What will happen next?

thesmug

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
thesmug
Happened while I was away. FAA is currently involved. Just had to deal with ordering a 4000 dollar bumper for the landing gear earlier today. Time to buy a new rudder too! Maybe more! Any other things you guys think should break while we're at it?
upload_2022-7-1_0-18-59.png

How did they hit you? I hope you know and can prove who did that. He/she should pay the $4k for f***ing up your rudder.
I have no idea. I got an email at midnight about damage to the plane from the airport. Looks like it was probably a Citation or similar since I'm right in front of that kind of FBO and based on how high up the damage is. Too low to be a Cessna wing, obviously way too high to be a Piper or similar wing. They know what plane hit it and they said the FAA is already investigating. I have literally not gotten to fly the plane even once since we bought it and now this happened.

From LiveATC I was able to figure out their number. I'm sure I would have gotten it in the morning but it's nice knowing I know who it was now.

I hope it is "just" the rudder. I would have an A&P check the vertcal stabilzer mounts and hinge points for hidden damage/cracks... which hopefully should all be paid for by the party that hit you.

It looks like 2 folds just in front of the vertical stab too. That sucks.

I'm a claims adjuster so in my opinion you should report it to your insurance company. The FAA won't help you get it paid for and they're really only interested in if there is a damaged aircraft flying out there now, not yours.

Your claims guy will make you whole and pursue the responsible party. But don't break more stuff, that's insurance fraud and claims guys are mechanics and pilots so they know what ramp rash looks like.

But don't break more stuff, that's insurance fraud and claims guys are mechanics and pilots so they know what ramp rash looks like.
Sorry I meant that in a sense of “just my luck, what else could go wrong” not that I was going to commit insurance fraud!

And in case anyone was wondering, the guy also hit at least 5 flight school airplanes as well.

Got a link to the recording? Would love to hear it!

Got a link to the recording? Would love to hear it!
It’s KPWK, July 1 at 0200 and 0230 on LiveATC. I have a zip file with the relevant recordings if that would be easier. Not sure why but when I try to link the recordings it doesn’t work right.

I have no idea. I got an email at midnight about damage to the plane from the airport. Looks like it was probably a Citation or similar since I'm right in front of that kind of FBO and based on how high up the damage is. Too low to be a Cessna wing, obviously way too high to be a Piper or similar wing. They know what plane hit it and they said the FAA is already investigating. I have literally not gotten to fly the plane even once since we bought it and now this happened.

I was trying to find a post to give you a thumbs up for encouragement and sympathy for not being able to fly a new to you airplane. Didn't want people to think we were cheering the mishap.

Yikes brother hang in there, we are all pulling for you and a good outcome!

It’s KPWK, July 1 at 0200 and 0230 on LiveATC. I have a zip file with the relevant recordings if that would be easier. Not sure why but when I try to link the recordings it doesn’t work right.
I'll look it up after work. I'm based at c81 and know an instructor at Leading edge. What flight school drew that unlucky straw? Is the FAA looking into it because the dude was drunk? Regardless, we all feel for you. Some here have been down a similar path and it ain't a fun one

I'll look it up after work. I'm based at c81 and know an instructor at Leading edge. What flight school drew that unlucky straw? Is the FAA looking into it because the dude was drunk?
I believe it's Chicago Executive Flight School, since a bunch of their planes are parked right next to mine and we're right in front of the building they're in but it might be Windy City Aviation. The FAA is looking into it because the tower was still active and the ground controller saw the planes get it. You can hear him give the pilot a phone number on the recording.
I have heard C81 a bunch of times while on 122.7 with IGQ, where the flight school I learned at does takeoff and landing practice.

I believe it's Chicago Executive Flight School, since a bunch of their planes are parked right next to mine and we're right in front of the building they're in but it might be Windy City Aviation. The FAA is looking into it because the tower was still active and the ground controller saw the planes get it. You can hear him give the pilot a phone number on the recording.
I have heard C81 a bunch of times while on 122.7 with IGQ, where the flight school I learned at does takeoff and landing practice.
My dad used to own N11228 that that school now has. Surprised you heard Campbell chatter, there will be 3 day blocks where it's just my me or my dad's planes flying out of there. Granted the weather on those no traffic days might be garbage, but still. @Jim K once called it "rustic" and that sums it up. But it's nice almost never having to wait to takeoff...but sad too.

I hope it is "just" the rudder. I would have an A&P check the vertcal stabilzer mounts and hinge points for hidden damage/cracks... which hopefully should all be paid for by the party that hit you.
That there. The fin spar might be damaged, especially at it the fuselage's aft bulkhead. The bulkhead itself might be deformed or cracked. Even if nothing is cracked, I bet the fin isn't vertical anymore.

And in case anyone was wondering, the guy also hit at least 5 flight school airplanes as well.

Wow...And flew away in the offending plane. I would really like to hear what that pilot has to say about this, or more importantly what the FAA has to say about flying a damaged airplane.

Wow...And flew away in the offending plane. I would really like to hear what that pilot has to say about this, or more importantly what the FAA has to say about flying a damaged airplane.
I don't think the plane flew again. Is there something to suggest he did and I missed it? FlightAware shows no new flights after last night from that plane.

Ok, the part about ''they know what plane hit it and the FAA is investigating'' that led me to believe it was possibly a plane taxing out to depart, or just repositioning the plane on the airport. Also the part about the FAA is investigating because the tower was open kind of makes it sound as if it might have happened in a controlled movement area.

My mistakes.

So the offending plane did not fly after the accident.??

Anyway, the whole thing sure bites and I hope it gets taken care of and you get to fly it soon.

Ok, the part about ''they know what plane hit it and the FAA is investigating'' that led me to believe it was possibly a plane taxing out to depart, or just repositioning the plane on the airport. Also the part about the FAA is investigating because the tower was open kind of makes it sound as if it might have happened in a controlled movement area.

My mistakes.

So the offending plane did not fly after the accident.??

Anyway, the whole thing sure bites and I hope it gets taken care of and you get to fly it soon.
It's kind of complicated. He was coming in to the FBO behind where I park. Inexplicably, they decided that taxiway A, which is a movement area and leads directly towards a hangar with a gigantic and extremely obvious sign for the FBO they were going to, wasn't right, and turned left past the FBO and onto F which is not a movement area. The space between the parked planes and the perimeter fence there is obviously too small for a Citation. Still on ground frequency, the pilot said something about making a wrong turn and wanted to exit onto B, which means he had gone through the full length of F and had to have already hit planes and didn't say anything. A minute or so later, the controller says that he was informed that the plane had had a collision and the pilot basically said something equivalent to "hm, really?" and the controller gave him a number to call and said he was filing a report. I have attached a diagram I drew last night to help myself understand the situation. Hopefully it makes it more clear.

Sorry if my question sounded confrontational. I thought maybe you saw something I didn't.
unnamed.png

My dad used to own N11228 that that school now has. Surprised you heard Campbell chatter, there will be 3 day blocks where it's just my me or my dad's planes flying out of there. Granted the weather on those no traffic days might be garbage, but still. @Jim K once called it "rustic" and that sums it up. But it's nice almost never having to wait to takeoff...but sad too.
I just got to the airport and you’ll be happy to know that N11228 wasn’t hit, at least.

I just got to the airport and you’ll be happy to know that N11228 wasn’t hit, at least.
Meh, that one has nothing sentimental to me, in fact I never even flew in it. More concerned about yours. Just sucks. If you meet the pilot, I'll hold him down so you can kick him in the nackers.

Meh, that one has nothing sentimental to me, in fact I never even flew in it. More concerned about yours. Just sucks. If you meet the pilot, I'll hold him down so you can kick him in the nackers.
The plane was parked at the FBO when drove by so he’s somewhere around.

My friend had his 182 whacked the same, but just a scratch visible on the exterior. A month later at annual they found hidden, internal damage ie cracked mounting brackets/bulkheads and it is going to be 3 mo & $15K.

He knows where it happened but the fbo refuses to release the ramp CCTV files! So his insurance covers him and if they want to be compensated by the fbo, they have to sue.
(it’s a large airport where they park you, they tug you, they marshall all movements)

Attachments

• upload_2022-7-1_15-32-46.png
    upload_2022-7-1_15-32-46.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 21
My friend had his 182 whacked the same, but just a scratch visible on the exterior. A month later at annual they found hidden, internal damage ie cracked mounting brackets/bulkheads and it is going to be 3 mo & $15K.

He knows where it happened but the fbo refuses to release the ramp CCTV files! So his insurance covers him and if they want to be compensated by the fbo, they have to sue.
(it’s a large airport where they park you, they tug you, they marshall all movements)
That’s what I’m worried about. We have a good mechanic who is already going to take it apart to look for that sort of stuff. Being from a family of lawyers, we’re already fully expecting to sue.

The good news is they will have decent insurance. I would also consider asking for diminished value due to the damage history the aircraft will have. I am guessing by the time you repaint and other damage we are talking a 30k repair.

Back