3000 paid for flight hours later, while I'd be lying if I said I enjoy my day job more than a pro pilot gig (at least what I imagine it would be) I'm still glad that I chose a career that allows me to do aviation for fun in ways that work for me and keep it genuinely fun.

Last edited:
Flying is fun,I do cross country flights,100 dollar breakfast flights,and young eagle flights to pass on the thrill of aviation.

Back