Changing an IFR plan

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
I'm beginning some self study for my Instrument rating as I pick up my cross country time to get close enough to do Part 61 training. One thing I've run into on my longer trips is my pilot endurance vs aircraft endurance. I've filed VFR flight plans from departure point to final destination but often have to stop to drain the pilot pitot prior to final destination. Typically I have simply closed it at this midpoint airport and filed a new one when I'm ready to get back on my way. I'm curious how you take a detour like this if you are flying under an IFR flight plan and are in IMC. Can you simply request a redirection to a nearby airport or what? One of the many idle thoughts that come up.

I'm beginning some self study for my Instrument rating as I pick up my cross country time to get close enough to do Part 61 training. One thing I've run into on my longer trips is my pilot endurance vs aircraft endurance. I've filed VFR flight plans from departure point to final destination but often have to stop to drain the pilot pitot prior to final destination. Typically I have simply closed it at this midpoint airport and filed a new one when I'm ready to get back on my way. I'm curious how you take a detour like this if you are flying under an IFR flight plan and are in IMC. Can you simply request a redirection to a nearby airport or what? One of the many idle thoughts that come up.
Yes.

Simply pick your diversionary field and request it from ATC. They are required to ask why the reason for the divert, and you can tell them.
"Pilot's physiological needs"
"Heard that airport has a good BBQ joint across the street"
"FBO has free ice cream"

"request reroute to ABC....", "request diversion to XYZ ..."

I have heard them ask for reasons, with "I have to make a peepee" being a perfectly acceptable response. also, "tinkle" and "#1" should work.
Or I need to Drop a Deuce

I know "stuff changes", but better yet - have a decent idea of your biological capabilities in advance of your journey. Don't plan a 5-hour trip with a two-hour bladder.

:yeahthat: I only plan for 3.5 hr max, 3 hr optimum legs for this very reason.

I know "stuff changes", but better yet - have a decent idea of your biological capabilities in advance of your journey. Don't plan a 5-hour trip with a two-hour bladder.

One might think the point is obvious but it's easily overlooked, especially as you get older. It's also a good idea to make sure everything is empty before the flight to maximize your chances of making it as planned.

You can always ask for a diversion if you want to stop somewhere. It’s possible that you’ll have to hold before making an instrument approach if there are other pilots in line in front of you and you can’t cancel IFR.

With the real question answered and confirmed, let’s focus on what euphemism you can give to ATC to explain your non-emergency diversion. I vote for “Weight and balance adjustment.”

Flying from Atlanta area back to SE PA, my passenger needed a stop.

I asked the controller for a divert to Lynchburg for "physiological needs." The response was "What? OH." Then a lot of laughter, and "Cleared Direct to Lynchburg, descend to X thousand, pilot's discretion."

C’mon guys… the term is “pilot discomfort”.

Re IFR… it’s called a DRAFT report:
-new DESTINATION
-new ROUTE
-requested ALTITUDE
-FUEL onboard
-expected TIME enroute

“center this is skyhawk 12, I would like to change my destination. Request present position direct placewithajohn, 6000’, fuel 2+30, 10 minutes enroute, over.”

Or just say “uh, I wanna go to x instead of y” and they’ll ask you all those questions.

If you need to recover mid cycle (as in you took off a carrier) request an “emergency pull forward for pilot discomfort”. You’re GONNA hear about it at the next kangaroo court. Live with it!

How timely. I just came across a certain Youtube video on the topic. It wasn't IFR specific but it did address the issue.

Center, 4PL requests change of destination to AXS and start down right now. Cleared direct Altus Quartz Mountain, descend and maintain 5000, do you require assistance? No sir, our dog decide he needs to take a dump. (Laughter), contact Altus Approach 125.1.
ATC is pretty accommodating, sometimes they will ask.

We were flying from KAEG to KOKC on a recent coast to coast flight...it was pretty turbulent at all the altitudes, and in the end we couldn't take 4 hours of that. Simply told ATC we were diverting to KAMA and they cleared us direct. They did ask and "just because" seemed like a valid answer.

Several years ago they removed the requirement to ask GA why they were changing destination unless the controller thought something was suspicious. If the controller asks now it is just out of habit.

In this day and with the price of gas use better gas price as a reason. Controller will understand.

Back